Class of 2015 - TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI

Toad has a guy with OSU, ND, MSU, and Oregon offers as #26 in New Jersey. That's hilarious.

2 weeks ago he was 48th :bang: He must have really put in some work in these last couple of weeks to jump 22 spots and still only be 26th...and I'm willing to bet he'll be around 10-15 probably during one of their next rankings unless he commits to us. This just goes to show how all over the board these rankings can be especially when the people doing the rankings probably have never played a down of football in their lives... They do their initial rankings and are way off on so many of them and then just follow what schools are offering and where guys commit to determine how they should be ranked.

2 weeks ago he was 48th :bang: He must have really put in some work in these last couple of weeks to jump 22 spots and still only be 26th...and I'm willing to bet he'll be around 10-15 probably during one of their next rankings unless he commits to us. This just goes to show how all over the board these rankings can be especially when the people doing the rankings probably have never played a down of football in their lives... They do their initial rankings and are way off on so many of them and then just follow what schools are offering and where guys commit to determine how they should be ranked.

Maybe so but I'll bet Toad ate a football once ...

Jake Pickard‏@JakePickard2015 6h
Just rolled into #cuse
1f634.png
1f634.png

It seems like an easy choice to me between U. Meyer and HCSS.
One coach builds teams. One builds individuals and teams.
Aaron Hernandez would either have become a better person or been dismissed from the team if he had played for HCSS.

It seems like an easy choice to me between U. Meyer and HCSS.
One coach builds teams. One builds individuals and teams.
Aaron Hernandez would either have become a better person or been dismissed from the team if he had played for HCSS.

Counter-argument - one puts 10+ guys a year in the pros (drafted), the other got 2 guys drafted total as a HC.

As to Hernandez, the guy is a bad bad man and I don't think anybody was fixing him. Tebow and Bellicheck couldn't do it, so why put that on Meyer as well? Secondly I have serious doubts if we had a guy as talented as Hernandez in college (you know before he started killing people) that we would have kicked him out of school. Although we did kick MPB to the curb last year for his little incident. So maybe we would have.

There is no way HCSS puts up with a player flashing hand guns on campus. No way he covers up failed drug tests. No way does he look the other way if one of his players is identified at the scene of a drive by shooting. Good old Urban allegedly did all of that.

Counter-argument - one puts 10+ guys a year in the pros (drafted), the other got 2 guys drafted total as a HC.

Nate mink could put 10 guys a year into the pros if he coached at Florida and Ohio state, two schools that pull in the best talent regardless of coach. I'd be more impressed with coaches who can win or develop pros at non football factories.

Nate mink could put 10 guys a year into the pros if he coached at Florida and Ohio state, two schools that pull in the best talent regardless of coach. I'd be more impressed with coaches who can win or develop pros at non football factories.

Yeah, but those school remain powerhouses because the coach can recruit both kids and big time $$$ to keep the program at the top. Either way, where are your chances better of making the next level, being coached by Meyer at OSU (where probably 10 guys from your class will get drafted) or at SU being coached by Shafer (where recent history suggests 4 or less guys will be drafted from your class)

statistics say go with meyer at OSU if your only goal is the pros.

There is no way HCSS puts up with a player flashing hand guns on campus. No way he covers up failed drug tests. No way does he look the other way if one of his players is identified at the scene of a drive by shooting. Good old Urban allegedly did all of that.

Urban has done all of that, and then a whole heck of a lot more. No one will ever get me to believe otherwise.

But lots of other top end coaches have looked the other way too, Saban, Tressel, Paterno, Calipari, Wooden, Strong, Muschamp

They all do it, because for some messed up reason, the best players are consistently terrible people, and if you want to win, you have to let garbage slide. It obviously has something to do with being told your whole life you are a god and being handed literally everything growing up, but it still is annoying to see so very little humility amongst elite level athletes across the board.

Libero2 said:
Yeah, but those school remain powerhouses because the coach can recruit both kids and big time $$$ to keep the program at the top. Either way, where are your chances better of making the next level, being coached by Meyer at OSU (where probably 10 guys from your class will get drafted) or at SU being coached by Shafer (where recent history suggests 4 or less guys will be drafted from your class)

Good thing that is not Jake Pickard's only goal.

Good thing that is not Jake Pickard's only goal.
A very good point. Speaking of which, do we have some kind of time table on Pickards decision?

Libero2 said:
A very good point. Speaking of which, do we have some kind of time table on Pickards decision?

Don't know as of right now. Not for awhile I'd guess.

Seems like we did everything we could've with this visit. Will be one to watch going forward. Awesome to be battling Nebraska and Oregon for a player.

I will bet $5 he doesn't go to Nebraska or OSU. I think he stays east coast, except for ND, and if some California schools offer.

I know you are trying to prove a point that teams like OSU and UF put more guys into the NFL than Syracuse, but you are greatly exaggerating how many guys from those schools get drafted. This year, Ohio St had 7 guys get drafted (between Juniors, Seniors, and Redshirt Seniors, so it's not even 1 class, more like 3), which is unbelievable, but the previous years they had only 3 and 4 guys, with no one being taken in the first round. You have to remember that these schools recruit the best players (Like Ryan Shazier), so most of the top guys taken this year from OSU would've been drafted whether they went to a Big 10 powerhouse or Syracuse (see Khalil mack from Buffalo taken at pick 5).

Urban meyer isn't the sole reason these players get drafted. Also, look at the list I linked, the only player in the last 5 years drafted from OSU that has made an impact on an NFL team is James Laurinaitis in 2009. Their first round picks don't even cut it; Cameron heyward has 7.5 career sacks in 3 years, Malcolm Jenkins is making 1$ million this year with the Eagles after being on a horrendous Saints defense, Beanie Wells is Beanie Wells, Vernon Gholston is laughable, etc. OSU may put guys in the NFL because they recruit the best athletes, but they don't necessarily make them great football players, they just get taken due to their athleticism and potential, which isn't coached by Urban Meyer, or any coach for that matter.

It's easy to throw numbers out like OSU and UF get 10 players drafted a year, but look further into it, and you'll realize that they don't get 40-50% of their players drafted per class and only about 4% actually make a name for themselves in the NFL outside of "bust". That goes for every school, by the way, not specifically OSU, Syracuse, UF, etc.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=O&collegeName=Ohio State&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Last edited:

Disagree-Meyer gets a roster full of NFL-type athletes. Many of those guys end up never seeing the field, where they might have started and played a ton elsewhere. A guy like Joe Flacco didn't even play at Pitt and ended up becoming a 1st rounder at Delaware. It's about talent, exposure, and coaching, probably in that order. I am certain there has been NFL talent sitting the bench in many of the "factories".

Disagree-Meyer gets a roster full of NFL-type athletes. Many of those guys end up never seeing the field, where they might have started and played a ton elsewhere. A guy like Joe Flacco didn't even play at Pitt and ended up becoming a 1st rounder at Delaware. It's about talent, exposure, and coaching, probably in that order. I am certain there has been NFL talent sitting the bench in many of the "factories".

cough ... Matt Cassell ... cough

Live in the same town and know a couple of kids who play with him. Supposedly down to 2 schools, both in the Big 10.