Syracuse and the Big Ten | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse and the Big Ten

No we haven't. Both teams have struggled but they have been to more bowls the last decade and what NFL talent have we put into the NFL besides Chandler and Pugh recently?

They are ahead of us until we have a productive 3 year run.

Those are your definitions. If you were media member and you were buying stock, which team would you go with right now?

Us.

Those are your definitions. If you were media member and you were buying stock, which team would you go with right now?

Us.
Of course its subjective. I would SU stock of course but right now RU would be slightly ahead of us perception wise IMO.

Alsacs said:
Of course its subjective. I would SU stock of course but right now RU would be slightly ahead of us perception wise IMO.

Sure. I'm not 100% - just think perception is beginning to shift already. If we have the season I think we'll have and Rutgers implodes (like what a 65% chance they are awful next year?) - then in one season we pass them, not 3.

Just saw this thread...you guys better not be leaving already.

ridiculous.

2 & 3 are set attendence wise.

or at least 3 is.

a drop in wins wont affect anything other than their own attendence, there is no real spill over.

plus, no team is really 'out of it' in the NFL till after college football is over...baring a 0-the schedule type season.

rutgers does need to get more competitive, but right now they 'out butts in the seats' Syracuse by about 20k and they are quite popular amongst the folk in northern NJ.

i cant walk into a bar without seeing some kind of rutgers paraphernalia, 1 in every 4 cars it seems has big stupid Fn red R on it...and they do extremely well in getting families through the pop warner programs to all go.

make fun of them all you want, the last AD was a freakin joke and they really need to make a splash HC hire in the big 2 sports, but theyre not going away.
Are Rutgers stickers on cars and paraphernalia in bars a true sign of how much people are following them? I admit attendance is important, but are people watching them on TV? I honestly do not know, and if the numbers say they are, I will stand corrected. From everything I know and have heard about Rutgers football, they've rarely been a major force in New Jersey.

Are Rutgers stickers on cars and paraphernalia in bars a true sign of how much people are following them? I admit attendance is important, but are people watching them on TV? I honestly do not know, and if the numbers say they are, I will stand corrected. From everything I know and have heard about Rutgers football, they've rarely been a major force in New Jersey.
no idea, but it shows theyre not ignored and are most certainly on the radar. attendence backs it up.

as for tv, winning will trump all. theres not 1 Syracuse game watching bar in northern jersey, but i can find 1 rutgers game watching bar in every town...and every household will end up watching lsu-bama later that day.

and i always love this argument when it comes to boston too, just because people live there...theyre now supposed to root for the local college??

pro's i get...you should. i still hate all the michael jordan bulls fans and the pokes fans from the 70s & 90s have got the 20 years of pain they deserve.

imo, in a large mass populated state where tons of transplants live and/or went to different colleges, the best game of the week will always be the highest rated game of the week. to slam rut or bc because of that is foolish and simple minded.

scooch can tell us the ratings, but id bet the # of eyeballs watching is significant, even if the rating is like a Cuse-dook hoop game x 4.

no idea, but it shows theyre not ignored and are most certainly on the radar. attendence backs it up.

as for tv, winning will trump all. theres not 1 Syracuse game watching bar in northern jersey, but i can find 1 rutgers game watching bar in every town...and every household will end up watching lsu-bama later that day.

and i always love this argument when it comes to boston too, just because people live there...theyre now supposed to root for the local college??

pro's i get...you should. i still hate all the michael jordan bulls fans and the pokes fans from the 70s & 90s have got the 20 years of pain they deserve.

imo, in a large mass populated state where tons of transplants live and/or went to different colleges, the best game of the week will always be the highest rated game of the week. to slam rut or bc because of that is foolish and simple minded.

scooch can tell us the ratings, but id bet the # of eyeballs watching is significant, even if the rating is like a Cuse-dook hoop game x 4.
Oh, I agree that I'm not sure Syracuse would do much better in the Big 10. My only argument is that I don't think Rutgers brings anything to the table for them. As a long Boston resident, I can attest that you are correct that people in the area generally do not care. And that's why i think even if Rutgers is winning (and there's no doubt they have a long way to go) I don't think they would drive much interest unless the pro teams were down.

No we haven't. Both teams have struggled but they have been to more bowls the last decade and what NFL talent have we put into the NFL besides Chandler and Pugh recently?

They are ahead of us until we have a productive 3 year run.
Most people recognize that bowls of the last decade mean little unless it is a big time bowl. Rutgers hasn't been in the big bowls. Perception in this are is that Syracuse played LSU tough, played Clemson tough and had QB injuries while still saying, "What's a Rutgers?"

ridiculous.

2 & 3 are set attendence wise.

or at least 3 is.

a drop in wins wont affect anything other than their own attendence, there is no real spill over.

plus, no team is really 'out of it' in the NFL till after college football is over...baring a 0-the schedule type season.

rutgers does need to get more competitive, but right now they 'out butts in the seats' Syracuse by about 20k and they are quite popular amongst the folk in northern NJ.

i cant walk into a bar without seeing some kind of rutgers paraphernalia, 1 in every 4 cars it seems has big stupid Fn red R on it...and they do extremely well in getting families through the pop warner programs to all go.

make fun of them all you want, the last AD was a freakin joke and they really need to make a splash HC hire in the big 2 sports, but theyre not going away.
They also give away a crazy number of tickets. When SU played USC in the Meadowlands a couple of years ago, RU also had a home game - granted it was against a nobody. However, we had something like twice the paying customers, but they had a bigger attendance. That's how they get the Pop Warner kids to go. They give tickets away to them under the theory that 1) maybe they'll buy a soda/shirt/program/pop corn/etc. and 2) maybe they'll grow up to be RU fans.

SU doesn't do that to the same extent. I'm sure we give away free tickets, but not like they do.

It's also worth pointing out that most bars in the Syracuse area had SU stuff in it and RU signs on cars aren't the same as RU fans. It's a big school, so there are bound to be a ton of R signs, but most of the RU grads that I know like the university but are into things other than college sports.

Most people recognize that bowls of the last decade mean little unless it is a big time bowl. Rutgers hasn't been in the big bowls. Perception in this are is that Syracuse played LSU tough, played Clemson tough and had QB injuries while still saying, "What's a Rutgers?"
I tend to agree. Most fans on these sites over-analyze everything. Most normal fans don't.