Syracuse Doesn't Leave Campus, The State, The Region Before The New Year | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Doesn't Leave Campus, The State, The Region Before The New Year

bryanradams

Walk On
Yes, we all are tiring of hearing it.

I wanted to take a look at the last 10 seasons and see the reality of the Cuse not leaving the 315, the state or the NE region before the New Year. As we all know, one kernel of truth can get exaggerated and then if lazy reporting is allowed to dictate, it becomes “reality.” We know that Cuse is penalized for playing in MSG, so I didn’t count those games (which is absurd). I don’t want to want to say, “what about College X?” because I don’t know if there is the same uproar when Duke/UNC plays Nov/Dec games in Greensboro/Charlotte or when Kansas plays in Kansas City. I cannot factually say, “no one ever talks about when those guys do it!”

So here’s the cold-blooded truth:

13-14: Cuse played in Maui starting 11/25

12-13: Cuse played at Arkansas 11/30 (I probably should count the ship game in San Diego on 11/11, hey thats two games before December!)

11-12: Cuse played at NC State 12/17

10-11: Cuse played Michigan in Atlantic City 11/26

9-10: Cuse played in St. Pete against Florida 12/10

8-9: Cuse played Florida in Kansas City on 11/24

7-8: Cuse played at Virginia on 12/5

6-7: Cuse played at Canisius 11/25

5-6: Cuse played Towson somewhere in Pennsylvania for Gerry 12/27

4-5: Cuse played at Siena 11/27

Maybe there wasn’t much talk about it last season, but I can’t see how it ever became a topic in the last 10 years. Seriously?

OK, I know there will be debate about the Canisius and Siena games, which are in-state and “neutral” games (neutral, because the games are not on campus but in the host school’s city auditorium). But every program plays in-state games. Granted, NYS doesn’t have the quality lineup of non-marquee schools like the states of Ohio or North Carolina, but no big time school wants to make it a habit of playing these schools on the road or neutral. I guess it would be better for Cuse to have a rotation of Fordham, Siena, Hofstra, Manhattan, Iona, Stony Brook instead of Colgate, Cornell, St. Bonaventure, Niagara, Canisius, since the former group tends to put together stronger teams more often than the latter group. Again, I don’t know if there was uproar when Duke used to play Davidson every year (before they got really good), but in-state games are on every team’s schedule, so let’s not single out a few teams when it’s commonplace.

Seriously, how did this narrative ever attach itself to the Orange?

Maybe there wasn’t much talk about it last season, but I can’t see how it ever became a topic in the last 10 years. Seriously?
Seriously, how did this narrative ever attach itself to the Orange?

Great post! I like the effort you put into it with good information.

I think broadcasters are just lazy. They don't spend the time to learn the Orange players so they just say the same old every time. And ESPN just hates Syracuse for whatever reason (accept J. Bilas, he's been good lately). And don't get me started on that jack donkey from CBS. Holy molly!

anyone have a stat on jb's winning percentage before the first compared to after

Great post! I like the effort you put into it with good information.

I think broadcasters are just lazy. They don't spend the time to learn the Orange players so they just say the same old every time. And ESPN just hates Syracuse for whatever reason (accept J. Bilas, he's been good lately). And don't get me started on that jack donkey from CBS. Holy molly!

Yes. ESPN hates us... In spite of the fact that they just did an all day infomercial on Syracuse basketball this past February.

But I agree this narrative is getting tiresome.

Yes. ESPN hates us... In spite of the fact that they just did an all day infomercial on Syracuse basketball this past February.

But I agree this narrative is getting tiresome.
ESPN does not hate us. News, by definition, is a narrative of conflict and change. Some 2oo years of peace with Canada (perhaps the world's longest international border) is NOT news. Enemies massing at the border in the Ukraine (conflict) IS news. Get over it.

ESPN does not hate us. News, by definition, is a narrative of conflict and change. Some 2oo years of peace with Canada (perhaps the world's longest international border) is NOT news. Enemies massing at the border in the Ukraine (conflict) IS news. Get over it.

Um, K.

My first sentence was facetious...so there's that.

Yes. ESPN hates us... In spite of the fact that they just did an all day infomercial on Syracuse basketball this past February. But I agree this narrative is getting tiresome.

Maybe "hate" is too strong of a word. Maybe it's just how their broadcaster get so excited when our opponents score and how monotone they sound when our team scores. If you don't see it then maybe you are spending too much time at the games and not watching the broadcasts. It's been going on for so long it's actually comical. A true professional broadcaster does not root for either team. When the offense makes a good play you praise the offense. When the defense makes a good play you praise the defense.

You never agree or like anything I say. I get it.

Maybe "hate" is too strong of a word. Maybe it's just how their broadcaster get so excited when our opponents score and how monotone they sound when our team scores. If you don't see it then maybe you are spending too much time at the games and not watching the broadcasts. It's been going on for so long it's actually comical. A true professional broadcaster does not root for either team. When the offense makes a good play you praise the offense. When the defense makes a good play you praise the defense.

95% of the time we are the favorite, so when the underdog does something they take notice.

ESPN loves us with the heat of 10,000 suns.

This is a tangent to the OP's initial post, my apologies.

I know it is unfortunately all about $$$ but I used to love when SU played AT St Bonaventure, Niagara, Colgate, Cornell etc. Just a different time. Oh well.

Yeah, those hacks McDonough, Bilas and Raftery have been ragging on SU for as long as I can remember. Just shameful. I usually mute any games they broadcast and then stick pins in the voodoo dolls I've made of them. It really seems to be working well recently, as evidenced by the 2013 Final Four run.

ESPN does not "hate" us. Hell their are tons of alumni from Syracuse working at ESPN.

The narrative started in 2005 with Dick Vitale and Doug Gottlieb. Gottlieb ran his mouth about our scheduling philosophy on ESPN Radio in 2005 or 2006 and JB responded with a shot about Doug's time at Notre Dame. That caused news and Dick Vitale has always busted chops about teams playing cupcakes and has jokingly directed it partially at JB.

ESPN does not "hate" us. Hell their are tons of alumni from Syracuse working at ESPN.

The narrative started in 2005 with Dick Vitale and Doug Gottlieb. Gottlieb ran his mouth about our scheduling philosophy on ESPN Radio in 2005 or 2006 and JB responded with a shot about Doug's time at Notre Dame. That caused news and Dick Vitale has always busted chops about teams playing cupcakes and has jokingly directed it partially at JB.

I do remember Gottlieb saying that he was not surprised that Cuse didn't make the 06-07 Tournament, because we didn't beat anyone good on the schedule. Those losses to Wichita State, Ok State, and Drexel killed us. I have no problem with him saying that, but there was no prior discussion of us being a bubble team that season, let alone not getting in. The NIT didn't even have us seeded as a 1, because they knew we wouldn't be in their tournament. I will always believe that the committee simply forgot to come back to "the Syracuse seeding" topic and didn't realize we didn't make the final bracket. I know that sounds crazy, but that's how I feel. The following year, we were clearly a bubble team, so I know the difference. 2006-7 was a hose job.

I do remember Gottlieb saying that he was not surprised that Cuse didn't make the 06-07 Tournament, because we didn't beat anyone good on the schedule. Those losses to Wichita State, Ok State, and Drexel killed us. I have no problem with him saying that, but there was no prior discussion of us being a bubble team that season, let alone not getting in. The NIT didn't even have us seeded as a 1, because they knew we wouldn't be in their tournament. I will always believe that the committee simply forgot to come back to "the Syracuse seeding" topic and didn't realize we didn't make the final bracket. I know that sounds crazy, but that's how I feel. The following year, we were clearly a bubble team, so I know the difference. 2006-7 was a hose job.
It was before that. The feud can brewing to the top the day after the Selection Show in 2007 when we were jobbed and Boeheim and Gottlieb argued on ESPN Radio. What I was talking about was from 2004-2005 season during Hakim/Pace/Forth's Senior year. That year Gottlieb started his radio show on ESPN Radio and ripped on our scheduling process and JB shot back about not caring about shoplifters from Notre Dame who couldn't make it in the Big East thought.

That was the starting point of the national narrative about Syracuse basketball scheduling not leaving NY State.

It was before that. The feud can brewing to the top the day after the Selection Show in 2007 when we were jobbed and Boeheim and Gottlieb argued on ESPN Radio. What I was talking about was from 2004-2005 season during Hakim/Pace/Forth's Senior year. That year Gottlieb started his radio show on ESPN Radio and ripped on our scheduling process and JB shot back about not caring about shoplifters from Notre Dame who couldn't make it in the Big East thought.

That was the starting point of the national narrative about Syracuse basketball scheduling not leaving NY State.

Gotcha. I do remember that.
But in the 10 years since Gottlieb said that, the team has always left campus (and mostly the state) every year before New Year. And I would love to see Gottlieb or anyone else research the perennial powers and see if there is a school that leaves their state 2 or more times before the New Year on a consistent basis.

I remember hearing it as early as 2000.
Well, in the 99-00 season, Cuse's first game away from home was Miami on Jan 8th, so the critics were factually correct.

You're right, of course, but I've come to think that we make that sloppy error because it so easily follows "the" USA, "the" UK. And if you're from Columbus, it's "the" Ohio State University.

Could be. Your examples are actually factual.

You're right, of course, but I've come to think that we make that sloppy error because it so easily follows "the" USA, "the" UK. And if you're from Columbus, it's "the" Ohio State University.
Well, the last one is tinged with a bit of arrogance about it.

I know Lunardi has been talking about it for a while, but he usually talks about true road games. And he's normally right.

The thing about announcers rooting against us seems so ridiculous to me; we must have a greater % of our games called by alumnus than every other school put together. Pretty sure that's just hearing what you want to hear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom