Team USA basketball cancels trip to Senegal due to Ebola virus outbreak (PS: Axe) | Syracusefan.com

Team USA basketball cancels trip to Senegal due to Ebola virus outbreak (PS: Axe)

Not really a no brainer. There have been no cases of Ebola in Senegal. This is an over reaction.

Not really a no brainer. There have been no cases of Ebola in Senegal. This is an over reaction.
Tere are more Ebola patients in the US than in Senegal. Is everyone supposed to avoid Atlanta?

Over reaction? ok pal go live in Senegal and tell me about the experience. Some on here don't fully grasp the term common sense which is the condition in which we use logic and reasoning when developing our thoughts.

Tere are more Ebola patients in the US than in Senegal. Is everyone supposed to avoid Atlanta?

Dude, Atlanta is a WASTELAND! Don't you watch The Walking Dead?!? There are zombies everywhere!! Not even horses are safe! ;)

It's a good point you raise, however, it's still in the "Ebola Neighborhood". And infected people move in and out of countries over there like we do States over here. All it takes is one infected fan to enter Senegal to see the game after caring for a sick family member. Game over. I wasn't for bringing the two aid workers back to the States, but they were given this wonder drug and quarantined.

I think the CDC people know more about this new drug than they are letting on and didn't really want to spill the beans. These two people might be the first human test subjects and part of the guinea pig deal was to bring them home for treatment.

They are saying the outbreak is way worse than being reported and I believe it. Much of the civilian population is not taking careful precautions.

Senegal is directly north of Guinea which is one of the three main countries hit with Ebola. Borders are easy to cross in that part of Africa and it can very easily spread. While there have been no reports, nobody in the world would be surprised if there was a first Senegalese patient reported tomorrow. Not worth the risk. This isn't the flu folks, this is one of the worst infections in history and there isn't anything resembling a cure and the survival rate is 50%. Would you send your kid over there?

As for the guy who compared Senegal to Atlanta, they are keeping the patients in state of the art isolation rooms. Apples and Oranges.

Yes, it's an over reaction. Yes, I would send my children to Senegal, and I would go with them. I was in Ghana last year. I'm working on a fund raiser right now for Sierra Leone. One of the real issues there is the lack of proper medical supplies. Health workers use recycled face masks and gloves.
As for an American basketball team being threatened by ebola in Senegal, the chances are nil. It's just as likely that they will be bitten by piranha in Brazil.

As Dr. Ben Carson said, you have to consider both the odds of contraction and the consequences if infection. In this case the odds of contraction may be small, but not zero, however the consequences of contraction are dire. As you said, they lack even basic medical supplies. The mortality rate is at least 60%. The two Americans in GA and NC are not out of the woods. Fatal relapse is not uncommon. Suppose that the players eat food prepared by an infected food services worker? I salute your volunteer work but I also think that the team made the right decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom