Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse

Msteimle

Walk On
Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker...don't post much. I live in Dallas and work as a chef. I grew up in Binghamton. Went to culinary school in New Hampshire. Lived in Syracuse in 2002-2003 and went to every home game. Had season tickets with my dad growing up from 1988-1999.

My question for the board is...I want to move back, I miss it. Are there chef jobs available? I worked at Ladour Francaise, The Mission, and Empire Brewing Co. Looking for more upscale. Anybody help me??

Thanks in advance!!

Not going to find many foodies on here. Mostly hotdog, burger, and Dinosaur BBQ discussion on here unfortunately. Welcome though! Are you familiar with the Cleveland food scene where I am now?

Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker...don't post much. I live in Dallas and work as a chef. I grew up in Binghamton. Went to culinary school in New Hampshire. Lived in Syracuse in 2002-2003 and went to every home game. Had season tickets with my dad growing up from 1988-1999.

My question for the board is...I want to move back, I miss it. Are there chef jobs available? I worked at Ladour Francaise, The Mission, and Empire Brewing Co. Looking for more upscale. Anybody help me??

Thanks in advance!!
I am no expert on this topic but I think the CNY area is getting into the concept of food trucks right now, but has a dearth of really good high end type options. The best chef with a food truck just got out of the business.

I bet if you set up a food truck with some good high end options, and it was consistently high quality, you could make a lot of coin.

I cannot attest to the food scene in Syracuse because I live in Charlotte now but I went to a restaurant in Skaneateles that was awesome!

Here is a link http://www.the1820house.com/

You may want to contact them and get an idea of what the scene is.

Thanks in advance!!
Probably need to find someone in that niche industry. There are lots of small boutique type restaurants spread throughout CNY and Fingerlakes Region, can't give you any names. My old room mate is a chef who worked for several years as a sous chef at a little French place down by Cazenovia. For the past 1o years he has been the chef for one of the sororities at SU. He makes the menu and says the girls like to eat well.

the krebs in skaneateles is about to reopen might be worth a shot. and welcome back when you do. Like most of us we find out the grass isn't greener on the other side (lived away 15 years myself) and it really is true that upstate ny is the best place to live 7 months of the year...and the other 5 months keeps the riff raff out! ;)

http://www.zifflaw.com/NYInjuryLawBlog/finger-lakes-named-top-lakeside-retreat

Last edited:
Where in Dallas do you work? Just curious as a fellow North Texas resident.

Thanks in advance!!
I know a guy who was a chef at one of the Turning Stone's restaurants. He was let go when they revamped their dining offerings and searched for a job in Syracuse for more than a year before finally opening his own place.

Job prospects up here are not great, for any line of work it seems.

I can't speak for Syracuse but in Albany it seems like the same chefs keep recycling in different settings. I'm not sure if that's good or bad but I can see where if the chef is not the owner that there could be differences of opinions.

Dallas country club
Gotcha! My wife and I are going to be in Dallas for her birthday next weekend so just wondering if it was a place we might want/be able to get to for dinner (before going to see Les Mis...like I said, HER birthday).

I am no expert on this topic but I think the CNY area is getting into the concept of food trucks right now, but has a dearth of really good high end type options. The best chef with a food truck just got out of the business.

I bet if you set up a food truck with some good high end options, and it was consistently high quality, you could make a lot of coin.

A fellow fan of Stevie's, eh?

Tough to know who's hiring without being plugged in to that scene, I suppose. Could be worth trying the previous employers (though L'Adour, unfortunately, closed, its co-owner reopened Saratoga Steaks in Dewitt as ALFA; it's been pretty well-received). Other higher-end places include Lemon Grass /Bistro Elephant and 317 (though I'm a huge fan of their food, I doubt they're hiring...business looks slow). Then there are all the Madison County hot spots - the Cazenovia restaurants (Brewster Inn et al.), Poolville Country Store, Landmark, Colgate Inn, Horned Dorset, etc. In the other direction there are a number of great Finger Lakes restaurants (Moro's Table, Dano's). And the Turning Stone must have a constant need for talented help. I understand it's not the best place to work, but it's probably excellent from a networking standpoint.

If a roachcoach is the best recommendation for a chef coming to Syracuse it might be best to look at another town for a good gig.

I don't live in Syracuse, but I dine well when I visit there. From my experience, the better high end restaurants include the two at the Turning Stone (Wildflowers in the Lodge and the TS Steak House at the top of the tower); Pascale in Fayetteville; Rosalies in Skaneatles and BC in Armory Square.

Thanks in advance!!

Very good chefs are always wanted. I will PM you with some ideas.

Just an idea, but you might be able to get a pretty good flavor of the area restaurants using tripadvisor. I have been using that the past several years and have eaten at some really great places that I never would have thought to frequent.

If something catches your eye in tripadvisor you could always call. Not great odds for sure, but you never know and at worst you can begin to network. Just getting a network started again in syracuse is your best bet. I also suggest that instead of calling and just asking for employment, start by saying that you are moving back to the area and looking to start a network of contacts within the finer reataurants in the area. Most people just back off when you ask for a job. You will get much further going the circuitous route.

Anyway, just my two cents and you get what you paid for it!

I don't live in Syracuse, but I dine well when I visit there. From my experience, the better high end restaurants include the two at the Turning Stone (Wildflowers in the Lodge and the TS Steak House at the top of the tower); Pascale in Fayetteville; Rosalies in Skaneatles and BC in Armory Square.

I was very impressed with Pascale's. Went there after the Clemson football game last Fall.

As a bonus, Boeheims were eating there.

Morro' table in auburn in good, pumpkin hill bistro, aurora inn, 1820 house, beauvine in auburn, Rosalie's in skaneatlas, Brewster inn, arad Evans, Francesca's, lemon grass. These are all higher end

cuseincincy said:
Probably need to find someone in that niche industry. There are lots of small boutique type restaurants spread throughout CNY and Fingerlakes Region, can't give you any names. My old room mate is a chef who worked for several years as a sous chef at a little French place down by Cazenovia. For the past 1o years he has been the chef for one of the sororities at SU. He makes the menu and says the girls like to eat well.

There are only so many ways to prepare a sausage. :)

But to legitimately add to the discussion. I agree with CTO regarding the Turning Stone. Both Wildflowers and the TS Steakhouse are top end choices.

There are only so many ways to prepare a sausage. :)

Yeah, when it comes down to it, grilled sausage and good beer are man's most important food groups!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom