The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

Rocco

Watching you.
Can we please combine all of the coaching threads into this one? Every other thread nowadays is about the current turmoil of Shafer's tenure.

Coyle has said that he will make his decision after the season has ended, and Floyd reiterated that today. With that being said, it seems likely that Shafer will not make it to 2016. As for who would be Coyle's hire as the new HC of Cuse Football, here's my short wish list:

Dino Babers - HC, Bowling Green
Matt Campbell - HC, Toledo
Chris Kliesman - HC, North Dakota St
Bryan Harsin - HC, Boise St
Kendall Briles - OC, Baylor (Art's son)
Phil Montgomery - HC, Tulsa
Lincoln Riley - OC, Oklahoma
Jeff Brohm - HC, Western Kentucky
Al Golden
Doug Marrone

No matter what, we need to commit to the football staff with a big $$ increase. I think that will happen once we find the right guy.

Please get us back to the Top 25, Mr. Coyle...

PJ Fleck
PJ Fleck
PJ Fleck

Fleck officially signed a new six-year contract Thursday that will pay him an annual guaranteed salary of $800,000. The 34-year-old will be the highest-paid coach in the Mid-American Conference.

The second-year coach, who is 9-15 at WMU, didn't talk about the financial aspect of the contract, but did say the commitment by the university will allow him and his staff to continue to build the program into the future.

"I think the biggest thing, whether you like me, like the pulse of the football team, of what's being said, all I can tell you is that we are building this program for you to be extremely proud of it day in and day out and not go up and down," Fleck said at a press conference.

"We want you to sit there and say 'Western Michigan is just like Boise State

Can we please combine all of the coaching threads into this one? Every other thread nowadays is about the current turmoil of Shafer's tenure.

Coyle has said that he will make his decision after the season has ended, and Floyd reiterated that today. With that being said, it seems likely that Shafer will not make it to 2016. As for who would be Coyle's hire as the new HC of Cuse Football, here's my short wish list:

Al Golden
Doug Marrone

No matter what, we need to commit to the football staff with a big $$ increase. I think that will happen once we find the right guy.

Don't know about his style but I think you need to add Rod Carey from N. Illinois to the list.

I think Briles isn't seasoned yet, but other than that I think that captures it. My top three would be Campbell, Harsin, and Montgomery.

I've more or less gone over to the dark side, and all I will say about any prospective replacement HC is... previous D-1A HC experience. The only 100% lock requirement for me. I'm not interested in coordinators whose game management, program management, and hiring practices are unknowns. Too much is at stake.

If no D-1A HC's are available, I would consider a D-1AA coach. But that person would have a very high burden to show why he should be considered.

Offense vs. defense, not nearly as much of a concern for me.

For an inclusive thread this looks like a pretty exclusive list.

Al Golden
Doug Marrone

With Harsin being from Boise, I would think that would be nearly impossible to get him to come here.

For an inclusive thread this looks like a pretty exclusive list.

That's just my list... please add your ideal candidates.

Just trying to consolidate all of these threads that turn into the same conversation.

Funny how people love the MAC now.

It's always been the coaching incubation conference. And there are some high-powered offenses in there now.

Don't know about his style but I think you need to add Rod Carey from N. Illinois to the list.

I think Briles isn't seasoned yet, but other than that I think that captures it. My top three would be Campbell, Harsin, and Montgomery.

Anyone up for a scouting trip, the Huskies at the Bulls Wednesday at 8pm.

MACation, can you dig it?

My fear of guys like Montgomery is that they're from nowhere near the northeast, has a mercenary feel to it. Maybe I'm just thinking back to the GROB experience.

I like Campbell a lot.

I notice that the Addazio chatter has virtually silenced.

Al Golden
Doug Marrone

Hey Rocco - Ruhle from Temple is a known developer and regional recruiter but I would think Maryland has inside track. Ruhle makes $1.3 million. Edsall made $2.25 million.

Penn State LB player
OC/QB coach & recruiting coordinator under Golden at Temple
OL coach NY Giants
HC Temple since 2012

Saw team play against #4 ND almost beating and play against SMU passing attack against laying on 60 pts against SMU. I didn't see the talent level any different than us currently. Recruits well in our region. Seems like a spread offense but Millhouse would know better.

Finally on the compensation note, almost all P5 schools pay $2 million minimum.

Very few are under $2M like SU, BC, Kansas, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois - you get what you pay for and you deserve what you get. If SU stays here given the ACC monies, hard to expect much more than 3-5 win seasons with occasional 6-6 and we should accept Shafer and his band's performance.

A top 45 to 60 comp would be $2 - $2.5 million range and more of the private college crowd - Pitt, NCState, Minny, USF, BYU, Arizona, UNC, Duke, Vandy, Miami, Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern, UVA. Some are successful but struggle.

A top 30 to 45 comp would in the $2.5 million to $3 million range - Wisconsin, Wash St, Utah, Cal, Colorado, Vtech, Gtech, WVA, Stanford, Nebraska, Arkansas,

The elite top 30 would be $3.0M and above.

So to get a Ruhle kind of guy we need to be competitive with a minimum of $2.5 million just to get a chance at him versus a Maryland. Or any of these guys as the teams looking for a proven HC have to pay that to play. Anything less we would have less of a chance to get who we really want. $750k for both coordinators just get competent coordinators so on and so forth so we have to pay $7-$8 million by my estimates or an increase of $3-$4 million in incremental costs - or double what we're paying now. Should be a no brainer given the additional ACC income.

Anything less and I would say we are a basketball school if we stay where we are. :mad:

I will keep banging the Todd Monken drum:

- he took over an 0-12 Southern Miss team and in three years went from 1 win, to 3 wins, and now 6 (and counting), so he has proven ability to build a program in the ashes. He has 4 years as an NFL WR coach (in Jacksonville, FLORIDA) and OC experience at Oklahoma State.

Southern Miss is 13th in Total Offense and 17th in yards per play (only 3 years into a total rebuild, remember).

This, right here, is exciting:
Monken came to Southern Miss after serving the previous two seasons as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Oklahoma State. It was his second stint at OSU, after serving as pass game coordinator and wide receivers coach there from 2002-04.

Under Monken during the 2012 season, the Cowboys – which had a true freshman starting quarterback to start the season and a redshirt freshman as the primary backup – ranked among the nation’s top 10 nationally in scoring offense (4th/44.7 ppg), total offense (5th/548.9 ypg) and passing offense (7th/333.4 ypg). OSU will play in the Heart of Dallas Bowl on Jan. 1.

OSU scored more than 50 points 10 times, broke the 60-point mark in five contests, the 70-point mark twice and the 80-point plateau once in just two years with Monken calling the plays.

Also during that span, the Cowboys set single-season records for points scored, touchdowns scored, first downs, pass attempts, pass completions, passing yards, completion percentage, touchdown passes, yards per play and third-down conversions in 2011, in addition to posting six of the top seven single-game passing marks in school history.
http://www.southernmiss.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/todd_monken_832058.html

He is 49 years old is makes $800k.

I'd love to see what he could do with Dungey in the Dome.

That's just my list... please add your ideal candidates.

Just trying to consolidate all of these threads that turn into the same conversation.
I was trying to make a word play joke.

It seems as though I failed.

Much like our fake field goal. Hey oh!

The more I look into it the more I am getting behind PJ Fleck. Only problem is i'm not even sure we could pull him from WMU since he just signed a new deal, and seems committed to the school. Fleck checks a ton of boxes. Runs a high flying offense. Is probably the best recruiter for a G5 school. He routinely has the Bronco's in the top 50 national recruiting rankings, and gets kids signed early. If he's getting kids to commit early to WMU, that tells me the guy is one hell of a recruiter. I also think it's to our benefit that he is only 34. I think that would ensure he would stick around with us for a while. Fleck has also shown he came game plan, and scheme at a high level. WMU has some nice wins, and played Michigan St down to the wire earlier this season. So for now PJ Fleck is my #1 candidate.

1. PJ Fleck
2. Matt Campbell
3. Dino Babers
4. Phil Montgomery
5. Doc Holliday

Jeff Brohm

Petrino protege, current HC, former OC, eastern ties, former QB

Heard today from a really good source of mine who is very well connected in the coaching circles to keep an eye out for Scott Frost oc at Oregon. He said he is number one on the list out of a group of ten coaches.

Yes ten from what he heard. Also said as of now unless something drastic happens in the next few weeks the staff is gone. This same source told me about Marrone before it was official. I know I don't have a lot of posts here but I use to post on scout a lot.

Yes ten from what he heard. Also said as of now unless something drastic happens in the next few weeks the staff is gone. This same source told me about Marrone before it was official. I know I don't have a lot of posts here but I use to post on . . . . . a lot.
Was Jeff Brohm one of the names? ;)