Class of 2015 - TE/WR Westerband "West" Lindor (MO) Verbal to Brown | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/WR Westerband "West" Lindor (MO) Verbal to Brown

How do you suppose we do that?

I'd suggest SS and co are building as fast as they can. The progress in recruiting was more evident last season - as our offers and commitments were later (allowing for more offers). This season, we have to trust that they are getting the kids that are high on their board. But either way - you can look at bowl results from two seasons ago as proof of something and believe we're destined for mediocrity - or you can wait it out and see how SS recruits pan out...
When did I say we're destined for anything? All I've suggested is that the odds of a recruit panning out are better if other talent evaluators (coaching staffs, not websites or anonymous fans on a board) see similar potential and have offers out to a recruit. Is this not obvious? Our recent history is what it is. We've gone from bottom feeders under he who shall not be named to slightly above average in more recent years. The key to better recruiting, to answer your question, is: winning, upgrading facilities, and connecting with a recruit and his/her support system. Saying we have to trust the coaches is both obvious and ridiculous- I trust the results I see on the field on game day- and I agree with you we have to wait it out and see how SS recruits pan out. Everything else is just an opinion.

When 7-6 and a trip to Yankee stadium is considered a major success it is undeniable that we are, at best, a mediocre program, albeit one with some positive momentum.-
Syracuse has never gone 7-6 with a bowl win in Yankee Stadium. We won the Texas Bowl last year...honest, a "buddy on the Hill" told me.

Syracuse has never gone 7-6 with a bowl win in Yankee Stadium. We won the Texas Bowl last year...honest, a "buddy on the Hill" told me.
No need to get all sarcastic W'boro'Cuse315, if that's your real name, just referring to all the wild success we've been having with under the radar recruits under two regimes. Honestly, if we were in the BE I'd be much happier with our level of recruiting but the way it goes on this board every recruit is to be revered and the coaching staff not to be questioned- they are after all the only ones in the country who know what they're doing apparently. I appreciate the inside scoop some of the guys on the board throw us but I'd like to see a higher % of our recruits be more highly sought after by the better programs. Time to step it up if we're going to build on the momentum of the last year and become a player in the conference and not rely on a foundation of diamonds in the rough. I hope the staff is able to beat the odds and develop these kids or have identified players before they become highly sought after. Only time will tell if these guys can beat the odds.

Statesman1 said:
When did I say we're destined for anything? All I've suggested is that the odds of a recruit panning out are better if other talent evaluators (coaching staffs, not websites or anonymous fans on a board) see similar potential and have offers out to a recruit. Is this not obvious? Our recent history is what it is. We've gone from bottom feeders under he who shall not be named to slightly above average in more recent years. The key to better recruiting, to answer your question, is: winning, upgrading facilities, and connecting with a recruit and his/her support system. Saying we have to trust the coaches is both obvious and ridiculous- I trust the results I see on the field on game day- and I agree with you we have to wait it out and see how SS recruits pan out. Everything else is just an opinion.

Yes. It's obvious.

1. I agree: more high profile offers is normally a good sign.
2. I agree: we judge recruits by results on the field.
3. I agree: everything else just an opinion.

I'm simply adding:
4. Last years class had a lot of guys with quality peer profile schools. We fought off Penn State for Zaire Franklin, for example. This year everything got moved up - so it's harder to tell how many offer a kid would have had otherwise.

Also: McDonald has been quoted as saying the reason were jumping early on kids is to get in on next years class earlier, in the hopes we can build relationships with higher caliber players earlier.

That's proof of at least a plan to answer your doubts. The IPF, and winning - should all help too (as you noted).

Also: McDonald has been quoted as saying the reason were jumping early on kids is to get in on next years class earlier, in the hopes we can build relationships with higher caliber players earlier.

That's proof of at least a plan to answer your doubts. The IPF, and winning - should all help too (as you noted).
I'm glad the staff has a plan and that they are apparently executing on it and we are in agreement on
Yes. It's obvious.

1. I agree: more high profile offers is normally a good sign.
2. I agree: we judge recruits by results on the field.
3. I agree: everything else just an opinion.

I'm simply adding:
4. Last years class had a lot of guys with quality peer profile schools. We fought off Penn State for Zaire Franklin, for example. This year everything got moved up - so it's harder to tell how many offer a kid would have had otherwise.
Fair enough and I agree with you on point #4- it is much harder for fans to assess recruits with a class wrapped up so early. Maybe the Syracuse brand will scare off other recruiters but I doubt it. I hope we will have to fight off other programs as their senior seasons unfold- to me that would be a very positive yardstick if it happens and even better if we can hold on to them when it does. However, lots of schools target early and employ a similar strategy. We are clearly not a selector school so we do probably need to turn over a few more stones than the big boys do-and I'm fine with that. The fact alone that this is a strategy of the staff to move things up doesn't necessarily make it the right one or the wrong one- we don't have enough of a track record with the staff to fairly judge them yet on their ability to turn over those stones relative to the competition. Sometimes a little perspective is helpful, which is often in short supply on a parochial fan forum like this one. We're in a much tougher conference now and we need to step up the recruiting to compete. I don't know about you but I didn't like watching the multiple blowouts last year which illustrated the talent gap we have to overcome. I love that fans get excited over recruiting, I just don't get as excited over a relatively unknown class like this given the lack of data points (in this case competing offers from other schools) given the competition in conference. I find it much more reassuring being in the mix with guys with an offer list more similar to Daiquan Kelly rather than so many relative unknowns. But hey in SS we trust-

ugh. I clicked on the link for this thread thinking there would be good info on a commit that we, a rebuilding team and one that is, maybe, just getting some respect, have just received. Instead ... I don't know what the hell I read.

Can we please keep on topic? Feel free to post in the OT or PM each other.

ORANGEsPHK said:
ugh. I clicked on the link for this thread thinking there would be good info on a commit that we, a rebuilding team and one that is, maybe, just getting some respect, have just received. Instead ... I don't know what the hell I read. Can we please keep on topic? Feel free to post in the OT or PM each other.

Crazy that it was mostly about a rebuilding team and their recruiting methods... I was sticking up for the kid and the thread morphed OT a little. For my part, I apologize.

Crazy that it was mostly about a rebuilding team and their recruiting methods... I was sticking up for the kid and the thread morphed OT a little. For my part, I apologize.

You have no need to apologize to the thread police. If threads only stayed on topic, this place would be one hell of a boring place to interact with people. If they don't like it, they don't have to read it or they can use the ignore feature - that's what it's for. If the mods don't like what you're posting, they'll remove it - it's as simple as that. You weren't insulting recruits or other posters so you have no need to apologize. It's the offseason for both FB and BB, you honestly think there is enough FB content out there right now to keep any discussion going on it's own?

Last edited:
Close
BuNrJWTIYAEeErK.jpg:large

Last edited:
Matt Schneidman‏@matt_schneidman 22m
℅ 2015 TE/WR West Lindor (@WestL33) works to fit the mold of SU's new hybrid tight end, my story: http://bit.ly/1nAyKl3

By Matt SchneidmanAsst. Copy Editor
12 hours ago

As the role of the Syracuse tight end expands, the recruiting specifications for the position do the opposite.
The SU coaching staff has detailed the qualities it looks for to fulfill the tight end’s transforming identity, mainly an athlete with the speed and size to take on a multitude of offensive responsibilities, including blocking out of the back field.
The only tight end or wide receiver that has committed to the Orange’s Class of 2015 thus far — Affton (Mo.) High School senior West Lindor — currently poses a dominant pass-catching and route-running threat. But in order to round out his game to contribute when he arrives at SU next year, he said that his speed and blocking need to be improved in his final high school season.
“If you have a tight end that can block for the run and also take off, the linebackers are going to have to have another thing on their mind besides just stopping the run,” Lindor said. “If a football team knows how to utilize the tight end, it can really benefit them.”
Ever since verbally pledging to the Orange on July 9, Lindor has been aware of the role he’s expected to play. He’s been working to fit that mold, one that running backs coach and Lindor’s main recruiter, DeAndre Smith, has been urging him to become.
Before he heads to Syracuse next summer, Lindor says he’d like to refine his already potent speed, but most notably his pass- and run-blocking abilities.
“I’ve been improving on my blocking because I want to be ready for the next level,” Lindor said. “I need to learn how to block better, especially at the next level with bigger pass-rushers.”
To become even faster, Lindor said that he and his team will begin running sprints with resistance parachutes. He’ll also take longer runs to build up his endurance and lung capacity, vital for anyone hoping to play in Syracuse’s new no-huddle offense.
At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. lists the 6-foot-4.5, 215-pounder as having run a 4.5-second 40-yard dash, which is even better than what SU tight ends coach Bobby Acosta desires for the position.
“If we could get that big kid that could run a 4.6-4.7,” Acosta said, “he could do what the tight ends used to do here, blocking line and also be a pass receiver.”
In the new role, Lindor may also have to line up alongside a tackle to block while the quarterback drops back to pass. Other times, he’ll have to retreat as a fullback and protect in the run game.
Affton offensive tackle Davondre Love will be lining up next to Lindor for a fourth year this fall, and while he too said Lindor’s blocking can improve, he expects him to succeed with the Orange.
“He’s not the best run blocker, but for his position, I think he’s a pretty good run blocker,” Love said. “Tight ends can be some of the most dangerous players. They can help you with the run game and, of course, the passing game.
“I think he’ll be really good for Syracuse.”
Lindor is anxious to assume a role in the Orange’s transformed offense, as his game already partially fits the need for not just a tight end, but also a wide receiver.
Even with the position undergoing major changes, Lindor is excited about how he may be used.
“I would say that the tight end is a very underrated position,” Lindor said. “Most colleges have slowed down on that roll, but I think the tight end position is actually a very important role.”