Syracuse Football Ticket Sales | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Football Ticket Sales

UnknownOrange

2023 Cali Award Winner Points Scored
Hello to All!

My name is Dan Bartlett and I am brand new to this site, but very familiar with Syracuse. I have been a life long fan and resident and I began working in the ticket sales office back in August.

I had heard of this website and I began checking it out a lot more often just to see what you guys would say about uniforms, schedules, offers, etc. I am here today as a new member of the site and looking for some help.

We have had a great response thus far with the on sale of Football packages but I want to expand that horizon. I come to you today looking for any kind of feedback or suggestions that you all have because I want to cater to you.

I really look forward to speaking with any and all of you. We can chat on here or even drop me an email at drbartle @ syr . edu (I spaced it out it didn't look right when I posted originally) - I'm always available for 'Cuse fans!!

If you need anything from me or just want to talk Syracuse sports shoot me an email. Take care for now Orange fans.

Last edited:
Hello to All!

My name is Dan Bartlett and I am brand new to this site, but very familiar with Syracuse. I have been a life long fan and resident and I began working in the ticket sales office back in August.

I had heard of this website and I began checking it out a lot more often just to see what you guys would say about uniforms, schedules, offers, etc. I am here today as a new member of the site and looking for some help.

We have had a great response thus far with the on sale of Football packages but I want to expand that horizon. I come to you today looking for any kind of feedback or suggestions that you all have because I want to cater to you.

I really look forward to speaking with any and all of you. We can chat on here or even drop me an email at drbartle @ syr . edu (I spaced it out it didn't look right when I posted originally) - I'm always available for 'Cuse fans!!

If you need anything from me or just want to talk Syracuse sports shoot me an email. Take care for now Orange fans.
Let me start by saying I think it is great you are reaching out to the fanbase.

Some general comments:

On Uniforms...

At this point, I just want uniforms that feature the color orange. Go ahead, use duct tape all over the place, throw in some black, some camo shading and some spatters of blood. Just have some orange so there is a chance I can tell which team to root for.

On Scheduling...

I would like to see a good out of conference team on the home schedule every season. I am fine with playing an FCS school once a year as well.

Regarding conference play, I realize you can't control this but in case you were wondering, I am in favor of any change that will reduce the length of time between appearances at the Dome for conference opponents. That means I would like to see a 9 game conference schedule and changes to conference scheduling so you don't have to play all the schools in your division every year.

Food options in the Dome are horrible, but I don't care because I tailgate beforehand. But from my travels to other college venues, the Dome should add food options featuring prominent local foods. There should be Dino BBQ available, salt potatoes, coneys, spiedies, chicken riggies, half moons, etc.

It would be good to get more open space...why haven't you built an extension on the West side of the Dome to add big concourses on the lower and upper levels? The space and technology exist to do it. More bathrooms, more food choices, a place to walk bored children (maybe even a playroom for them), a sit down restaurant or two, a food court, tables and chairs, maybe a bar...there are lots of things that could be added.

On Tickets...

Everyone knows this is a huge mess. You charge season ticket holders full price for tickets and then constantly sell tickets for next to nothing close to gameday, when you desperately want to increase the number of tickets sold. That is a horrible business model...you are setting yourself up to discourage people from buying season tickets.

You do have (last I knew) two level of season tickets, the 'food stamp' cheapies in the end zone and the rest. I have no problem with the food stamps but you need to go further and have 4 or 5 sets of prices for season tickets. The gap between food stamps and the rest is too large; you are leaving money on the table by encouraging people to buy food stamp tickets or just to wait it out each game and buy the Groupon tickets at $10 per. And doing something like this might address the huge issue of all the silver in the areas between the goal lines and the the 30 yard lines on both sides of the stadium.

The most important thing right now is to get people in the Dome, to get it filled regularly. Price to make this happen. Give sizable discounts to people less than 30 years old. Give sizable discounts to seniors. Give sizable discounts to soldiers (market the hell out of Fort Drum). Market SU football as being family friendly (which it is) in all major cities in upstate NY, especially in Western NY, where families have to be appalled at the disgraceful behavior of fans at Bills games. Make SU games really family friendly by discounting ticket prices accordingly.

You have to give season ticket holders reasons to buy season tickets. I buy real season tickets every year and sit in my seats but a lot of my friends get in as cheaply as possible and sit right next to me. They think I am crazy to pay full price and to pay a licensing fee as well and they are right. This involves pricing incentives to be sure but there should be more.

