Syracuse guard Frank Howard played with fractured left thumb against Florida State | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse guard Frank Howard played with fractured left thumb against Florida State

Really wish we could play 'caption this picture' with the one showing Frank dunking and Roberson watching...

And Joseph still can't get on the court. Ouch.
The last time KJ was on the floor with 4 walk-ons, I was thinking to myself that he looked physically identical to the walk-ons. This staff has had some bad whiffs over the last few recruiting cycles; Chino, BJ, Patterson, KJ...

The last time KJ was on the floor with 4 walk-ons, I was thinking to myself that he looked physically identical to the walk-ons. This staff has had some bad whiffs over the last few recruiting cycles; Chino, BJ, Patterson, KJ...
BJ helped us win some games last year. I have no doubt he would still be here if it wasn't for the scholarship reductions.

BJ helped us win some games last year. I have no doubt he would still be here if it wasn't for the scholarship reductions.
You're right about BJ; actually I thought he could have helped us even when he was here, but he got Boeheimed...

I think his point about the staff whiffing on BJ though is close to right, but not for recruiting him, just the way they used him. BJ absolutely should have redshirted his freshman year. He wasn't physically ready and that showed. It also likely contributed to the staff not trusting him to be on the floor. The kid was/is a gifted shooter and I think the team could have used him. We may be going 8 deep this year if he were still on the squad.

Probation/Scholarship reductions changed our program's dynamic dramatically. Ennis and Grant might have still gone pro, but the threat of no post season made the choice automatic...

Probation/Scholarship reductions changed our program's dynamic dramatically. Ennis and Grant might have still gone pro, but the threat of no post season made the choice automatic...
I don't think pending probation played into their decision. It was all based on where they were projected to get drafted.

You're right about BJ; actually I thought he could have helped us even when he was here, but he got Boeheimed...

BJ's first two years weren't much different than D. Nichols. He wasn't a "whiff" and he didn't get "Boeheimed". He was a talented player who contributed, but wasn't quite ready for prime time yet. He probably would've came on strong his last 2 years. The mistake was in not redshirting him. Other than that, I don't see a mistake anywhere. Just an unfortunate victim of circumstance.

BJ's first two years weren't much different than D. Nichols. He wasn't a "whiff" and he didn't get "Boeheimed". He was a talented player who contributed, but wasn't quite ready for prime time yet. He probably would've came on strong his last 2 years. The mistake was in not redshirting him. Other than that, I don't see a mistake anywhere. Just an unfortunate victim of circumstance.

Yeah, he always hit a decent clip when he was able to get off more than 1 or 2 shots in a game. He was fairly solid, still surprised he didn't see more minutes last year. Not a ton more - but more.

Coach actually talked about KJ in the press conference after FSU. Said that he has been good in practice and he would trust him to fill in if needed but "isn't going to experiment at this time." He said the same about Obokoh. I found it interesting because he almost never is willing to talk about DNP Coaches Decision type scenarios.

And Joseph still can't get on the court. Ouch.
JB specifically commented about playing with only 6 and 7 guys. You can win with using that many. They have in the past. First he pointed out that other schools do it including Duke. Also said that he and the staff have confidence that Chino could give some minutes if need be. Same for Joseph. But he was not about to "experiment" using them. He says experiment others say give experience to.

Just wasn't strong enough yet

Kid was 17 when he came here.

Most kids are 19 when they get here.

Agree with your point, would have loved if he had RS'd and just focused on adding weight and getting acclimated.

I think his point about the staff whiffing on BJ though is close to right, but not for recruiting him, just the way they used him. BJ absolutely should have redshirted his freshman year. He wasn't physically ready and that showed. It also likely contributed to the staff not trusting him to be on the floor. The kid was/is a gifted shooter and I think the team could have used him. We may be going 8 deep this year if he were still on the squad.

Still wasn't physically ready last year. Sitting out this year will be a great benefit particularly since he did see court time early, understands his physical limitations, will have had 18 months to address them and knows what to expect. Many on this board are predicting that BJ will absolutely blow up the next two years at LaSalle and many more from Orange Nation will be cheering him on as one of ours.

Still wasn't physically ready last year. Sitting out this year will be a great benefit particularly since he did see court time early, understands his physical limitations, will have had 18 months to address them and knows what to expect. Many on this board are predicting that BJ will absolutely blow up the next two years at LaSalle and many more from Orange Nation will be cheering him on as one of ours.

image.jpeg

Although, BJ was still working on his body last year, I don't think it was a physical issue for the most part as it was the mental process of being ready to play and playing through mistakes while on the court. It is very hard to play freely when you are looking over your shoulder when the horn goes off or playing not to make mistakes. A lot of players go through that process of maturity that earns the coaches trust and a longer rope as the years pass. He got to contribute in ways to help the team win some games or put into a position to win last year. But he will benefit from the year off tremendously. He is getting bigger, better and stronger and is clearly the best player on the team and the best player under Dr. John according as he has stated. I have gone to many practices and have seen the improvement with BJ. It is definitely a huge anticipation around the city for next year when he steps back on the floor. couchburnAcademically, he is doing very well. He is a marketing major with 3.2 average. LGO, SUball pulling for you guys.

View attachment 55509
It is very hard to play freely when you are looking over your shoulder when the horn goes off or playing not to make mistakes. A lot of players go through that process of maturity that earns the coaches trust and a longer rope as the years pass.

It amazes me that people want to argue this point. If you don't understand this point you either (a) never played a truly competitive sport or (b) you were so good at that sport that your confidence was always super high and unshakeable.