Tablo TV: Interesting Device for Cord Cutters | Syracusefan.com

Tablo TV: Interesting Device for Cord Cutters

donniesyracuse

Hall of Fame
Tablo TV has been on the market for awhile, but the app will finally be available on the new Apple TV. I am considering it because I have recently cut the cord and gone the HD antenna route. I don't have any experience but this is my understanding of what it does:

Connect an HD antenna to the Tablo TV (obviously in the best position in the house).

The Tablo TV can stream to two ($219) or four devices ($299) in one's home (via the Tablo TV apps on Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, etc.).

The Tablo TV acts as a DVR, which enables one to record live over-the-air television. Apparently one needs to supply his/her own hard drive.

A $5 monthly subscription provides access to TV Guide data, which enables one to schedule future recordings via an on-screen guide

Advantages as I see them:
It's a DVR!
Only need one HD antenna, which can be placed in an ideal location in the house.

Disadvantages as I see them:
Expensive; especially with the $5 monthly subscription and external hard drive
I suspect the picture quality might not be as good as when the antenna is connected directly to the television
Does it actually work well? I haven't read any reviews from reliable sources.

Anybody have first hand experience with one of these?

Here is the video from the website:

Last edited:
From my understanding, after checking out their website, this doesn't give you any more channels than if you just hooked up an antenna to a TV. Apparently all this does is allow you to watch these channels in a more flexible way, by that I mean in terms of integrating it with your WIFI and recording programs.

If you "cut the cord" you will lose many channels with or without this box. Of course, on the plus side, over-the-air TV is free and there isn't anything wrong with that.

From my understanding, after checking out their website, this doesn't give you any more channels than if you just hooked up an antenna to a TV. Apparently all this does is allow you to watch these channels in a more flexible way, by that I mean in terms of integrating it with your WIFI and recording programs.

If you "cut the cord" you will lose many channels with or without this box. Of course, on the plus side, over-the-air TV is free and there isn't anything wrong with that.
Duh, did anyone suggest otherwise? The benefit of it is that one can DVR over the air tv. Why would you expect it to give you more channels?

Nope, no one suggested otherwise.

I assumed, which was a mistake on my part, you were looking for something to replace "the cord" - something that would give you at least some of the channels you'd lose with "the cut". I thought you were mentioning something somewhat similar to Sling TV. Wrong assumption on my part.

pretty simple to buy a $30 card to put in your PC and DVR anything you want.