The 3-5-5 proposal must not be close to happening | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The 3-5-5 proposal must not be close to happening

I'm all for the "right" NYC games, but this one at a neutral site makes no sense.

Should be a home and home.

We'll probably agree to disagree on this one, but I can't think of any "right" NYC games.

We've played Penn State and ND there. Those are the two most-popular college football teams in the NYC metro area, hands-down, no question. I've seen years worth of data to back that up. In both cases SU fans were outnumbered 3-to-1. The recruiting benefits, beyond platitudes and talking points, seem to be negligible.

Plus, we originally did it for money and now we don't desperately need that money. And there's no chance MetLife would give us whatever payout they did originally anyway, now that they know we won't bring more than 20K fans to a game there. They might as well do a deal directly with the programs that actually fill the place.

We have a home field, we should play our non-road games there.

SU and UNC in talks???

Brent Axe retweeted
Sherrell McMillan ‏@rellevent21
"We're talking about playing Syracuse some other place than Syracuse or Chapel Hill as a non-conference game." - UNC AD Bubba Cunningham

Sherrell McMillan‏@rellevent21
@BrentAxeMedia he said he spoke with the Syracuse AD last night. Probably in early, very early, talks.

@BrentAxeMedia mentioned New York City and Charlotte as possible venues.
I am okay with playing ACC schools in OOC games, but why not schedule the series at a home and home where the other venue gives us a recruiting advantage?

I am sure UNC would like to play us in NJ, as they recruit that state harder and better than we do. At least you can argue playing a game at MetLife might help us recruiting in NJ a little.

Charlotte? Worst idea ever.

If we do this, I hope we are targeting Miami and Georgia Tech. They make the most sense by a huge margin.

SU and UNC in talks???

Brent Axe retweeted
"We're talking about playing Syracuse some other place than Syracuse or Chapel Hill as a non-conference game." - UNC AD Bubba Cunningham

Sherrell McMillan‏@rellevent21
@BrentAxeMedia he said he spoke with the Syracuse AD last night. Probably in early, very early, talks.

@BrentAxeMedia mentioned New York City and Charlotte as possible venues.

9ea87c6c6fa24821d81f903353ab9e943dc3987874b89e4a2b638b58c247bce4.jpg

So, say Wake plays UNC OOC during the same season that SU plays them as cross-division opponents. To make the math easy, both teams sweep their division games and in their cross-division ones SU loses to Pitt & UNC while Wake beats Pitt & Duke (fyi, they do each play these teams in 2023) and SU beats Wake head to head. UNC also beats Wake OOC. To make it more interesting, SU and Duke make a similar OOC agreement and SU wins.

With the exact same ACC opponents, both teams would actually be 7-2 with SU owning a head to head tie breaker. But officially, SU would have a 6-2 conference record and Wake would go to the championship game with a 7-1 mark (I know - odds of these two teams vying for the division title anytime soon, blah blah blah - insert Teams X & Y instead). Happy with how that turned out?

PhatOrange said:
yankee stadium would be fine.

We should play Army at Yankee Stadium.

For Carolina, we'd bring 20,000 and they'd bring 10,000.

Why does the venue in NYC matter? What makes Yankee Stadium OK, but Metlife not OK?

Sincerely interested in hearing the logic on that.

Scooch said:
Why does the venue in NYC matter? What makes Yankee Stadium OK, but Metlife not OK? Sincerely interested in hearing the logic on that.

Yankee Stadium seats a lot less than MetLife.

MetLife would be half full, at best, for North Carolina.

But I understand your point.

We've been down this road too many times.

Why does the venue in NYC matter? What makes Yankee Stadium OK, but Metlife not OK?

Sincerely interested in hearing the logic on that.
Size of the venue. The Yankees might be able to host back to back weekends in early November. Army vs ?? and Cuse vs UNC. I feel Cuse could draw 30-35k for UNC. In a 47k seat configuration it wouldn't look that bad. BL: I still prefer to play UNC in Chapel Hill and Syracuse.

Size of the venue. The Yankees might be able to host back to back weekends in early November. Army vs ?? and Cuse vs UNC. I feel Cuse could draw 30-35k for UNC. In a 47k seat configuration it wouldn't look that bad. BL: I still prefer to play UNC in Chapel Hill and Syracuse.

If that's it, aesthetics, then I don't see any point in doing it. If it's UNC, I think 40K in the Dome looks a lot better than 20K SU fans in the Bronx. And the novelty of this stuff has worn off. No one is saying "oh wow, a football game in a baseball stadium, let's watch!!!".

But that's just me.

No one is saying "oh wow, a football game in a baseball stadium, let's watch!!!".
And you even have the statistics to back that. :)

And you even have the statistics to back that. :)

Nah, I just make stuff up. Who could possibly have statistics for things like that.

;):bang:

can our spring game count as OOC scheduling? can't do better than .500 if it counts as two games but i'd take it

can our spring game count as OOC scheduling? can't do better than .500 if it counts as two games but i'd take it

I'm not so sure, I bet somehow we'd figure out how to go 0-2, and lose half our starters to injury.

Only problem with YS vs. Metlife is worse tailgating. Put it in the Garden!

We'll probably agree to disagree on this one, but I can't think of any "right" NYC games.

We've played Penn State and ND there. Those are the two most-popular college football teams in the NYC metro area, hands-down, no question. I've seen years worth of data to back that up. In both cases SU fans were outnumbered 3-to-1. The recruiting benefits, beyond platitudes and talking points, seem to be negligible.

Plus, we originally did it for money and now we don't desperately need that money. And there's no chance MetLife would give us whatever payout they did originally anyway, now that they know we won't bring more than 20K fans to a game there. They might as well do a deal directly with the programs that actually fill the place.

We have a home field, we should play our non-road games there.

I wouldn't mind playing ND there again as part of their Shamrock Series.

If that's it, aesthetics, then I don't see any point in doing it. If it's UNC, I think 40K in the Dome looks a lot better than 20K SU fans in the Bronx. And the novelty of this stuff has worn off. No one is saying "oh wow, a football game in a baseball stadium, let's watch!!!".

But that's just me.
Other cons with Yankee Stadium:

1) The way the seats are set up, it is a horrible place to watch a football game. The closest seats at the 50 yard line are around 30 yards from the field and the seats close to the field are in the end zones.

2) Because it apparently has another tenant, it isn't available for use until late October/early November, so the weather is going to be suspect at best, maybe really bad, and it is much harder to find an opponent for an OOC game that late in the season.

That being said, if SU ever plays another regular season game in the NYC area, I hope it is scheduled for late November, and done in conjunction with the basketball team playing a couple of games at MSG. Then you could sell the games together as a package and bring all the SU football and basketball fans together. That would make for a great weekend visit to the city.

You want to claim to be New York's College Team? Set up a weekend like that, and you get some real credibility.

Other cons with Yankee Stadium:

1) The way the seats are set up, it is a horrible place to watch a football game. The closest seats at the 50 yard line are around 30 yards from the field and the seats close to the field are in the end zones.

2) Because it apparently has another tenant, it isn't available for use until late October/early November, so the weather is going to be suspect at best, maybe really bad, and it is much harder to find an opponent for an OOC game that late in the season.

That being said, if SU ever plays another regular season game in the NYC area, I hope it is scheduled for late November, and done in conjunction with the basketball team playing a couple of games at MSG. Then you could sell the games together as a package and bring all the SU football and basketball fans together. That would make for a great weekend visit to the city.

You want to claim to be New York's College Team? Set up a weekend like that, and you get some real credibility.

Tom we could always go to Citi Field...the stadium frees up around October 1st every year guaranteed. :D

BTW Tom...great marketing idea with playing at MSG and YS the same weekend. Bring in an old Big East foe like Providence...SU sets aside 500 tickets for them and sell the other 19k with FB packages.

Tom we could always go to Citi Field...the stadium frees up around October 1st every year guaranteed. :D

BTW Tom...great marketing idea with playing at MSG and YS the same weekend. Bring in an old Big East foe like Providence...SU sets aside 500 tickets for them and sell the other 19k with FB packages.
HEY! you stole my joke!

I was going to say sometimes it is hard to be a Mets fan, but it is always hard to be a Mets fan...

How about SU-Carolina at either Annapolis or West Point?

Harrisburg, PA is about halfway. Has to be some open field we can line up and play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom