Class of 2015 - TE/WR Westerband "West" Lindor (MO) Verbal to Brown | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/WR Westerband "West" Lindor (MO) Verbal to Brown

I feel like this forums a playground.

How old are you? LOL

Dude, you followed me to a different thread and started this based on an argument in another thread that I stopped posting in where you had the last post! And you question my maturity? Move on!

Can you two take it to PM's and not bombard threads with silly back and forths?

Dude, you followed me to a different thread and started this based on an argument in another thread that I stopped posting in where you had the last post! And you question my maturity? Move on!
Can you two take it to PM's and not bombard threads with silly back and forths?
a day late and a dollar short. That is over.

Parkinson is still in play. Doesn't mean he comes here, but this isn't an either or situation.

I remember folks freaking out because we didn't do a junior day last year. Tough crowd.
Folks = the same people whining now.

Folks = the same people whining now.

I never once questioned why we didn't have a junior day. I was right there with you, BC's kept getting brought up and I'm pretty sure they didn't even get a commit out of it. I still don't feel they're a big deal.

Me personally, I've not really questioned much this staff has done. This might be the first time I ever have, and that's mainly because my understanding of the direction they were headed was different. Ano and Phat aren't unreasonable posters. They usually have a good reason why they ask questions, they follow this much more closely than I do and likely have much better sources than I do.

Problem I have with the board lately is that reasonable dissenting opinion is not only not respected, it's borderline not tolerated. What Sudano is posting is not what I'm referring to, if you have a problem with that feel free to tee off. He's entitled to his opinion but he's at the far end of the spectrum.

The Jay Bromley's situations are the exception, he also dominated an all-star game and was a man among boys that day. It was pretty apparent the kid was a beast.
So Phat I guess the jones brothers, Jsutin Pugh and Nick Robinson would be other exceptions What you need to do is pass judgement on his offers in February and not July. The recruiting season has 7 months left. Lots of kids without any offers right now will end up with multiple offers by the end of this process. I also don't see why you don't like about this kid. There's no big difference between him and Parkinson.

I never once questioned why we didn't have a junior day. I was right there with you, BC's kept getting brought up and I'm pretty sure they didn't even get a commit out of it. I still don't feel they're a big deal.

Me personally, I've not really questioned much this staff has done. This might be the first time I ever have, and that's mainly because my understanding of the direction they were headed was different. Ano and Phat aren't unreasonable posters. They usually have a good reason why they ask questions, they follow this much more closely than I do and likely have much better sources than I do.

Problem I have with the board lately is that reasonable dissenting opinion is not only not respected, it's borderline not tolerated. What Sudano is posting is not what I'm referring to, if you have a problem with that feel free to tee off. He's entitled to his opinion but he's at the far end of the spectrum.

He's talking about me as being one of the whiner's.

I guess we all have to get in line with our pom poms every single time we get a recruit? I have questioned 3 of our 22 commits. If that makes me a whiner, then so be it.

tep624 said:
I never once questioned why we didn't have a junior day. I was right there with you, BC's kept getting brought up and I'm pretty sure they didn't even get a commit out of it. I still don't feel they're a big deal. Me personally, I've not really questioned much this staff has done. This might be the first time I ever have, and that's mainly because my understanding of the direction they were headed was different. Ano and Phat aren't unreasonable posters. They usually have a good reason why they ask questions, they follow this much more closely than I do and likely have much better sources than I do. Problem I have with the board lately is that reasonable dissenting opinion is not only not respected, it's borderline not tolerated. What Sudano is posting is not what I'm referring to, if you have a problem with that feel free to tee off. He's entitled to his opinion but he's at the far end of the spectrum.

Don't take disagreeing as not being tolerated. My only thing was be careful how negative it gets - as these kids and their families show up here sometimes. Maybe that doesn't matter, don't know.

And for what's it worth - the dissenting opinion was the side that thought he was worth the scholarship...

Don't take disagreeing as not being tolerated. My only thing was be careful how negative it gets - as these kids and their families show up here sometimes. Maybe that doesn't matter, don't know.

And for what's it worth - the dissenting opinion was the side that thought he was worth the scholarship...

I don't take disagreeing as not being tolerated. Debating topics that affect the SU community is one of the biggest values I feel the board brings to the table.

