Syracuse and the Big Ten | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse and the Big Ten

I do think this is along the lines of how it could play out. The B10 will keep pushing for their first choices, and be declined. Then, they'll nibble around the edges (taking some 2nd and 3rd choices) until their first choices have to commit.

There was a tiny tidbit...I think on the RU board. Don't know how true it was, but they were saying how RU was originally approached at an AAU meeting. Just have a feeling non-AAU might be the deal breaker.

Count me in the Kansas to B10 camp. Been thinking that since Nebraska joined. Think they'll find a way to make it happen without having to take KState.

We just have to keep making ourselves marketable (winning) so we're trending up when it all goes down.

Syracuse just got bumped up to R1 (Highest Research) Carnegie status today.

I think the B1G is still having heartburn over passing over NY for NJ. Syracuse would have carried NYC better in hoops and football than Rutgers and would have carried Upstate. Not to mention, Syracuse would not have embarrassed the B1G in every way imaginable.

The irony is that they bought RU for the sake of television and the reports are coming in that more and more people are cutting the cable. Net result, all three household that left their TVs on by mistake while a Rutgers game was being played may actually be cutting their cord soon. Gotta hand it to the B1G, a full share in a few more years for all three TVs! Well, that and a guarantee will for the marquis teams.

I think the B1G is still having heartburn over passing over NY for NJ. Syracuse would have carried NYC better in hoops and football than Rutgers and would have carried Upstate. Not to mention, Syracuse would not have embarrassed the B1G in every way imaginable.

The irony is that they bought RU for the sake of television and the reports are coming in that more and more people are cutting the cable. Net result, all three household that left their TVs on by mistake while a Rutgers game was being played may actually be cutting their cord soon. Gotta hand it to the B1G, a full share in a few more years for all three TVs! Well, that and a guarantee will for the marquis teams.

Eh, the B1G is rolling in dough, I doubt they regret much. Rutgers makes more sense for them institutionally and geographically than SU. And SU makes more sense institutionally and geographically for the ACC. Everything worked out fine, I think.

Eh, the B1G is rolling in dough, I doubt they regret much. Rutgers makes more sense for them institutionally and geographically than SU. And SU makes more sense institutionally and geographically for the ACC. Everything worked out fine, I think.
I am happy with the ACC, I was just pondering the the B1G's decision making skills. They had the chance when TGD wanted to get Syracuse into the B1G or ACC.

As soon as Cantor got booted?
We aren't going to get re-admitted to the AAU for years. They don't like adding schools easily. It takes a long time. Cantor F'ed it up by cutting research dollars during her tenure.

Also, Syracuse is never joining the Big Ten as it isn't a good fit with only 1 private school and all other large state land grant universities and two the Big Ten wouldn't want us. Big Ten wants Oklahoma/Texas if they are expanding not UConn/Syracuse types.

This. Of course the counter is this...

Eh, the B1G is rolling in dough, I doubt they regret much. Rutgers makes more sense for them institutionally and geographically than SU.

Time will tell which truly matters more.

I, for one, am happy we are in the ACC, but that doesn't mean the B1G didn't make a mistake by wanting Rutgers far more than they wanted us.

Cheers,
Neil

omniorange said:
This. Of course the counter is this... Time will tell which truly matters more. I, for one, am happy we are in the ACC, but that doesn't mean the B1G didn't make a mistake by wanting Rutgers far more than they wanted us. Cheers, Neil

They wanted TV HHs and some goofball claim to "NYC" which we all know is silly nonsense. SU didn't "give" then NYC anymore than Rutgers does and NJ TV HHs are more of a sure thing in terms of BTN distribution than upstate NY.

Plus Rutgers is an easier trip for the hordes of B1G fans to descend upon for football than CNY.

I think they got what they wanted. A patsy program in a high population state.

Who cares, really. We're where we should be. Rutgers can enjoy trips to the midwest.

M

the big 10 money would be fantastic for the school/athletic dept but as a fan I prefer the ACC conference for all sports, and traveling to those sports. I couldn't be happier to be in the ACC.

Hoping to get to Duke this spring for the lax game and Clemson for the football game. perfect.

How much risk does the Big Ten network have to the changes in Cable delivery that have to be coming?

Orangeman said:
How much risk does the Big Ten network have to the changes in Cable delivery that have to be coming?

It will be about pivoting to a subscription service, probably bundled with something. If they can survive the in between, they'll be fine.

But really all the conferences are at some risk by cord cutters.

the big 10 money would be fantastic for the school/athletic dept but as a fan I prefer the ACC conference for all sports, and traveling to those sports. I couldn't be happier to be in the ACC.

Hoping to get to Duke this spring for the lax game and Clemson for the football game. perfect.

Agree 100%, would hate being in the big 10. Hate it. The ACC gets Syracuse enough $$ to compete in all sports

Outside of more $, what other benefit/reason is there to hold the B10 in higher esteem?

Didn't the ACC increase the buy-out figure for schools leaving the conference to something ridiculous?

How much is it?

Syracuse is a better fit institutionally with the schools in the the ACC but a better fit for proximity to regional rivalries for those in the B1G. Especially if UConn were to go B1G.

Syracuse is right where they should be.

so is rutgers.

but again, the smart move wouldve been for the ACC to take rutgers with us & pitt and sit at 15 for football and 16 for hoop.

it also wouldve been intersting to see what the b1g then did. maryland may still have left (idiots), but i wonder who gets the call for 14?

texas??

okie??

both and no maryland??

Syracuse is right where they should be.

so is rutgers.

but again, the smart move wouldve been for the ACC to take rutgers with us & pitt and sit at 15 for football and 16 for hoop.
Would've been interesting if Maryland had stayed and the ACC went to 15 for football by adding Rutgers.
XII would immediately grab Louisville and Cincy to go to 12.

Syracuse has no need to schlep out to Iowa/Nebraska/Minnesota every year. Similar distance, same timezone travel to warmer climates in alumni areas are a much better fit.
From a regional standpoint Pitt :: PSU, BC :: NJSU. Yes, the B1G counterparts are a bit more convenient.

I don't disagree, but one thing I found interesting is that of the 14 B1G teams to be, 8 of them are in the Eastern time zone. Having all teams in EST is better, and all the other reasons people are stating.

B1G offers one thing, which is 100% chance of lifetime stability. ACC's probability is probably higher than people give it credit for, but 100%? Not sure.
concussions change how much i value that lifetime stability. i'm not trying to hijack, just saying that I highly discount all long term scenarios

concussions change how much i value that lifetime stability. i'm not trying to hijack, just saying that I highly discount all long term scenarios

I don't even know when I wrote that comment. I don't think it was me. I must have been hacked.

ACC and Knibb High Football Rule.

CousCuse said:
Syracuse is a better fit institutionally with the schools in the the ACC but a better fit for proximity to regional rivalries for those in the B1G. Especially if UConn were to go B1G.

Huh?

BC = Rutgers
Pitt = PennSt
Wake/Ville = MD

Conferences overlap, it's basically a wash. And as trumpeted by the ACC previously, the east coast is growing pop wise far faster than the mid west.