Talent Level vs Opposition | Syracusefan.com

Talent Level vs Opposition

javadoc

All American
Run down the schedule and assess whether we are more talented, less, or equal to each opponent. If there are crucial single players that tip the scale, note it.

I don't know enough to answer in most cases, but am curious what others think who follow it more closely. See where we are in year 6 of the complete rebuild.

I think we're more talented than Villanova, CMU, Maryland, Wake Forest, NC State, and BC.

Notre Dame gets the nod with Golson coming back and the high level recruits they have all over the field.

Louisville is close for me and essentially a toss-up, as I'm interested to see how replacing Teddy goes. They've got a ton of athletes, though.

Clemson and Florida State are obvious.

Duke returns a lot of talent, especially more proven talent at the skill positions. I give them an edge over us. (That felt weird to type about Duke football)

Pitt gets the slight nod in an even match-up because they have one of the best players in the whole conference in Tyler Boyd. I also think they'll be improved at the QB position.

More
Talent: nova, cmu, wake, Maryland, state, bc, pitt, doooke (maybe not but whatever)

I can see us pulling an upset @ Clemson. I think we might beat A tough team this year (ND or Clemson) then pull a What game against Wake.

CanadianSU said:
I think we might beat A tough team this year (ND or Clemson) then pull a What game against Wake.
There still hasn't been a What loss in the Marrone/Shafer era; although there have been close calls. It helps to rarely be favored.

donniesyracuse said:
There still hasn't been a What loss in the Marrone/Shafer era; although there have been close calls. It helps to rarely be favored.

Yeah this is either damning with faint praise or a backhanded compliment.

Take your pick.

Run down the schedule and assess whether we are more talented, less, or equal to each opponent. If there are crucial single players that tip the scale, note it.

I don't know enough to answer in most cases, but am curious what others think who follow it more closely. See where we are in year 6 of the complete rebuild.

Better rosters than Nova, CMU, Wake.

On par with Pitt, BC, NCST, Duke, Umd

Saying the above is coming along way from 2008.

I think we should just refer to gtech as those who shalt not be named

Georgia Tech comes pretty close.

What should refer to the margin of defeat as well as an upset loss. Last year's team came up well short of reasonable expectations in several games. We should never lose to anybody by 8 touchdowns, (and the FSU score was already in the books at the end of the third quarter: if they'd wanted to score 70-80 points, they could have). The Noles put their stamp on a lot of teams last year but only Maryland and Idaho were worse. Georgia Tech beat two teams worse: Elon and Alabama A&M. Their next most decisive win was 38-14, (although that was over Duke). Clemson beat South Carolina State, Wake Forest and the Citadel a little worse than they beat us. Nobody lost to Northwestern by the margin we did and the game wasn't that close.

What should refer to the margin of defeat as well as an upset loss. Last year's team came up well short of reasonable expectations in several games. We should never lose to anybody by 8 touchdowns, (and the FSU score was already in the books at the end of the third quarter: if they'd wanted to score 70-80 points, they could have). The Noles put their stamp on a lot of teams last year but only Maryland and Idaho were worse. Georgia Tech beat two teams worse: Elon and Alabama A&M. Their next most decisive win was 38-14, (although that was over Duke). Clemson beat South Carolina State, Wake Forest and the Citadel a little worse than they beat us. Nobody lost to Northwestern by the margin we did and the game wasn't that close.

Great point about the blowout losses. Rarely was a Syracuse team beat like that during the Marrone era. Really hope that improves this year because the Ga Tech and FSU scores were ridiculous.

> Nova, CMU, WF, BC
= Maryland, NCST, Duke
< ND, Louisville, FSU, Clemson, Pitt