Class of 2016 - Systematic Recruiting Focus | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Systematic Recruiting Focus

dinosaurbbq

2nd String
Its relatively apparent that this coaching staff is employing a systematic focus to address positions of need and have for the past two years, which we obviously needed to do given apparent weaknesses. By that I mean that Class of 2014 focused on WR talent (due to weak WR on field performance) and LB talent (due to graduating players) and secondary help (both). Class of 2015 is focused on OLine (graduating) and further stockpiling of LB talent (losing Davis and Lynch after this year). Obviously we are taking difference makers wherever they may be and will continue to do that just like everyone else.

I would think class of 2016 focus to be RB and DLine. We've been able to sort of rest easy at RB the last couple years knowing we've got a few years left of GM II and D McF back there. The RB we've brought in the last couple years don't appear to be difference makers we are excited about taking the reigns after those two are gone or maybe even who will stick at the position. I would bet we gun hard next year (Class of 2016) and really focus on bringing in 2 highly sought after difference makers at that spot. DLine I would think we will do what we did with LB last year and this bringing in some targeted studs we consider must-gets.

for RB in 2015 we already have Fredericks, Strickland, and Perkins. Seems we might be going hard in 2016 for Robert Washington, but besides him, don't think we really need to focus on taking an RB seeing as how Morris and McFarlane both have 2 years left of eligibility after this year, plus we can possibly use Erv Phillips. Getting Washington seems to be a priority, but I dont expect us to take 3 RB again like we're doing for 2015

Its relatively apparent that this coaching staff is employing a systematic focus to address positions of need and have for the past two years, which we obviously needed to do given apparent weaknesses. By that I mean that Class of 2014 focused on WR talent (due to weak WR on field performance) and LB talent (due to graduating players) and secondary help (both). Class of 2015 is focused on OLine (graduating) and further stockpiling of LB talent (losing Davis and Lynch after this year). Obviously we are taking difference makers wherever they may be and will continue to do that just like everyone else.

I would think class of 2016 focus to be RB and DLine. We've been able to sort of rest easy at RB the last couple years knowing we've got a few years left of GM II and D McF back there. The RB we've brought in the last couple years don't appear to be difference makers we are excited about taking the reigns after those two are gone or maybe even who will stick at the position. I would bet we gun hard next year (Class of 2016) and really focus on bringing in 2 highly sought after difference makers at that spot. DLine I would think we will do what we did with LB last year and this bringing in some targeted studs we consider must-gets.
I would say that Strickland brings in talent at that position this year. You may not need a real 5 star prototype rb with the oline they have built. Maybe a large fullback type for crashing goal lines but once you have an oline that can open big holes any speedster can hit the big holes. After a well rounded team is built and you have a few years to work with them you can go for best available at any spot. Qb being the only real exception. Always take a great qb when you can. If the. Staff has decent depth and decent players all around then you can spend more time hunting down the 5 stars ... If you miss now it hurts for a long time if you miss with a well rounded team a big pick up elsewhere can make it all better . I guess my point is you can't miss out on a 3 star position player waiting out a 5 star till January but if you are well rounded with 3 stars you can spend the next year shooting for the moon and if you swing and miss you can take a lesser player with out doing much damage to the overall team. Where as if you wait out a 5 star wr with a weak core and miss picking up a weak player will really hurt you... If that makes sense. It sounded right to me if it isn't sorry I am operating on 1 hr sleep the last 48

I think you're right on with your swing and miss analogy. We have built our depth. We have addressed positions of need. We can swing for the fences in 2016 and it won't kill us if we fall a little short on numbers. Throw everything we have at Washington, Zembiec, Rene, etc.

Marroniac said:
I think you're right on with your swing and miss analogy. We have built our depth. We have addressed positions of need. We can swing for the fences in 2016 and it won't kill us if we fall a little short on numbers. Throw everything we have at Washington, Zembiec, Rene, etc.

Sonny Abramson is the big 2016 qb target.

In an ideal situation, I think you want balanced classes and don't want to overload any one position in a given class, but I feel good about the way things are going because I don't feel like we're putting all of our eggs in one basket. I swear I'm not trying to make this about Marrone, but I felt some times he was so confident in his talent evaluation that he would sometimes take just a single player at a position and call it good.

Well... that exposes you to a lot of risk if that player doesn't pan out. Getting groups of players at one position spreads that risk out - chances are, some of these guys will be pretty good, and some of them won't make much of an on field impact. Get a bunch of guys, and the numbers work in your favor to have someone solid. Get a bunch of good guys, and suddenly you're looking at a really good unit with nice depth.

We have to see what shakes out this year but right now I'd say next year we still need to bring in a couple of OL, DT, DBs and a couple of DEs. Offensive skill spots look good, but I'd still expect us to go after some offense.

You should always look to bring in guys on both lines.

With 22-25 spots, the class can usually touch all the units on the team. 2014 was an exception -- heavy on WRs (McDonald's focus area and background), light on RBs and OL. 2015 is a make-up for being light with those units, and we also did not need to recruit a QB. It likely helped to be able to tell RB and OL recruits -- look, you have an opportunity due to what we did/did not hit in last year's class.

2016 -- other than looking for that elite QB, are there any units that are especially light? Maybe CB, but otherwise we should be well balanced.

We also seem to be back to bringing in great athletes, people who can run, and have size. Custis, Enoicy, Thomas, players who can help on special teams while learning the playbook. With Custis, Enoicy, we have 2 big receivers who can make a difference in the red zone.

They definitely need to address DT and maybe a stud OT. Rest will be balanced

This! Big uglies on the wrong side of the ball.

In an ideal situation, I think you want balanced classes and don't want to overload any one position in a given class, but I feel good about the way things are going because I don't feel like we're putting all of our eggs in one basket. I swear I'm not trying to make this about Marrone, but I felt some times he was so confident in his talent evaluation that he would sometimes take just a single player at a position and call it good.

Well... that exposes you to a lot of risk if that player doesn't pan out. Getting groups of players at one position spreads that risk out - chances are, some of these guys will be pretty good, and some of them won't make much of an on field impact. Get a bunch of guys, and the numbers work in your favor to have someone solid. Get a bunch of good guys, and suddenly you're looking at a really good unit with nice depth.

lol, yeah you did!

I will say this for FHCDM - he did have a very good eye for talent and he knew what he wanted. I honestly don't think anyone without those skills could have resurrected the program. Without the ability to spot diamonds in the rough there was no real way to get here from there.

This staff has the ability to do different things largely because of the former staff's good work. That said, these guys are taking every advantage of the situation they found.

We are fortunate to have had one follow the other as it seems to have been the right sequence and the right timing.

Long live HC Hard Nosed!

Anomander, just a quick question, is there anyone in the 2016 class you would consider a Cuse lean right now? Or anyone we are in really good shape for.

Anomander, just a quick question, is there anyone in the 2016 class you would consider a Cuse lean right now? Or anyone we are in really good shape for.

I wouldn't say we are really a lean for anyone yet, but are definitely in good shape with some kids. Acosta is doing a lot of work down in NJ. We will have some early 2016 commits I have no doubt. Wouldn't be surprised if Sonny is one of the first.

I wouldn't say we are really a lean for anyone yet, but are definitely in good shape with some kids. Acosta is doing a lot of work down in NJ. We will have some early 2016 commits I have no doubt. Wouldn't be surprised if Sonny is one of the first.

May I ask you to define "early" please? I thought we basically got a crapton of 2015 kids to commit pretty early, but that's just the cycle now a days, would early mean we might get some 2016 kids before the 2015 kids sign on the dotted line?

May I ask you to define "early" please? I thought we basically got a crapton of 2015 kids to commit pretty early, but that's just the cycle now a days, would early mean we might get some 2016 kids before the 2015 kids sign on the dotted line?

I'd define early as before 2015.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom