Syracuse football ranked 13th-best coaching job in ACC, per Athlon poll | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football ranked 13th-best coaching job in ACC, per Athlon poll

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Just 15 years ago, this ranking would be absurd. This once-proud program was a national power with elite facilities, fan support and brand recognition. Yet, as population trends continue to move away from the Northeast and Cuse's once state-of-the-art stadium becomes more outdated, winning has gotten more difficult. And the fans aren't coming out like they used too. It's impossible to recruit to upstate New York and the move to the ACC hasn't opened up a Southern pipeline like anticipated. Finally, Syracuse administration clearly are more committed to basketball.

Then Mink added his opinion:

12. Syracuse
Syracuse has a nice football history, but so much of it came before many recruits were even born.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...best_coaching_job_in_acc_per_athlon_poll.html

literally just have to win. Enough of these mediocre/horrible years. Gotta catch lightening in a bottle and go 8-4 in back to back years. Perception changes with winning, aka Duke, Lousiville, etc. Teams with no tradition but a good recent decade or less of play.

You get what you pay for. Unless Syracuse Admin is willing to spend and invest in the FB we are going to be stuck in a rut. People here on this board think we are fine when we are mediocre at best. We need to invest in a staff and be used as a springboard I don't care if a coaching staff comes here for 3 years and then leaves us for a better job as the program will be better.

I would have hired Doc Holliday last offseason before another school comes and scoops him up from Marshall. Thank goodness Pitt didn't hire him.

I don't mean this to be a snarky post...honestly :)

I'm kind of glad that reality and less blind rah rah rah seems to be sinking in among us serious fans. I was getting a little optimism fatigue after year after year of preseason irrational exuberance, mostly reading the optimism on this (great) site.

Last summer I posted that I was more optimistic about our football team this year (last fall) than I was about our basketball team...crazy stuff. I was never a preseason optimist dating back to the post Freeney years (2001), but I got caught up in the vibe last summer.

I'm encouraged that more and more posters have gotten more realistic and hardnosed about where the football program stands. The reality is we are well below average and unless we get an exceptional college QB I don't see great progress being made.

I'll watch and I'll root, but it's going to take some different results to get me feeling positive about what we're putting on the football field.

Always hopeful though.

You get what you pay for. Unless Syracuse Admin is willing to spend and invest in the FB we are going to be stuck in a rut. People here on this board think we are fine when we are mediocre at best. We need to invest in a staff and be used as a springboard I don't care if a coaching staff comes here for 3 years and then leaves us for a better job as the program will be better.

I would have hired Doc Holliday last offseason before another school comes and scoops him up from Marshall. Thank goodness Pitt didn't hire him.
Now there is a coach and staff at the top of their game. Just need a few Earps and we can have a shootout at the OK Dome. Shafer needs to recruit some high powered successful offensive coaching talent. Otherwise like the wise guys say fogetaboutit.

Doc Holliday could be like Shaka Smart. don't take the first P5 job that comes your way, wait for a really good one. Cuse is not a really good one.

Doc Holliday could be like Shaka Smart. don't take the first P5 job that comes your way, wait for a really good one. Cuse is not a really good one.
He was interested in the Pitt job, but they went with Narduzzi. I don't see him as a Shaka Smart type as it is easier to compete in CBB than FB outside the P5. Holliday will take a P5 job that he could damage at. If he came to SU he could move up to a real elite job if he turned us around.

He was interested in the Pitt job, but they went with Narduzzi. I don't see him as a Shaka Smart type as it is easier to compete in CBB than FB outside the P5. Holliday will take a P5 job that he could damage at. If he came to SU he could move up to a real elite job if he turned us around.

good points. if 2015 results warrant a change at the top, Doc would be a hell of a choice.

I hope that Shafer works out, but if he doesn't I'd love for us to try to bring in Bobby Wilder from ODU. Has North East connections, and runs a high powered offense that has been productive every year.
Could get us into the 757 area as well for recruiting. His offense alone would put butts in the seats.

I guess building the IPF was pointless after all. SU's been in the ACC for 2 years with one average season and one bad season. What sort of pipeline was he expecting?

Whitey23 said:
Just 15 years ago, this ranking would be absurd. This once-proud program was a national power with elite facilities, fan support and brand recognition. Yet, as population trends continue to move away from the Northeast and Cuse's once state-of-the-art stadium becomes more outdated, winning has gotten more difficult. And the fans aren't coming out like they used too. It's impossible to recruit to upstate New York and the move to the ACC hasn't opened up a Southern pipeline like anticipated. Finally, Syracuse administration clearly are more committed to basketball. Then Mink added his opinion: 12. Syracuse Syracuse has a nice football history, but so much of it came before many recruits were even born. http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...best_coaching_job_in_acc_per_athlon_poll.html
Well no shiite. schools with rich history had most of it before players were born. If they didn't, it wouldn't be rich history History is funny like that. A lot of it happened before people were born

Alsacs said:
You get what you pay for. Unless Syracuse Admin is willing to spend and invest in the FB we are going to be stuck in a rut. People here on this board think we are fine when we are mediocre at best. We need to invest in a staff and be used as a springboard I don't care if a coaching staff comes here for 3 years and then leaves us for a better job as the program will be better. I would have hired Doc Holliday last offseason before another school comes and scoops him up from Marshall. Thank goodness Pitt didn't hire him.

Your opinion of the board couldn't be more wrong. If anything we are too negative... But generally the problems have been highlighted over and over again.

Your opinion of the board couldn't be more wrong. If anything we are too negative... But generally the problems have been highlighted over and over again.
The football board is not too negative. The basketball board is full of people who overreact to any slight, but on the FB side we hear the term turning the corner pretty much all the time.

Our FB program has been mediocre since 2010 which is a heck of an improvement from 2005 thru 2009. With that said if SU wants to turn the corner we have to invest in the program like other schools have invested and get some life breathed into the program. Now the IPF was step one, but boring offensive football in the time of offensive explosion in college football doesn't help the situation. We have had meathead HCs(Millhouse posts all those stats) since Coach Mac left. We need a real good recruiting class not a bunch of selling BS and pumping the tires up.

I would actually like the FB program be used by a HC as a means to better a job. We as SU fans don't want to be a stepping stone job, but you know what? We should want to be a stepping stone job since it means we are winning. Cincinnati has lost its last three head coaches to Michigan State, Notre Dame, Tennessee and the program keeps winning. Give me Cincinnati over assistant coaches who want to stay. FB should be better.

The football board is not too negative. The basketball board is full of people who overreact to any slight, but on the FB side we hear the term turning the corner pretty much all the time.

Our FB program has been mediocre since 2010 which is a heck of an improvement from 2005 thru 2009. With that said if SU wants to turn the corner we have to invest in the program like other schools have invested and get some life breathed into the program. Now the IPF was step one, but boring offensive football in the time of offensive explosion in college football doesn't help the situation. We have had meathead HCs(Millhouse posts all those stats) since Coach Mac left. We need a real good recruiting class not a bunch of selling BS and pumping the tires up.

I would actually like the FB program be used by a HC as a means to better a job. We as SU fans don't want to be a stepping stone job, but you know what? We should want to be a stepping stone job since it means we are winning. Cincinnati has lost its last three head coaches to Michigan State, Notre Dame, Tennessee and the program keeps winning. Give me Cincinnati over assistant coaches who want to stay. FB should be better.
Coach Mac was not the great coach many here, who were not around for him, would like to believe. Half the time, he didn't know how many time outs he had. He caught lightening with Donnie Mcpherson.

CuseOnly said:
Athlon is the 13th worst magazine out of the 14 that are available on bookshelves today.

And that might even be pushing it

The ACC was our savior and is the foundation for us coming back. IPF is huge, next up will be the remodel of the Dome which i believe will include much more than a new roof. Better times are ahead

I hope that Shafer works out, but if he doesn't I'd love for us to try to bring in Bobby Wilder from ODU. Has North East connections, and runs a high powered offense that has been productive every year.
Could get us into the 757 area as well for recruiting. His offense alone would put butts in the seats.
Plus he's clearly familiar with our recruits since pretty much EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has an ODU offer.

That's a crock

Just like the thought that Scott Shafer's job he when he inherited it was a rebuild or even close to a rebuild like Doug Marrone had inherited in 2009. SS was given a mediocre football team and had a mediocre year one and terrible year two. DM was given a terrible football team year one and by year four had it in the middle. SS was hired to continue that momentum which he has not done.

Alsacs said:
Just like the thought that Scott Shafer's job he when he inherited it was a rebuild or even close to a rebuild like Doug Marrone had inherited in 2009. SS was given a mediocre football team and had a mediocre year one and terrible year two. DM was given a terrible football team year one and by year four had it in the middle. SS was hired to continue that momentum which he has not done.

That's a partial truth and you know it. The defense has remained as good as it has been since Scott came here. Continuity. Check.

Recruiting? No need to rehash our previous discussion. We basically agreed that Shafer and co, for whatever the reason - have brought in better classes than Marrone did. Is it good enough? Not yet. But better is um better than um worse.

Competition on the whole has gotten tougher.

So the issue is offense. Both in talent and maybe more importantly - scheme. That's his main failing. And it needs to be remedied. But your view of the Marrone era till now is out of whack.