I consider the "trust the staff, they know what they're doing" repetition when a question is asked about a staff decision as not being tolerated. That to me is the equivalent of saying Shut Up, the staff never makes a mistake and how dare you question them - which is utterly ridiculous. And don't get me wrong, there's a big difference between questioning everything the staff does, which about 2 posters do, and reasonably questioning a decision from time to time, which is what most of the posters that regularly post on the recruiting board do. And I'm a person that hardly ever questions this staff and thinks they're doing a bang up job.

tep624 said:
I don't take disagreeing as not being tolerated. Debating topics that affect the SU community is one of the biggest values I feel the board brings to the table. I consider the "trust the staff, they know what they're doing" repetition when a question is asked about a staff decision as not being tolerated. That to me is the equivalent of saying Shut Up, the staff never makes a mistake and how dare you question them - which is utterly ridiculous. And don't get me wrong, there's a big difference between questioning everything the staff does, which about 2 posters do, and reasonably questioning a decision from time to time, which is what most of the posters that regularly post on the recruiting board do. And I'm a person that hardly ever questions this staff and thinks they're doing a bang up job.

I hear you. I think recruiting stuff tends to get the "trust the staff" treatment a lot because there are so many unknowns. I'll try to do better at not beating that drum all the time...

I guess we all have to get in line with our pom poms every single time we get a recruit? I have questioned 3 of our 22 commits. If that makes me a whiner, then so be it.
Occasionally whining about a given topic/issue doesn't make one a "whiner". You and most of the others (sans Sudano) in this thread are far from whiners but are valued posters with significant insight. I look forward to reading your posts.

My biggest concern is, and always will be, the public criticism of recruits and current players. I'm from the Al McGuire school of thought that you simply don't boo amateur athletes. Call me old fashioned.

Btw, we actually agree far more than we disagree regarding holding a "Jr Day". I'd be surprised if this staff doesn't hold something more formal next year now that they've established themselves in their prime recruiting territories. I think that timing and logistics made such an event difficult to plan and execute this past season. Currently, the staff is waist deep into the 2016 recruiting class which helps garner the numbers necessary to make a Jr Day event feasible.

How do you know he's not capable of playing "in the upper echelons of the ACC"? By watching his tape? Guess what... our coaches have seen him in person. Looked at his hands, watched exactly how he runs routes, goes up and gets the ball and lastly, can judge his character. All of these things you do not know about. The staff likes him, that should be enough to make everyone else satisfied. They did not want to wait any longer for a few other kids, but that doesn't mean they're being impatient. They may take more than one Y, and even if they don't, they were confident with this kid's talents. For the 1,000th time, a kid's offers DO NOT MATTER AT THIS POINT. Hell, we don't even know which offers are legit as players tend to exaggerate their own recruitments.

We all need to be happy we're picking up all of these kids so early. There's alot of time left and there will be kids that waver. OUR COACHES KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. Trust me on that.
I get that everybody likes to dump on Sudano for his perceived negativity. I think the whole "trust the coaches" thing is overdone though and it gets old real quick. Yeah, you're right we've got to trust them, its not like we have any other options as fans. I get that they're the professionals and this is their livelihood, and hopefully they do know what they're doing. But we're confusing hope with results. After one 7-6 season I think the jury is still out on how this staff will pan out ultimately. Nobody wants them to succeed at the recruiting wars as much as I do. Imo, its going to be tough to compete in a power conference like the ACC with class after class built around diamonds in the rough that other schools couldn't find. Can it be done? Nothing is impossible but I'd be hard pressed to name a school in a major conference that can consistently win with under the radar talent. There is something to be said for the fact that recruiting is a numbers game and that occasionally we will find and develop those diamonds in the rough-all I'm saying is we can't rely on it. Those guys are the exceptions, not the rule. Having said that, we are not a selector school yet nor will we probably ever be. I'm just saying I'm looking forward to the day when we are competing and winning recruiting battles against peer institutions on a more regular basis for more obvious higher level talent and the under the radar guys are the exception not the norm for us.

I get the trust the coaches thing, and I understand both arguements. For me, I trust the coaches and make my evaluations as a fan, sometimes I can see why the coaches like a recruit, sometimes it is a little more difficult, but as far as diamonds in the rough, not all kids are going to be evaluated. Not having any stars doesn't equate to not being a good player or being a diamond in the rough, all types of variables come into play for these kids from financial restraints to academics to not knowing the right people to get your name out there. Really at this point it is a wait and see type thing, but the most recent past has suggested that the coaches hit far more than they miss. I wouldn't say blindly trust the coaches, but the evidence of the track record. The final record of the team during a season doesnt necessarily reflect the caliber of recruit you have on the field. We can debate the merits either way, but these kids will grow and improve, they may not meet some people's expectations on the field, but they will be solid contributors to a program that is on the rise.

Statesman1 said:
I get that everybody likes to dump on Sudano for his perceived negativity. I think the whole "trust the coaches" thing is overdone though and it gets old real quick. Yeah, you're right we've got to trust them, its not like we have any other options as fans. I get that they're the professionals and this is their livelihood, and hopefully they do know what they're doing. But we're confusing hope with results. After one 7-6 season I think the jury is still out on how this staff will pan out ultimately. Nobody wants them to succeed at the recruiting wars as much as I do. Imo, its going to be tough to compete in a power conference like the ACC with class after class built around diamonds in the rough that other schools couldn't find. Can it be done? Nothing is impossible but I'd be hard pressed to name a school in a major conference that can consistently win with under the radar talent. There is something to be said for the fact that recruiting is a numbers game and that occasionally we will find and develop those diamonds in the rough-all I'm saying is we can't rely on it. Those guys are the exceptions, not the rule. Having said that, we are not a selector school yet nor will we probably ever be. I'm just saying I'm looking forward to the day when we are competing and winning recruiting battles against peer institutions on a more regular basis for more obvious higher level talent and the under the radar guys are the exception not the norm for us.

We'll be beating peer institutions for the rest the year, fighting them off from the kids we already have. We won't hear about it enough to keep people from ragging on them - but it happened last year and it will again this year.

And some are trying to analyze if that's a good thing. Not much of a deep thinker are you.

If this particular staff likes a young man enough to offer him a commitable scholarship then I am extremely happy he accepted. This staff has better relationships on the recruiting trail than we have had in quite some time and so far have been really really good judges of talent. So much so that Shafer has mentioned that other schools "follow his guys around" on the recruiting trail to see who they are interested in and offering.

Glad to have this young man as part of our team.

So you're trusting a bunch of random guys on a website that hands out arbitrary ratings than our coaching staff that knows exactly what they're looking for and have been evaluating tape their whole lives, that also have connections with hundreds of high school coaches around the country?

Go for it.

Ano, with your insight you are entitled to be whatever you like as far as I am concerned as long as you keep feeding us tidbits that don't get you in trouble.

I find it interesting that the coaches don't go through every recruit starting with the 5 stars at every position and go alphabetically, then the 4 stars, then the 3 stars, etc. until we have waited every recruit out to get a commitment. This amazing system would ensure that we always had the highest rated recruit at every position according to the infallible recruiting services of course. Or...we could wait too long and wind up without a class on NSD at all.

What's funny about these back and forths on recruits is that everyone will be right in the end. Whether you're on the "trust the staff" side or on the "offers/stars/my own analysis" side, it all comes out in the wash. In the end, about 1/2 the recruits will be solid contributors, maybe even stars, and about 1/2 the recruits will be non-contributors or maybe minor role players.

So you're trusting a bunch of random guys on a website that hands out arbitrary ratings than our coaching staff that knows exactly what they're looking for and have been evaluating tape their whole lives, that also have connections with hundreds of high school coaches around the country?

Anomander you're seeing ghosts. When did I ever give an opinion as to trusting any random guys on a website (yourself included) when it comes to recruiting? I evaluate recruiting based on wins and losses produced on Saturdays, not grainy footage taken from high school dog tracks. We're all suitably impressed with your connections to whoever on the staff, but the fact is that this group hasn't been around long enough to establish a track record recruiting at Syracuse. Since you're reading comprehension skills are obviously limited and you missed my entire, simple point, let me repeat it for you: It's tough to make a living recruiting a majority of under the radar guys in this conference. The odds are simply not in favor of under the radar guys consistently panning out. I would prefer to see a list of recruits choosing Syracuse where other professional evaluators of high school football talent (not anyone on a website) have offers in to the kids we are recruiting, that is all, and preferably not from MAC schools. You guys act like our coaches are the only staff in the country that "knows exactly what they're looking for and have been evaluating tape their whole lives, that also have connections with hundreds of high school coaches around the country?" Seriously? Does this only happen here at Syracuse with your buddies on the hill? Stop looking at the world through your fanboy glasses and get a dose of reality.

Statesman1 Never said this was about my "connections on the hill". It's not tough to make a living recruiting "under the radar" guys as we've seen through the Marrone era and we're seeing so far under Shafer. If other schools aren't aware of a prospect they can't offer them can they?

We offered Davante Davis before anyone else, and he's probably going to end up at Alabama or another selector school. We had to fight wars last year with PSU, Miami, Tennessee to name a few just to keep some of our recruits. But that's not reported because the prospect has already committed and a school like that won't offer unless they know they'll flip.

Will some of these "under the radar" kids not pan out? Sure. But Averin Collier and Lavar Lobdell were high profile kids with tons of offers and didn't pan out. Quinta Funderburk hasn't panned out. We'll see how many of the kids in this class our staff can hang onto because there will be significant pressure from other schools moving forward.

We'll be beating peer institutions for the rest the year, fighting them off from the kids we already have. We won't hear about it enough to keep people from ragging on them - but it happened last year and it will again this year.
I hope that's the case
Statesman1 Never said this was about my "connections on the hill". It's not tough to make a living recruiting "under the radar" guys as we've seen through the Marrone era and we're seeing so far under Shafer. If other schools aren't aware of a prospect they can't offer them can they?

We offered Davante Davis before anyone else, and he's probably going to end up at Alabama or another selector school. We had to fight wars last year with PSU, Miami, Tennessee to name a few just to keep some of our recruits. But that's not reported because the prospect has already committed and a school like that won't offer unless they know they'll flip.

Will some of these "under the radar" kids not pan out? Sure. But Averin Collier and Lavar Lobdell were high profile kids with tons of offers and didn't pan out. Quinta Funderburk hasn't panned out. We'll see how many of the kids in this class our staff can hang onto because there will be significant pressure from other schools moving forward.
Here we go with name dropping the few actual high profile recruits we have gotten the last few years. For every Lavar Lobdell there's a Rob Konrad or a Tim Green. The fact is we've been bad to mediocre team with a roster primarily consisting of middle of the pack recruits with questionable depth. When 7-6 and a trip to Yankee stadium is considered a major success it is undeniable that we are, at best, a mediocre program, albeit one with some positive momentum. I hope the staff is right and your faith in them is rewarded and we have scooped up some recruits that will be more widely recruited as their senior seasons unfold. All I'm saying is that I don't want only our top few recruits to be Miami, Penn St, Tennesee caliber players (three programs that are not exactly at the height of their powers, either). I want the bulk of them to be that caliber with a few flyers taken on less heralded players to round out the class. That is all-

Statesman1 said:
I hope that's the case Here we go with name dropping the few actual high profile recruits we have gotten the last few years. For every Lavar Lobdell there's a Rob Konrad or a Tim Green. The fact is we've been bad to mediocre team with a roster primarily consisting of middle of the pack recruits with questionable depth. When 7-6 and a trip to Yankee stadium is considered a major success it is undeniable that we are, at best, a mediocre program, albeit one with some positive momentum. I hope the staff is right and your faith in them is rewarded and we have scooped up some recruits that will be more widely recruited as their senior seasons unfold. All I'm saying is that I don't want only our top few recruits to be Miami, Penn St, Tennesee caliber players (three programs that are not exactly at the height of their powers, either). I want the bulk of them to be that caliber with a few flyers taken on less heralded players to round out the class. That is all-

How do you suppose we do that?

I'd suggest SS and co are building as fast as they can. The progress in recruiting was more evident last season - as our offers and commitments were later (allowing for more offers). This season, we have to trust that they are getting the kids that are high on their board. But either way - you can look at bowl results from two seasons ago as proof of something and believe we're destined for mediocrity - or you can wait it out and see how SS recruits pan out...