Class of 2015 - TE/WR Westerband "West" Lindor (MO) Verbal to Brown | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/WR Westerband "West" Lindor (MO) Verbal to Brown

For anyone who can answer this, why are we going after guys at this Y position when it seems like Adly Enoicy is perfect for it? Do we need a Y-type recruit every year now, or is Enoicy going to be put as a TE?

I will say this in response to people saying we as orange fans are contradicting ourselves when we applaud our staff while making fun of rutgers and BC when it comes to early commits with no other p5 offers. There have been plenty of examples of this staff offering kids last year and again this year who had no big time offers and shortly after receiving interest from us, their recruitment took off with bigger name schools offering. Some of which flipped and others who haven't. I don't follow BC and Rutgers like others so I have no idea if this happens to their early commits who have no offers, but it seems to me like there kids continue to go "under the radar" and no one else really offers them. Just going from past experiences, its entirely possible that our staff is just a lot better at finding these kids then these other coaches. I mean there are plenty of examples of Rutgers getting a kid with no big 5 offers who camped at Syracuse and left without an SU offer. That right there should tell you a little something about who we offer compared to them.

For anyone who can answer this, why are we going after guys at this Y position when it seems like Adly Enoicy is perfect for it? Do we need a Y-type recruit every year now, or is Enoicy going to be put as a TE?

Custis is supposedly a Y as well.

First, getting a kid with no offers a few weeks before signing day or after NLI day is quite different from getting a guy with no P5 offers in June/July of the year prior to NLI day.

Second, when was Parkinson anointed as a 4-star can't miss TE/WR/ATH as i must have missed that evaluation. So have all of the services as i don't see that being their analysis either. Posters are making it seem as if we dropped off Chris Clark to take Lindor at this stage. Those posters are very similiar to the ones who said Parkinson was all Orange and was gonna be one of the top recruits of this class when he went Orange (based upon what? a sophomore highlight tape). Parkinson has 3 P5 offers including us (Pitt and Rutgers) and the service academies. Not exactly Devante Davis territory. I'm thinking that these two recruits are a helluva lot more similiar than is being expounded upon by the naysayers (i.e. both players are smart, athletic, hoops players with similiar size and attributes). Through reading this thread there are many differences in opinion on who is better so it can't be that obvious that Parkinson is the better player.

Third, entry into the ACC and a 7-6 season with multiple blow out losses doesn't move us into selector territory as some have suggested. Gonna take a wee bit more time and success. I think we are on an upward trend but we're far from that place (the multiple 4 star players knocking our doors down). A nice season this year will help us to continue to build. A disaster will be just that and knock us another 2 steps back.

Fourth, it is apparent that the staff has a plan to close out a majority of this class early (a good idea for alot of reasons one of which allows for more in season concentration by the coaches on the actual team and gameplanning in a critical year for the program) and are executing upon that plan. Parkinson was given plenty of time to commit and chose not to for whatever reasons. He had visited all of the P5 campuses that have offered. What other information did he need exactly? Maybe, just maybe, we were his plan B (looking for bigger fish later in the cycle) and the coaches were having none of it. In perfect symmetry with the Next Man Up philosophy, the staff moved on and got a similiarly talented player in accordance with their plan. I sincerely don't think they are losing sleep about the loss of Mr. Parkinson.

Lastly, a question to any of those who have been posting that Parkinson was ours and would definitely be Orange. What happened? Can your source tell you? I'm sure if they shared with you that he was #1 on our board and would pledge to Syracuse they certainly could tell you why that changed.

This makes sense to me. Was impressed by Lindor's film, as I was by Parkinson's. They both are good students with offers from excellent schools, both have excellent size, run well, have good hands and the ability to make catches when well covered (which is a big deal to the staff after seeing how will ACC schools execute press coverage).

They needed a TE/Y hybrid. One player wanted in badly, one did not. I know the staff wants players who want to be at Syracuse, who are excited about the prospect of playing here. It can't hurt that we are actively recruiting another player from Lindor's HS either. I liked Parkinson's tape slightly more looking at him as a receiver but Lindor looks like he might be a better blocker. He looked solid there in the limited film available.

I am sure Parkinson was told it was time to make a decision or a decision would be made for him. He chose to wait. Good luck to him...I bet he gets and accepts an offer from UConn, Rutgers or Temple. I hope he does well there.

As will Lindor at Syracuse.
You hit on the key for the Hybrid receiver's Custis, Enoicy, less use in this offense of standard Tight Ends, so receivers must be decent at blocking. The bubble screens, and tosses in the flat need people willing to block.

First, getting a kid with no offers a few weeks before signing day or after NLI day is quite different from getting a guy with no P5 offers in June/July of the year prior to NLI day.

Second, when was Parkinson anointed as a 4-star can't miss TE/WR/ATH as i must have missed that evaluation. So have all of the services as i don't see that being their analysis either. Posters are making it seem as if we dropped off Chris Clark to take Lindor at this stage. Those posters are very similiar to the ones who said Parkinson was all Orange and was gonna be one of the top recruits of this class when he went Orange (based upon what? a sophomore highlight tape). Parkinson has 3 P5 offers including us (Pitt and Rutgers) and the service academies. Not exactly Devante Davis territory. I'm thinking that these two recruits are a helluva lot more similiar than is being expounded upon by the naysayers (i.e. both players are smart, athletic, hoops players with similiar size and attributes). Through reading this thread there are many differences in opinion on who is better so it can't be that obvious that Parkinson is the better player.

Third, entry into the ACC and a 7-6 season with multiple blow out losses doesn't move us into selector territory as some have suggested. Gonna take a wee bit more time and success. I think we are on an upward trend but we're far from that place (the multiple 4 star players knocking our doors down). A nice season this year will help us to continue to build. A disaster will be just that and knock us another 2 steps back.

Fourth, it is apparent that the staff has a plan to close out a majority of this class early (a good idea for alot of reasons one of which allows for more in season concentration by the coaches on the actual team and gameplanning in a critical year for the program) and are executing upon that plan. Parkinson was given plenty of time to commit and chose not to for whatever reasons. He had visited all of the P5 campuses that have offered. What other information did he need exactly? Maybe, just maybe, we were his plan B (looking for bigger fish later in the cycle) and the coaches were having none of it. In perfect symmetry with the Next Man Up philosophy, the staff moved on and got a similiarly talented player in accordance with their plan. I sincerely don't think they are losing sleep about the loss of Mr. Parkinson.

Lastly, a question to any of those who have been posting that Parkinson was ours and would definitely be Orange. What happened? Can your source tell you? I'm sure if they shared with you that he was #1 on our board and would pledge to Syracuse they certainly could tell you why that changed.

We wanted him to commit, he said he wasn't ready to commit. His HC and parents loved the attention. We moved on.

And if you want to call me out, why don't you just man up and call me out on it?

It does matter because much of evaluation has already happened. Of course some may pick up a few more. I look at both talent AND offers they are not mutually exclusive. I've have evaluated SU talent for about 30 yrs. Huge fan.
Recruiting is not a speed sport. There is no rush to fill every last spot in July of the year prior to enrollment. There is a correlation between top team offers and their talent. Just look at the thousands of tape of the top talents and those without offers. There is a difference. I will never blindly be a fan boy of any team without critically analyzing their moves. Some I like, many I don't. Congrats on finding the caps button.

Would have loved to see your thoughts when Jay Bromley committed. Perhaps you would've "agreed with the rest" then, and would have been pretty terribly wrong.

Nobody has anointed Parkinson as a 4 star can't miss. He might be the next Sheehran but at least a couple of our peer schools think enough of him to offer. Lindor is 300 miles from Missouri, LVille, Kansas, Iowa, Iowa St, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Arkansas and Memphis. Did we uncover some hidden gem here that all these other schools have missed on?

Maybe we are his plan B or maybe he wants to take all 5 official visits?

Would have loved to see your thoughts when Jay Bromley committed. Perhaps you would've "agreed with the rest" then, and would have been pretty terribly wrong.

The Jay Bromley's situations are the exception, he also dominated an all-star game and was a man among boys that day. It was pretty apparent the kid was a beast.

The Jay Bromley's situations are the exception, he also dominated an all-star game and was a man among boys that day. It was pretty apparent the kid was a beast.
...and that all-star game occurred months after NSD which proves how much of an inexact science recruiting really is. He almost end-up at Stony Brook.

Parkinson is still in play. Doesn't mean he comes here, but this isn't an either or situation.

I remember folks freaking out because we didn't do a junior day last year. Tough crowd.

After reading this thread, I thought exceptions weren't allowed. Every kid apparently is evaluated by each school in a timely fashion well before NSD and with 100% accuracy.

I don't think I'm dissing Westerband. Count me in the group that thinks he's a bit slow for ACC football, but his size may outweigh that (Not everyone runs greater than a 4.60 in HS or college, by the way, so it's not a big deal right now). My post was explaining why he "hits like a truck" according to the guy I quoted. I was pointing out to the guy that he hits hard, but that only occurs due to other parts of his game being less than ideal, mainly his dangerous tackling technique (Partially his fault, partially his coaches. MOST HS/College/NFL players tackle with head down, why you see so many concussions and neck injuries) and being a single deep safety from his starting position.

I am allowed to break down his highlight film to give insight into his play and use it to respond toother people opinions, am I not? Or just because he chose Syracuse should I say he should be a 5 star recruit with no flaws in his game.

Also, to all the people saying they hope West doesn't read this board, if he suddenly dislikes Syracuse and decides to go elsewhere because a few fans don't appreciate his game like our staff, then either he doesn't trust his talents enough or he truly never wanted Syracuse as his Plan A

Out of my post you plucked out the one comment I made about his defensive game and turned it into a negative. He's not even going to play on that side of the ball so it really doesn't mean squat. You gotta admit you were doing a little cherry picking there.

And of course I noticed he was leading with his head on a few of those tackles but there were still some bone crushers in there where he used solid technique.

Nobody has anointed Parkinson as a 4 star can't miss. He might be the next Sheehran but at least a couple of our peer schools think enough of him to offer. Lindor is 300 miles from Missouri, LVille, Kansas, Iowa, Iowa St, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Arkansas and Memphis. Did we uncover some hidden gem here that all these other schools have missed on?

Maybe we are his plan B or maybe he wants to take all 5 official visits?

Having to greatly exaggerate a counter point in order to make a point? That never happens here. :D

After reading this thread, I thought exceptions weren't allowed. Every kid apparently is evaluated by each school in a timely fashion well before NSD and with 100% accuracy.

And apparently every kid with no other offers is going to be a first round NFL draft pick too because Justin Pugh was. Man this exaggerating is fun!!

The vast majority of the time I fall in line with the "trust the staff" crowd, but in this case, when you're led to believe that the staff is holding out for a particular player for months and then *poof* someone else commits in the spot, it's only natural to have questions.
They had a deadline, probably influenced by the number of commits across the board. And you can reasonably infer that both guys at the Y are viewed as A-list (maybe A-) in this year's grand scheme, but they're not "must haves." I can easily believe that they decided to take a commit and be done with it, rather than spend more effort trying to get guy #1A, who might be marginally "better" than #1B. Expend the saved effort elsewhere, like on preparing for the season, recruiting for next year, or going after whatever blue chip prospects we are holding out for this year, and which the staff knows they have a realistic shot at getting.

Another thing people are overlooking is that the plan might be to get good athletes who need a year or two of S&C and prep, and are all expected to redshirt. We have a lot of linemen in this class, and we are not landing the blue chips on the lines yet. In general (IMO) the rating services don't take future potential into account as much as what they can see on film already. "5-star guy" may be able to contribute immediately as a true freshman, whereas "2-star guy", especially on the OL, might not be ready to contribute until his 3rd year in the program, but by that time he is a solid contributor.

It is not outside believability for the staff to have looked at the roster, and at the incoming class, and decided that they can afford to take some good-looking prospects who are not expected to contribute in year one, or maybe even year two. They can get this done quickly without sacrificing the expected future talent that will be available in the program, and then expend effort on the studs for next year. It sounds like we are already in the ear of a couple.

Maybe some of the kids we've got commitments from are still growing or developing significantly, and the staff knows it. We don't.

It goes back to the question I asked in another thread - if you seriously question what they are doing, you have to come up with a motive for their self-sabotaging actions. What is it?

They had a deadline, probably influenced by the number of commits across the board. And you can reasonably infer that both guys at the Y are viewed as A-list (maybe A-) in this year's grand scheme, but they're not "must haves." I can easily believe that they decided to take a commit and be done with it, rather than spend more effort trying to get guy #1A, who might be marginally "better" than #1B. Expend the saved effort elsewhere, like on preparing for the season, recruiting for next year, or going after whatever blue chip prospects we are holding out for this year, and which the staff knows they have a realistic shot at getting.

Another thing people are overlooking is that the plan might be to get good athletes who need a year or two of S&C and prep, and are all expected to redshirt. We have a lot of linemen in this class, and we are not landing the blue chips on the lines yet. In general (IMO) the rating services don't take future potential into account as much as what they can see on film already. "5-star guy" may be able to contribute immediately as a true freshman, whereas "2-star guy", especially on the OL, might not be ready to contribute until his 3rd year in the program, but by that time he is a solid contributor.

It is not outside believability for the staff to have looked at the roster, and at the incoming class, and decided that they can afford to take some good-looking prospects who are not expected to contribute in year one, or maybe even year two. They can get this done quickly without sacrificing the expected future talent that will be available in the program, and then expend effort on the studs for next year. It sounds like we are already in the ear of a couple.

Maybe some of the kids we've got commitments from are still growing or developing significantly, and the staff knows it. We don't.

It goes back to the question I asked in another thread - if you seriously question what they are doing, you have to come up with a motive for their self-sabotaging actions. What is it?

Like I said in one of the other posts, think a response to ano, if it's a case where they decided that the difference between the two was marginal, then so be it. I get that. Maybe there are much bigger fish in the 2016 class and the marginal difference between these two guys isn't enough for them to want to close the book on this class and put that effort towards bigger recruits in the next class. There could be a lot of reasons why they made the decision to go in this direction. I was just a little puzzled because I thought (and maybe I thought wrong or was led to believe something that wasn't true) that Parkinson was a priority recruit and was someone we'd wait for. If that wasn't the case and he wasn't a priority, then I'm all for the staff putting their resources towards where they can get the biggest return.

And apparently every kid with no other offers is going to be a first round NFL draft pick too because Justin Pugh was. Man this exaggerating is fun!!

Certainly wasn't what I was saying, although I was using sarcasm to illustrate that the certainty people speak with - either way- on this board is pretty silly.

I'll just stop my participation in the argument by welcoming the young man to the program and say that I think he chose wisely in where he'll play football since SU has a recent history of taking high school kids that may have not been highly recruited and turning them into kids with opportunities to play on Sunday.

Certainly wasn't what I was saying, although I was using sarcasm to illustrate that the certainty people speak with - either way- on this board is pretty silly.

I'll just stop my participation in the argument by welcoming the young man to the program and say that I think he chose wisely in where he'll play football since SU has a recent history of taking high school kids that may have not been highly recruited and turning them into kids with opportunities to play on Sunday.

No I agree, it's pretty funny. I wasn't really trying to call you out specifically, but it seems pretty common where someone makes a point by heavily exaggerating the counter point.

No I agree, it's pretty funny. I wasn't really trying to call you out specifically, but it seems pretty common where someone makes a point by heavily exaggerating the counter point.
LOL

Shouldn't you be busy working on your latest Straw Man post?
Damn, I was thinking this was going to be when you acted like a man instead of a little boy and said hey, I'm sorry I was wrong. I should have known better. You are a very lost cause. I bet you have heard that a lot.

Damn, I was thinking this was going to when you acted like a man instead of a little boy and said hey, I'm sorry I was wrong. I should have known better. You are a very lost cause. I bet you have heard that a lot.

I actually take that opinion as a compliment from you. If you thought highly of me, I'd be very worried.