TCU qb battle | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

TCU qb battle

Let's see 1 of 30 NFL Head Coaching jobs, or Syracuse and a dysfunctional Athletic Department, with a questionable at best investment to winning. I'd like see how many head coaches turn that down despite those 2 words i am sure he regrets.

The Buffalo Bills job ? We are not talking about the New England Patriots, NY Giants, or Pittsburgh Steelers job.

And what happened showed his true colors and tried to power play his way into another job and now he is a no name assistant for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

You want to leave fine. Just don't decimate the coaching staff. Why did he have to do that ?

Why did he say and I quote "Syracuse is my dream job".

I will never let that go or forgive him for that.
You're a petulant child. It was his dream job, or rather his vision of it from his time at SU was his dream job. It wasn't what he believed it would be.
Move on. Did you marry the first girl you loved?
Besides, its just football, it has no impact on your life, and life is too short for grudges. It brings you down, lessens you as a person, and does nothing to DM.

And he said the same when loading JB's luggage into his car

and again, who cares. Grown men upset because Marrone might have exaggerated what his dream job was. So what. If he came out and said, this is one of my top 5 jobs everyone would have whined and cried about that.

BTW - there's not enough orange in your Avatar.

You want to leave fine. Just don't decimate the coaching staff. Why did he have to do that ?

This is so annoying. All that did was save Shafer from having to fire guys he worked with to bring in the guys he really wanted...you know the same thing that happens with 98% of coaching changes.

Oburg - I meant to add a smiley face so you realized I was joking around about the orange/avatar part. Hopefully you got that, wasn't meant to be a @ss.

The Buffalo Bills job ? We are not talking about the New England Patriots, NY Giants, or Pittsburgh Steelers job.

And what happened showed his true colors and tried to power play his way into another job and now he is a no name assistant for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Bills job is one of 30 like it in the world. It's a great job. Are there better NFL jobs? Of course. It's still one of 30. And as for taking his staff, you haven't been in the business world very long. That is how you move up in the world. Someone you work for moves up, they take you with them. Honestly, that's how it works. Marrone took care of his guys. Coach Mac did the same thing when he left to go to the Pats.

Why did he say and I quote "Syracuse is my dream job".

I will never let that go or forgive him for that.

You better never take a promotion, sir. Ever.

Or you will look like a jerk in your own eyes for bettering yourself and your family.

Let's see 1 of 30 NFL Head Coaching jobs, or Syracuse and a dysfunctional Athletic Department, with a questionable at best investment to winning. I'd like see how many head coaches turn that down despite those 2 words i am sure he regrets.
Doug taking the NFL job is not the point. Doug taking the entire staff and leaving like the fing thin skinned baby that he turned out to be is.

kcsu said:
Doug taking the NFL job is not the point. Doug taking the entire staff and leaving like the fing thin skinned baby that he turned out to be is.

I'm in the minority on this but I'm over him taking the staff. Hire the best guys you know (that you can get).

kcsu said:

That happens all the time though. Almost every coach who is hired by another school brings "his" guys.

Oburg - I meant to add a smiley face so you realized I was joking around about the orange/avatar part. Hopefully you got that, wasn't meant to be a @ss.
Totally got. Actually had a good chuckle :)

Yeah seriously.

Least Shafer is invested and bleeds Orange. I think he and the Orange football team will have a bounce back season.
What makes you think Shafer bleeds orange? You don't think he'd be gone in an instant if Michigan or Stanford were to offer him their HC job? He'd probably even leave if Illinois offered him their HC job (be a lot easier to recruit IL kids to there than SU). I like the guy but he's no more invested than any other coach. Of course his record isn't going to have other programs coming after him anytime soon. SU should be so lucky to be good enough again that other programs want their coach.

And this may be to another poster but...I bet Shafer would take almost his entire staff with him.

Im all for coaches looking out for their friends and taking them with them unless one of the staff is promoted at that point i believe they need to help the friend who is taking over the benefit of keeping the staff together. Without Shafer Doug would have had limited success at Syracuse. He owed it to Shafer to at a minimum not decimate the staff during recruiting. Doug was and is a selfish . Old habits die hard and he keeps proving that such as the way he screwed over his buddies with the buffalo move.

Im all for coaches looking out for their friends and taking them with them unless one of the staff is promoted at that point i believe they need to help the friend who is taking over the benefit of keeping the staff together. Without Shafer Doug would have had limited success at Syracuse. He owed it to Shafer to at a minimum not decimate the staff during recruiting. Doug was and is a selfish . . . . . . Old habits die hard and he keeps proving that such as the way he screwed over his buddies with the buffalo move.
Doug does appear to be a selfish man. Taking his staff is not an example of this. I'm sure every person he took got more money and a better job to put on their resume.

Im all for coaches looking out for their friends and taking them with them unless one of the staff is promoted at that point i believe they need to help the friend who is taking over the benefit of keeping the staff together. Without Shafer Doug would have had limited success at Syracuse. He owed it to Shafer to at a minimum not decimate the staff during recruiting. Doug was and is a selfish . . . . . . Old habits die hard and he keeps proving that such as the way he screwed over his buddies with the buffalo move.

Those buddies he "screwed" had expiring contracts. That was one of his demands, that those guys that had come over with him were extended.

Bills said no.

Those buddies he "screwed" had expiring contracts. That was one of his demands, that those guys that had come over with him were extended.

Bills said no.

So he went from the majority of them most likely being extended to the majority of them being unemployed/demoted. Power play for the ages, collateral damage and all.

What makes you think Shafer bleeds orange? You don't think he'd be gone in an instant if Michigan or Stanford were to offer him their HC job? He'd probably even leave if Illinois offered him their HC job (be a lot easier to recruit IL kids to there than SU). I like the guy but he's no more invested than any other coach. Of course his record isn't going to have other programs coming after him anytime soon. SU should be so lucky to be good enough again that other programs want their coach.

And this may be to another poster but...I bet Shafer would take almost his entire staff with him.
Thats a guarantee. Especially if he went back to the midwest.

No I don't think he would leave.

Scott Shafer the man > Doug Marrone the man.

Doug Marrone the coach > better than Scott Shafer the coach.

And that's what they get paid for and that's what people pay for, not who the better guy is at the barbecue.

Seriously. As long as our HC isn't covering up child rape I can care less about their personalities, or likability. If they are getting recruits, and more importantly getting wins, that's all we should carry about.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom