Syracuse basketball big man Dajuan Coleman makes progress. Will he play this season? (PS: Ditota) | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball big man Dajuan Coleman makes progress. Will he play this season? (PS: Ditota)

Reading that does not make me like his chances, which is too bad, because we could really use him this year. By all accounts Dajuan seems like a great teammate who has been doing all of the right things to play again. I am really pulling for him.

Fingers crossed.

This season is pretty much a bust without him.

Can't count on Obokoh at backup center, and McCullough would foul out in minutes there.

Fingers crossed.

Can't count on Obokoh at backup center, and McCullough would foul out in minutes there.

Keita played some of his best games in his career during his freshmen year. I think Obokoh will rise to the challenge. He's already had a year practicing with the team.

Regardless of if he plays this year the effort that he has made to shed the pounds and get in shape will benefit him the rest of his life. I wonder if he might come back after the Christmas break

Coleman could really benefit from a year off without concerning himself with staying prepared for games. Work like mad on refining (or gaining) basketball skills, maintain a fitness level, and come back ready to have a terrific half-career starting in the fall of 2015.

Fingers crossed.

I hope he makes it back too. But, if our season is a bust without our backup center then this program is in a lot of trouble. Can't count on a redshirt freshman to be our backup center? Why not? Just because you haven't seen him play? He may be better on the floor than our backup last year. Regardless, we're counting on him with or without Coleman so get used to it.

cuseincincy said:
I hope he makes it back too. But, if our season is a bust without our backup center then this program is in a lot of trouble. Can't count on a redshirt freshman to be our backup center? Why not? Just because you haven't seen him play? He may be better on the floor than our backup last year. Regardless, we're counting on him with or without Coleman so get used to it.

I say this because we have so little depth. I'm reserving judgment on Obokoh. But I hate to count on a redshirt player who hasn't stepped on the court. A healthy, productive Coleman would be a huge asset.

Didn't Obokoh lose a year of eligibility? He's a sophmore, not a redshirt freshman.

Have NO FEAR, WE'LL BE PHI SLAMMA JAMMA THIS YEAR!!!SUball

Marroniac said:
Didn't Obokoh lose a year of eligibility? He's a sophmore, not a redshirt freshman.
I said he was a redshirt, not a redshirt freshman. It doesn't make him any more experienced.

"...three months of crutches, to three weeks of walking, to a month and a half of the stationary bicycle to shooting, the elliptical and the StairMaster..."

Anyone have an idea of what surgery would require this kind of protocol? Microfracture? Is it cuseregular that is the resident orthopedic surgeon on here?

This quote kills me: "Jogging is next". How about swimming and other low-impact exercises.

You right they probably don't have adequate medical staff evaluating the progress of this? I mean cant we just trust the team and the doctors are doing the right thing.

"...three months of crutches, to three weeks of walking, to a month and a half of the stationary bicycle to shooting, the elliptical and the StairMaster..."

Anyone have an idea of what surgery would require this kind of protocol? Microfracture? Is it cuseregular that is the resident orthopedic surgeon on here?

Yes, microfracture surgery would require this kind of protocol. I've posted this before, but it fits here:

Here is a really good clinical evaluation of microfracture surgery on NBA players.

The article logs the performance of 41 NBA players pre-and post microfracture surgery. I'll give you the highlights in case you don't want to read the piece:

-Average Return to Sport time (able to play at full speed) was 9.2 months.
-Only 71% (29/41) were able to return in the season following surgery
-Performance on RTS after microfracture was significantly declined versus premicrofracture in points and steals per game and free throw percentage
-Following microfracture, players played significantly fewer seasons, fewer games overall, and fewer games per season versus premicrofracture

So if Dajuan did have microfracture surgery, it appears that he faces an uphill battle much steeper than most of us originally thought.

if 3,4, and 5 r our biggest problem this year, we win it all. certainly bj, silent g and Rochester o will need to contribute a bit too, but we'll be as good as some talented players develop. no team in recent memory has the fire power up front as we do. Roberson and chris. they are lethal.

Yes, microfracture surgery would require this kind of protocol. I've posted this before, but it fits here:

Here is a really good clinical evaluation of microfracture surgery on NBA players.

The article logs the performance of 41 NBA players pre-and post microfracture surgery. I'll give you the highlights in case you don't want to read the piece:

-Average Return to Sport time (able to play at full speed) was 9.2 months.
-Only 71% (29/41) were able to return in the season following surgery
-Performance on RTS after microfracture was significantly declined versus premicrofracture in points and steals per game and free throw percentage
-Following microfracture, players played significantly fewer seasons, fewer games overall, and fewer games per season versus premicrofracture

So if Dajuan did have microfracture surgery, it appears that he faces an uphill battle much steeper than most of us originally thought.
Yeah, since it's essentially a last ditch effort to grow cartilage, his knee must've been in rough shape (assuming this is what was done). It's too bad. Hopefully he can at least bounce back enough to play at a collegiate level again.

Knee's and big guys are weird. Some are just constant problems and once they have them its over. Other guys like Dajaun Blair just play without cartilage and with torn ligaments in there knee and are plenty effective.

Whatever the outcome, I hope that DaJuan does what's in the best interest of his long term. Would prefer to see him sit out if he really isn't physically up to it this fall, and have him back for two strong seasons, as opposed to one season where he's hobbled and one strong season. Sucks that our interior positions are unsettled heading into next year, but that's my philosophy.

if 3,4, and 5 r our biggest problem this year, we win it all. certainly bj, silent g and Rochester o will need to contribute a bit too, but we'll be as good as some talented players develop. no team in recent memory has the fire power up front as we do. Roberson and chris. they are lethal.
More nonsense. Don't you ever learn?

Let's be honest here. Dujuan has a long & tough comeback road. Even before he was hurt he was failing to fulfill expectations.

I am rooting for him, and wishing him the best, but in terms of his ever becoming a significant factor for the Cuse, regretfully, I just do not see it happening.

Between Diagne, maybe Bryant, and Obokoh our big man future is going in a different direction. I think if DC was to be a big factor, this was the season for him to establish himself before the others arrive and/or mature. Now it is sounding less & less likely that he will see much if any of the court this season.