Syracusefan.com group for ESPN Fantasy English Premier League | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Syracusefan.com group for ESPN Fantasy English Premier League

Your thoughts?

upload_2014-7-7_13-48-57.jpeg

scheme scheme plot plot
I'm comin for that number 1 spot!

The game is back up for the 3rd annual Syracusefan.com Fantasy EPL league for the 2015/16 season!

game home:
http://games.espn.go.com/premier-fantasy/2015/en_gb/game

It should ask you if you want to re-join the group from last year - do it!

group name: Syracusefan.com
password: Orangemen (case sensitive)
http://games.espn.go.com/premier-fantasy/2015/en_gb/group?groupID=311

Season starts Saturday August 16th

I won't have internet for a couple days after this post but I'll get to any questions after that.

Last edited:
Just looking at it for the first time.. Yeah crazy I can't get any budget sure starters even from the promoted sides.

Just looking at it for the first time.. Yeah crazy I can't get any budget sure starters even from the promoted sides.

I think I have a solid gameplan In place this season but if you get the star players you need to have you can't even afford backups that start for west brom, stoke, villa, etc. Seems for every city and chelsea player you have to match with a qpr or Leicester player to make wages. Makes it tough to afford players that will almost certainly rise in value to sell.

What causes player value to rise anyway? Performance? Market ownership? Both?

Just performance. and they rise right after the first match of a week, reflecting the previous week's performance.

I think I have a solid gameplan In place this season but if you get the star players you need to have you can't even afford backups that start for west brom, stoke, villa, etc. Seems for every city and chelsea player you have to match with a qpr or Leicester player to make wages. Makes it tough to afford players that will almost certainly rise in value to sell.

What causes player value to rise anyway? Performance? Market ownership? Both?

Well, I think the idea is that you can't pick the best player at every position. You have to pick your poison.

I'm struggling with players I want vs players who's values will surely go up.

Now, I haven't really paid attention to that part of the fantasy game, rising player values. I've found it mostly bit me last year when I wanted to acquire a player to replace someone who was injured. I wish the ESPN game had more stats included, especially things like tackles, air duels won, etc.

Now, I haven't really paid attention to that part of the fantasy game, rising player values. I've found it mostly bit me last year when I wanted to acquire a player to replace someone who was injured. I wish the ESPN game had more stats included, especially things like tackles, air duels won, etc.

Pretty much you want goalies that get clean sheets, defenders on teams likely to get clean sheets that occassionally get goals and assists, productive attacking midfielders, and strikers that play every week and won't go ages between goals/assists. What you'll find though, is you have to focus on maybe two of those objectives and then patchwork together the other 2 because you'll run out of money and end up with scrubs if you get all the top options you want.

Pretty much you want goalies that get clean sheets, defenders on teams likely to get clean sheets that occassionally get goals and assists, productive attacking midfielders, and strikers that play every week and won't go ages between goals/assists. What you'll find though, is you have to focus on maybe two of those objectives and then patchwork together the other 2 because you'll run out of money and end up with scrubs if you get all the top options you want.

For me, I use almost all of my money 0n the starting lineup and get the cheapest scrubs on the bench. If someone gets hurt, I don't care about the bench players, I'll do a transfer and get somebody else.

For me, I use almost all of my money 0n the starting lineup and get the cheapest scrubs on the bench. If someone gets hurt, I don't care about the bench players, I'll do a transfer and get somebody else.

Which works if you have players that play every match. There are some fringe players, or a multitude of talent in the midfield at certain clubs which makes gaurenteed playing time hard to guess. When Man City decides to roll out one of their $30 million reserves you need to have a backup that at least plays in that position or you take a 0 for the week.

So if you could tell me which midfielders are going to play 30 games (barring injuries) this season for Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United, and Everton that would be great.

So if you could tell me which midfielders are going to play 30 games (barring injuries) this season for Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United, and Everton that would be great.

I don't think that's so hard, actually. That is a major factor I used in picking my teams last season and this season, because I don't slave over my player list every single week, so I had better pick guys who are going to play, barring injury.

For instance, once Mata failed to crack Mourinho's lineup early in the season, I dropped him, even though he had been my captain the season before. This year for Chelsea, Oscar better watch his back with Fabregas in the lineup. If Chelsea sings Levezzi, Hazard will not start every game.

You look at City, and Silva is usually going to play, as is Toure. You look at United and you see they need help in midfield (LOL). Arsenal are going to play Ozul if he's healthy. Liverpool is going to play Gerrard.

You look at City, and Silva is usually going to play, as is Toure. You look at United and you see they need help in midfield (LOL). Arsenal are going to play Ozul if he's healthy. Liverpool is going to play Gerrard.

Correct but if you have Silva, Toure, Gerrard, and Ozil in your midfield you better be in love with some players from QPR to fill out your roster.

With Man City specifically Silva, Navas, and Nasri are all great options when they play but it's normally 2 of the 3 for any given day. They also have Milner and Garcia to steal the odd game as well as the addition of Fernando. Tough to feel to confident in whom will play in a given week.

Trying to figure out Chelsea's defensive pairings got quite a bit more difficult with the addition of Luis. Curious how that will affect playing time of Ivanovic and Azpilicueta who had a great year last season. Figure the CD pairing will be Terry and Cahill most games but doesnt Ivanovic occassional play central as well?

Correct but if you have Silva, Toure, Gerrard, and Ozil in your midfield you better be in love with some players from QPR to fill out your roster.

With Man City specifically Silva, Navas, and Nasri are all great options when they play but it's normally 2 of the 3 for any given day. They also have Milner and to steal the odd game as well as the addition of Fernando. Tough to feel to confident in whom will play in a given week.

Trying to figure out Chelsea's defensive pairings got quite a bit more difficult with the addition of Luis. Curious how that will affect playing time of Ivanovic and Azpilicueta who had a great year last season. Figure the CD pairing will be Terry and Cahill most games but doesnt Ivanovic occassional play central as well?

Ivanovic only will play in the central pairing to rest the two starters. I think the rotation will be among the fullbacks, based on the competition. Teams with speed on their left attacking flank will trouble Ivanovic and you might see Azpi in those situations. Luis has not bedded in yet, so I expect Azpi to be the swing man between sides. I wouldn't buy any of the 3 of them for a fantasy team because I don't think Ivanovic (the biggest scorer among them) is going to get as much time this year as the last couple years.

Similarly, for the reasons you state about City, I wouldn't pick Navas or Nasri. I think Silva is the more crucial of those guys, so I put him on my team and expect him to play more than the others, barring injury.

And yes, you have to go to mid-table teams to fill in your roster. Kevin Nolan was very good to me last year, as were the Everton defenders.

This is my opening lineup for the fantasy league:

3-4-3

Howard

Seamus Coleman, John Terry, Phil Jagielka

David Silva, Cesc Fabregas, Jordan Henderson, Kevin Nolan

Olivier Giroud, Diego Costa, Sergio Aguero

Bench - 4 nobodies.

Hey all just a reminder to set up your teams by this Saturday's early kick-off of 7:45 am Eastern

And for anyone that still wants to join the link is below:
http://games.espn.go.com/premier-fantasy/2015/en_GB/group?groupID=311

Group name: Syracusefan.com
password: Orangemen (case sensitive)

Hopefully we can grab some more people.

Also, if anyone wants to hear my best guess for ANY team's starting XI to help pick their fantasy team, just shout

Also, if anyone wants to hear my best guess for ANY team's starting XI to help pick their fantasy team, just shout

I'd like to hear your best guess for ALL PL teams starting 11's actually. I struggle with some of these.

I'd like to hear your best guess for ALL PL teams starting 11's actually. I struggle with some of these.

Lol I'll probably let the resident Chelsea, United, Spurs, etc. fans chime in with their guesses but I'll throw some out there.

Starting with a team that has undergone a lot of changes this summer

Southampton: Forster, Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida (until they buy a replacement), Bertrand, Taider, Wanyama, S. Davis, Ramirez, Tadic, Pelle

some other easy ones:
QPR: Green, Caulker, Ferdinand, Dunne, Isla (or Simpson), Faurlin, Barton, Wright-Phillips, Mutch, Hoilett, Austin

West Ham: Adrian, Demel, Collins, Reid, Cresswell, Downing, Noble, Kouyate, Diame, Nolan, Cole (not much different from last year)

And an interesting case, b/c some of their World Cup players have only recently reported for pre-season (Ozil, Mertesacker, Podolski, Koscielny, Giroud) . This may impact several other teams' availabilities.
Arsenal: Szczesny, Debuchy, Chambers, Koscielny, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Sanchez, Ramsey, Cazorla, Giroud

Let me know if you wanna hear any other specific teams, or I may post some more randoms anyway tomorrow.

Hull: McGregor, Chester, Davies, Bruce, Elmohamady, Livermore, Huddlestone, Brady, Snodgrass, Jelavic, Aluko/Ince - not much different than last, except Shane Long has left.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Arfield, Marney, Jones, Taylor (or Kightly), Ings, Jutkiewicz

West Brom: Foster, Wisdom, Dawson, Olsson, Pocognoli, Mulumbu, Baird, Dorrans, Gardner, Brunt, Berahino

Leicester: Schmeichel, de Laet, Morgan, Moore, Konchesky, Knockaert, Drinkwater, James, Mahrez, Nugent, Ulloa

Hull: McGregor, Chester, Davies, Bruce, Elmohamady, Livermore, Huddlestone, Brady, Snodgrass, Jelavic, Aluko/Ince - not much different than last, except Shane Long has left.

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Arfield, Marney, Jones, Taylor (or Kightly), Ings, Jutkiewicz

West Brom: Foster, Wisdom, Dawson, Olsson, Pocognoli, Mulumbu, Baird, Dorrans, Gardner, Brunt, Berahino

Leicester: Schmeichel, de Laet, Morgan, Moore, Konchesky, Knockaert, Drinkwater, James, Mahrez, Nugent, Ulloa

You sir, know your football!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom