Tapatalk - 4.4 rating/Forum Runner 3.1 - why replace? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tapatalk - 4.4 rating/Forum Runner 3.1 - why replace?

Moontan said:
I like how you can walk back through the quoted portions of posts. It's also nice that it defaults to not including a signature.

I get the feeling some developer left Tapatalk and started their own mobile forum reader. This looks and feels so much like the original Tapatalk. As they add more options and we upgrade, I hope it doesn't cause whatever issues we were having with Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I paid the $1.99 to download it but I can't log in and I have an Android. Not sure why but I don't feel like messing with it right now.

Again, still drunk, but I hate this. How do you like a post? I hate new things.

temery said:
Settings>Home Screen Favorites

From Forum Runner:

Android OS Push Notification Activation

To activate Push Notification for Forum Runner for Android, follow the steps below:
Purchase the full version of Forum Runner from the Android Market
Verify that you are logged into a Google account in Settings->Accounts and Sync Settings
Launch Forum Runner.
Touch the "Notification Settings" icon on the home screen
Choose "Create Account" and enter a user name, password, and valid e-mail you would like to use
After you submit it, an activation e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address. Click on the activation link in that e-mail to activate your account
Congratulations! Once you favorite some forums that have fully installed the Forum Runner plugin, you will get updates periodically!

For push notifications to work on Android, you must be logged into the Google Apps as we use the same framework that Google uses for sending updates (such as Mail, etc).

Yup. Me too. I'm a little confused. Is Tom going to be able to add "notifications" as a tab at some point? Or is it only push notification alerts that show up like texts all day long. Obviously hoping for the former
Looks like you have to flag a forum as a favorite in order to get notifications for it. Try that and see if you have better luck.

CuseTroop said:
Again, still drunk, but I hate this. How do you like a post? I hate new things.
Tap the post's header (the area next to the poster's avatar). There you'll have options to "Like", "Quote", etc..

Well after 3 days with forum runner I have to say Im not a fan. It froze on a black screen twice, restarted my phone still didnt work so i had to uninstall then install 2 times already in 3 days . And the notifications? What notifications. Sad part is you gotta pay for something that isnt put together well. This app should be free because its a joke.

albanycuse said:
Well after 3 days with forum runner I have to say Im not a fan. It froze on a black screen twice, restarted my phone still didnt work so i had to uninstall then install 2 times already in 3 days . And the notifications? What notifications. Sad part is you gotta pay for something that isnt put together well. This app should be free because its a joke.
Not having an actual tab that lists all notifications and alerts is TERRIBLE. I get push notifications but then have to hunt down where they came from.

Good to know.

I don't like anything about it, the notifications is what ticks me off the most. If it was the only option out there it would be fine but we moved from a better app to a worse one.

What's the consensus on the new app? doesn't sound good - it's cheap, but I don't feel like spending money on something that sucks.

But, at the same time, without tapatalk I'm missing out on the board!

Disappointed at the loss, tapatalk was the best app on my phone (still is for other forums)

mountaincuse said:
What's the consensus on the new app? doesn't sound good - it's cheap, but I don't feel like spending money on something that sucks.

But, at the same time, without tapatalk I'm missing out on the board!

Disappointed at the loss, tapatalk was the best app on my phone (still is for other forums)

I'm very disappointed with not being able to have a tab for alerts notifications but if temery wasn't able to deal with certain tapatalk issues then I'm fine with the move. Admins put time and energy in trying to make a great experience for us and I'll trust it was necessary

mountaincuse said:
What's the consensus on the new app? doesn't sound good - it's cheap, but I don't feel like spending money on something that sucks. But, at the same time, without tapatalk I'm missing out on the board! Disappointed at the loss, tapatalk was the best app on my phone (still is for other forums)

I broke down and installed it yesterday. It works similarly to Tapatalk and I can navigate it just fine. I set it up to get notifications without an issue. It's a much better mobile alternative than trying to view the full site on safari.

TDTOrange said:
I broke down and installed it yesterday. It works similarly to Tapatalk and I can navigate it just fine. I set it up to get notifications without an issue. It's a much better mobile alternative than trying to view the full site on safari.

Yes you get a notification number amount to randoms posts that arent labeled. So you get say 3 notifications to ???? You have to remember what threads your in and scroll through them. App is bad. It froze on me twice and had to uninstall then install, i got 2 different error messages and had to press ok 4 times for it to work again. I only had this for four days. I rather go through my phones browser for something that works 85 % of the time.

albanycuse said:
Yes you get a notification number amount to randoms posts that arent labeled. So you get say 3 notifications to ???? You have to remember what threads your in and scroll through them. App is bad. It froze on me twice and had to uninstall then install, i got 2 different error messages and had to press ok 4 times for it to work again. I only had this for four days. I rather go through my phones browser for something that works 85 % of the time.

Yeah. I'll take a little of that back regarding the notifications. I'm getting the ones where it's just a straight reply to a thread I've posted in, but I didn't get anything from you quoting me here. Not sure about likes yet, where's tee when you need him?!?

It's definitely not as robust as Tapatalk was, but it's still easier to access and read the boards quickly than browsing the full site IMO.

Do people log out a lot? Every time I start the app I have to search again and I already turned on the option to go to last forum searched.,,any ideas?

AZOrange said:
Do people log out a lot? Every time I start the app I have to search again and I already turned on the option to go to last forum searched.,,any ideas?
After you've selected SyracuseFan.com (or one of its forums) simply select "Add To Favorites" and it'll appear on Forum Runner's opening screen.

Forum Runner isn't perfect, but Tapatalk was a pain to me and the admins. In Tapatalk I had to delete and re-add SyracuseFan.com several times per week. In Forum Runner I don't receive notifications even though I have that feature activated and enabled.

They both provide a handy way to read and post from my mobile devices. If there are website issues supporting one of these then I'm fine with using the other. Hopefully the app(s) will continue to improve.

could there be anymore error messages every day. timed out , parse error, disconnected. JUNK.

I really dislike the fact that you don't get alerts when you were quoted or liked. The only notifications I get is a delayed notice of a PM. Nothing on anything else. I agree with 690West. I hope the next update can resolve this.

Not a shot at temery either. Thanks for all you do.

When you get a notification, instead of having to scroll through to try to find the thread you were notified about, I just go to "Current" and at the top click "participated".. It shows only the threads you have commented in. Makes it alot easier.