Free access to the Cuse All Access web site, free parking at the not so great parking lots (say Skytop), a free download of the year in review video, a free subscription to the SU athletics magazine, an opportunity to attend a recruiting briefing on or near LOI Day, an opportunity to attend what used to be called the Ernie Davis scrimmage in the preseason, (they would have to pay to attend but they couldn't attend without being season ticket holders), maybe an opportunity to attend a BBQ with the players and coaches after the spring game (again they would have to pay but would need to be a season ticket holder to have access).

People aren't stupid. If you want them to change their behavior, give them some incentive to do so.

Miscellaneous...

Out of town scores are not being provided or updated well. With the new scoreboards, the method of delivery is there. No excuse to not do a better job on this.

You are not using the scoreboards well to provide statistics for the game. No reason live statistics can't be out there, visible to all, at least 33% of the time. Loop through a couple of screens worth to display all relevant stats. If you were to do this (and show out of town scores on them), people would actually look at the ribbon scoreboards more as they would be showing helpful/interesting information instead of a rotation of badly done boring ads no where cares about. I understand the need for ads...just saying when you show ads 95% of the time, you are actually acting to discourage fans from looking at them.

Again, props to you for reaching out. These problems have been around for many years and the university has done little to nothing to address them. If anything, they have made some of the problems worse. I hope you can drive some of the fundamental changes that need to be made to improve things.

Last edited:

Some general comments:

On Uniforms...

At this point, I just want uniforms that feature the color orange. Go ahead, use duct tape all over the place, throw in some black, some camo shading and some spatters of blood. Just have some orange so there is a chance I can tell which team to root for.

On Scheduling...

I would like to see a good out of conference team on the home schedule every season. I am fine with playing an FCS school once a year as well.

Regarding conference play, I realize you can't control this but in case you were wondering, I am in favor of any change that will reduce the length of time between appearances at the Dome for conference opponents. That means I would like to see a 9 game conference schedule and changes to conference scheduling so you don't have to play all the schools in your division every year.

Food options in the Dome are horrible, but I don't care because I tailgate beforehand. But from my travels to other college venues, the Dome should add food options featuring prominent local foods. There should be Dino BBQ available, salt potatoes, coneys, spiedies, chicken riggies, half moons, etc.

It would be good to get more open space...why haven't you built an extension on the West side of the Dome to add big concourses on the lower and upper levels? The space and technology exist to do it. More bathrooms, more food choices, a place to walk bored children (maybe even a playroom for them), a sit down restaurant or two, a food court, tables and chairs, maybe a bar...there are lots of things that could be added.

On Tickets...

Everyone knows this is a huge mess. You charge season ticket holders full price for tickets and then constantly sell tickets for next to nothing close to gameday, when you desperately want to increase the number of tickets sold. That is a horrible business model...you are setting yourself up to discourage people from buying season tickets.

You do have (last I knew) two level of season tickets, the 'food stamp' cheapies in the end zone and the rest. I have no problem with the food stamps but you need to go further and have 4 or 5 sets of prices for season tickets. The gap between food stamps and the rest is too large; you are leaving money on the table by encouraging people to buy food stamp tickets or just to wait it out each game and buy the Groupon tickets at $10 per. And doing something like this might address the huge issue of all the silver in the areas between the goal lines and the the 30 yard lines on both sides of the stadium.

The most important thing right now is to get people in the Dome, to get it filled regularly. Price to make this happen. Give sizable discounts to people less than 30 years old. Give sizable discounts to seniors. Give sizable discounts to soldiers (market the hell out of Fort Drum). Market SU football as being family friendly (which it is) in all major cities in upstate NY, especially in Western NY, where families have to be appalled at the disgraceful behavior of fans at Bills games. Make SU games really family friendly by discounting ticket prices accordingly.

You have to give season ticket holders reasons to buy season tickets. I buy real season tickets every year and sit in my seats but a lot of my friends get in as cheaply as possible and sit right next to me. They think I am crazy to pay full price and to pay a licensing fee as well and they are right. This involves pricing incentives to be sure but there should be more.

Free access to the Cuse All Access web site, free parking at the not so great parking lots (say Skytop), a free download of the year in review video, a free subscription to the SU athletics magazine, an opportunity to attend a recruiting briefing on or near LOI Day, an opportunity to attend what used to be called the Ernie Davis scrimmage in the preseason, (they would have to pay to attend but they couldn't attend without being season ticket holders), maybe an opportunity to attend a BBQ with the players and coaches after the spring game (again they would have to pay but would need to be a season ticket holder to have access).

People aren't stupid. If you want them to change their behavior, give them some incentive to do so.

Miscellaneous...

Out of town scores are not being provided or updated well. With the new scoreboards, the method of delivery is there. No excuse to not do a better job on this.

You are not using the scoreboards well to provide statistics for the game. No reason live statistics can't be out there, visible to all, at least 33% of the time. Loop through a couple of screens worth to display all relevant stats. If you were to do this (and show out of town scores on them), people would actually look at the ribbon scoreboards more as they would be showing helpful/interesting information instead of a rotation of badly done boring ads no where cares about. I understand the need for ads...just saying when you show ads 95% of the time, you are actually acting to discourage fans from looking at them.

Again, props to you for reaching out. These problems have been around for many years and the university has done little to nothing to address them. If anything, they have made some of the problems worse. I hope you can drive some of the fundamental changes that need to be made to improve things.

SUTomCat - This is what it is all about. I've been coming to the Dome for years, worked here (as an intern and now ticket sales) for two years and I still think we need major improvements which you hit all on the head. I think we've made some good improvements but we have to stay ahead of the curve and not be playing catch up.

As far as tickets go we actually have 9 different price points/locations for seasons - we have the mini plan offer out there - we have some great options for package deals but you are 100% right. The last second efforts and cheap tickets have been an issue. That is one of the big keys for us is to attack that issue.

I do appreciate the feedback and I hope you're not the only one! These type of responses are what we will discuss in our office and be communicating it around. We love this type of feedback. Thank you!!

Some general comments:

On Uniforms...

On Scheduling...

On Tickets...

Miscellaneous...

I'll second this!

$15 to park at a LAX game is unreasonable. Hopkins charges $5-10 a game. Virginia, UNC and Duke all offer free parking.

And I think Tomcat has a great idea ... free OAA access for season ticket holders.

$15 to park at a LAX game is unreasonable. Hopkins charges $5-10 a game. Virginia, UNC and Duke all offer free parking.

And I think Tomcat has a great idea ... free OAA access for season ticket holders.

Seriously? It costs more to park than the actual ticket to the game costs?

How about early renewal discounts? If you renew seasons tickets before x date it's 10% cheaper. Just a thought.

Re: Lax - It is definitely something that we have talked about here in our office. However parking is it's own department and we truly do not have the control on cost that those schools may have.

How about early renewal discounts? If you renew seasons tickets before x date it's 10% cheaper. Just a thought.

I like what we did this year with renewals. I think you will see that get expanded in years to come. The 30 days of giveaways promotion got a lot a good feedback and we hope to grow on that in the future

Hello to All!

You, sir, are the bravest man on the internet

I know Tom has probably covered this, but the premium pricing model for football doesn't seem to be working. I'm pretty sure it is a pricing structure that pre-dates Gross, although I don't know what, if any, tweaks he has made to it.

We are one of the few stadiums that looks more full in the end zone and empty on the sidelines. Looks awful on TV, not to mention when you are live at the game.

What can they do to fix it? Or does the administration feel it's not broken, but we just need to win more? (i.e. the men's basketball program doesn't have such problems).

At Hopkins there is more than plenty of street parking within 5-10 minutes on Homewood.

Source: I lived across from Homewood for 4 years.

Eh, what's the worst that can happen? Haha
it's a tough job

the obvious response to unsold seats between the 20s is to reduce the price of them but that will draw the ire of certain seat holders (some that post here) who will resent having paid big "donations" in the past to have the right to sit by one's self at the 40 yard line. it's very difficult to convince people that sitting next to someone who pays less doesn't make you any worse off.

of course you could raise the price of the endzone seats to shift back people who'd otherwise buy the more expensive tickets but that won't go over great either.

your job isn't easy!

i wouldn't expect this to have a big impact but SU games might have more appeal to Rochester families who are reluctant to go to Bills games because of drunks falling out of the upper deck. i'm not a marketing guy but I wouldn't expect this to be some billboard approach, something more targeted (facebook advertising can get pretty specific about targets?)

I know Tom has probably covered this, but the premium pricing model for football doesn't seem to be working. I'm pretty sure it is a pricing structure that pre-dates Gross, although I don't know what, if any, tweaks he has made to it.

We are one of the few stadiums that looks more full in the end zone and empty on the sidelines. Looks awful on TV, not to mention when you are live at the game.

What can they do to fix it? Or does the administration feel it's not broken, but we just need to win more? (i.e. the men's basketball program doesn't have such problems).
turn the field sideways like basketball.

Uniforms - This site has debated in endlessly but seeing more Orange, even if it's an all Orange alternate occassionally, would be greatly appreciated. ~ Side note to this would be merchandising. I love/respect the number 44 but it would be nice to have the option to buy other Jerseys with numbers that the younger crowd (my 13 year old for example) would appreciate more. Even a number 1 which we always seem to have a staller player wearing and would also be saying we are #1.

Schedules - It is improving but set us up to start the season 2-0 and generate buzz. Also, while understanding the revenue we get for the Met Life games, you would sell many more tickets if Notre Dame and Penn State (or similar stature schools) were scheduled in the dome.

Offers - I'm an out of town, non alum so not really good to you here. If/when I can make a Cuse football game I am there. Perhaps some sort of multi ticket discount tiers to encourage more people to fill seats for not much more $$$? Sell seats for $1 if you have to to fill the silver and make the gameday revenue off food and beer. Nobody feels good about seeing empty seats.

Not sure if there is any giveaways/incentives that could convince people to get their a**es in the seat 15 minutes prior to kickoff but that would be great as well. $1 off beers or dome dogs up to 15 minutes of kickoff might do it or adding the concourse area Tom had mentioned would aid in this.

Eh, what's the worst that can happen? Haha

We have had season tickets in 324 for a few years now (and we like them actually), but of course we would like to move toward the 50 yd line at some point. Honestly, just not sure the best way to go about it... the upgrade process is confusing to many and the price differences are crazy. Also, seeing people who are n season ticket holders around us all the time and finding that they got their tix the week of the game for much less is very angering. but nothing we can do. we keep renewing, hoping for change.

Hello to All!

Try to create a little buzz about the football season. I always see commercials for basketball about season tickets or upcoming games. Slim to none for football. I hear there is a commercial going around now, I have not seen it yet. No reason for a big game like Florida state or Clemson last year we shouldn't sell out. Along with a few others. Start advertising now !!!

Give discounts to local CNY highschool varsity or jv football teams. Encourage the full team and coach to come enjoy and learn from the game. Make it an event.

Give students incentives. Student section is piss poor IMO (for football). I am their age and have many friends that go to cuse. It should be easy to fill that almost every game.

I'll think of more this is all I have right now.

Re: Lax - It is definitely something that we have talked about here in our office. However parking is it's own department and we truly do not have the control on cost that those schools may have.
That may be true, Dan. But someone up on the Hill needs to make the parking department aware of how illogical it is to charge more to park than it does to enter the Dome for the game.

BTW, thanks for braving this board and soliciting input. Long overdue.

Dan thanks for coming on. I agree on what Tomcat said.

My understanding on the food at the Dome is they are restricted to no open flames so grilling Coneys is a no go. If we are stuck with the Dome for the next 10-20 years a modification to the West side makes sense. Add a recruiting/VIP lounge. Put in a full service restaurant. Build a kitchen facility to allow better quality Dome concessions. Definitely make Dome food local and unique.

On scheduling: Have SU keep us informed when games are contracted.

Assumptions: 12 game season, 8 Conference games, ND once every 3 years and P5 doesn't insulate themselves to just P5 opponents in the future

The goal is a minimum of 6 Dome Games in MetLife Seasons and 7 games in the vast majority of other seasons.
Schedule One Power Team a Year (ND, LSU, PSU).
Schedule 1 decent but hopefully beatable P5 team (Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Vandy, WVU, Rutgers) in the Dome if playing a Power team at MetLife or on the Road.
Army or Navy should always be a priority. It would be awesome to see Army or Navy at least 6 times out of 10 years. It will be home and home. We want to see West Point and Annapolis on away games.
For 1AAs...Colgate should be the most common team...after that get a 1AA within 6 hours. No issues with what we have seen here.
Unless National TV dictates always open up with a 1AA or 1A midmajor. Nothing kills momentum in our event driven, bandwagon town more than starting out 0-2.
Fill the rest of the slots with MAC Teams (prefer 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 contracts but 1 for 1 ok for some), midmajors from great recruiting or fan favorites to visit (FIU/FAU, UCF, Memphis, UTSA, UNT, Texas St., Tulane, Louisiana, ODU, MTSU) and occasionally a former BE Foe (USF, UConn, Cincy, Temple).

I'll fill you in on Tailgating later.

FINALLY: Get SU to work with Destiny, Armory Square Merchants to underwrite a Dome Train on Weekends. Destiny-Armory Square-University

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom