The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 156 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Time to up the Student Activity Fees. Someone needs to pay for those proposed new facilities. Lord knows it won't come from the Football or MBB programs...

Wait, Marrone yelled at players for sleeping on the flight? Whaaaaa?

Yeah he wanted them to stay awake on the flight to Seattle. He believed it would mess their body clocks up or something. Some guys fell asleep. After the loss some Seattle media reported that he was flipping out in the locker room about it, obscene tirade kind of thing. Can't understand why none of his former players defended him when he was being torn apart while going after the Jets job..

Yeah he wanted them to stay awake on the flight to Seattle. He believed it would mess their body clocks up or something. Some guys fell asleep. After the loss some Seattle media reported that he was flipping out in the locker room about it, obscene tirade kind of thing. Can't understand why none of his former players defended him when he was being torn apart while going after the Jets job..
What was his policy on naps in the dorm rooms?

Marrone wasn't meant to coach college kids.

So my prayer for today and tomorrow is for SU to smoke Colgate and for RU to get smoked by UW...
33-7 and 13-48... mostly what you were looking for.
It was 48-3 going into the 4th quarter. I suspect that NJS scored its last 10 points against UW's 3rd & 4th stringers.

33-7 and 13-48... mostly what you were looking for.
It was 48-3 going into the 4th quarter. I suspect that NJS scored its last 10 points against UW's 3rd & 4th stringers.
So you're saying Rutgers won the fourth quarter 10-0.

djorange1989 said:

Yeesh.

Oh you read Toad Hunt's postgame article I guess? ;)

Todderick (what an awesomely BAD name) only writes recruiting articles, which I guess is fortunate for us because he is an awful writer. I've noticed that he has a penchant for writing recruiting stories on low level 2 and 3 star recruits that we aren't even recruiting which tells me that he doesn't really have any real info on the kids we actually are recruiting. I love when you guys take potshots at "Toad" because you are always right, the criticism is valid and that is one thing I will agree with you guys EVERY time.

Hey its a start right.
Washington throttled us, for sure. The one positive to come out of that game, and not for us, is that Peterson was a fantastic choice for WA to hire and he has them playing at a high level. Peterson took an excellent Boise St. team and made them even better. He's a football coach rock star, IMO.
After watching Stanford and Oregon win ugly, USC get boat raced by Bama, UCLA lose to unranked A&M and Wazzu lose to FCS EWS, WA will have a very good playoff shot if they could win out.

BTW, EWS winning at Wazzu is no fluke. EWS is the new Montana in the Big Sky and I despise that because I love my Griz, hence my screen name.

Washington throttled us, for sure. The one positive to come out of that game, and not for us, is that Peterson was a fantastic choice for WA to hire and he has them playing at a high level. Peterson took an excellent Boise St. team and made them even better. He's a football coach rock star, IMO.
After watching Stanford and Oregon win ugly, USC get boat raced by Bama, UCLA lose to unranked A&M and Wazzu lose to FCS EWS, WA will have a very good playoff shot if they could win out.

BTW, EWS winning at Wazzu is no fluke. EWS is the new Montana in the Big Sky and I despise that because I love my Griz, hence my screen name.

I know Stanford didn't look great, but they are breaking in a new qb, and not playing a slouch. They have one of the best players in the country, and one of the best coaches in the country, I still think they win the pac12.

We are all aware of Easter Washingtons Beau Baldwin, a lot of posters on this board had him high on our board short list of replacement coach last fall. You can look i up if you like.

I wont go there but is the Rutgirls fanboard in full meltdown mode?

I scanned the board just looking at the titles of the posts. Saw one that said something along the lines of "the first quarter was terrible, but after that there was plenty to be excited about!" After I saw that, I was out and completely regretted spending those 20 seconds rubber necking.

If I told kids not to fall asleep on a 5 hour plane ride when they were tired, I'd flip the f#ck out too. Eat some peanuts, watch a movie, play "who's the air marshall" game, play "who's the dirtiest/kinkiest flight attendant" game, play "who's the flight attendant most likely to msg your wife/gf if you hook up with her" game. There's a ton of stuff to do on a plane to keep yourself awake. No excuse to fall asleep IMO.

qdawgg said:
If I told kids not to fall asleep on a 5 hour plane ride when they were tired, I'd flip the f#ck out too. Eat some peanuts, watch a movie, play "who's the air marshall" game, play "who's the dirtiest/kinkiest flight attendant" game, play "who's the flight attendant most likely to msg your wife/gf if you hook up with her" game. There's a ton of stuff to do on a plane to keep yourself awake. No excuse to fall asleep IMO.

Maybe he should have flipped out on them while they were in flight to keep them awake?

So I'm not the only one...

This was an extremely bad match-up for Rutgers. Washington is much better than I thought they would be. I'm not saying they are going to be 2004 USC or even win the Pac 12 but they are legit. They had excellent speed at WR (as most Pac 12 teams do) and their QB Browning was dropping dimes. The WR who torched them for 3 TD's, John Ross, sat all last year with meniscus tears. They say he runs a 4.25 40 and while I don't buy that the kid runs a legitimate sub 4.4 and more importantly plays that fast on the field. RU also gave up a punt and kickoff return for TD's which is alarming but correctable. Kicking the FGs late in the game was to get the freshman walk-on placekicker game reps which he sorely needs. At least he made both. UW's DL and front seven as a whole really is as good as advertised and I think they will be able to compete with Stanford in the trenches.

The only positive I saw from RU was their run defense. For a defense that gave up 401 yards on the ground against a 3-9 Maryland team in last year's finale (and another 250 in the air), they held an explosive back in Myles Gaskin in check as UW as a team only rushed for 104 yards and that was with RU trotting out 3 new starting linebackers, all of whom played better than I expected. The 3 deep passing plays they hit for scores, RU was not out of position...the receivers just beat the DB's and Browning threw perfect balls. Their tackling and alignment/fits are much much improved over one off season without playing anyone but themselves. The offense sucks mainly because of the QB situation and while I'm happy RU is getting away from the pro-style offense (finally) this is going to take a couple of years to get going. QB Tylin Oden is supposedly the real deal (he had many good P5 offers) but he's a toothpick and may need a year of S&C before he hits the field.

I'm glad you guys are happy with Babers...I think he was the right fit for you in your conference and with the Dome and Ash is the right fit for us. Rutgers D the past 3 years was worse statistically then even during the Shea Era. I don't know how that's even possible as I witnessed the massacres first hand between 1997 and 1999 but that's why we need Ash to come in and rebuild the culture and the defense, even if he's not the long term solution as head coach. This will be a much bigger tear down and rebuild than I initially thought but I still see 4 wins this year and as long as the team gets better as the year goes on that's fine. But one final note...I don't think he's the "meat head" you make him out to be. A meathead coach would have kept our Schiano/Flood early 1990's offensive football philosophy...pro style run, run, pass, punt and play defense. Going to a read option spread (albeit different than the one you guys run) shows Ash knows he needs to bring modern college offensive football to the Banks and as someone who has watched pathetic offense here for 20 years (save for 2006) I'm happy he made that call. Good luck vs. Ville.

Last edited:
This was an extremely bad match-up for Rutgers. Washington is much better than I thought they would be. I'm not saying they are going to be 2004 USC or even win the Pac 12 but they are legit. They had excellent speed at WR (as most Pac 12 teams do) and their QB Browning was dropping dimes. The WR who torched them for 3 TD's, John Ross, sat all last year with meniscus tears. They say he runs a 4.25 40 and while I don't buy that the kid runs a legitimate sub 4.4 and more importantly plays that fast on the field. RU also gave up a punt and kickoff return for TD's which is alarming but correctable. Kicking the FGs late in the game was to get the freshman walk-on placekicker game reps which he sorely needs. At least he made both. UW's DL and front seven as a whole really is as good as advertised and I think they will be able to compete with Stanford in the trenches.

The only positive I saw from RU was their run defense. For a defense that gave up 401 yards on the ground against a 3-9 Maryland team in last year's finale (and another 250 in the air), they held an explosive back in Myles Gaskin in check as UW as a team only rushed for 104 yards and that was with RU trotting out 3 new starting linebackers, all of whom played better than I expected. The 3 deep passing plays they hit for scores, RU was not out of position...the receivers just beat the DB's and Browning threw perfect balls. Their tackling and alignment/fits are much much improved over one off season without playing anyone but themselves. The offense sucks mainly because of the QB situation and while I'm happy RU is getting away from the pro-style offense (finally) this is going to take a couple of years to get going. QB Tylin Oden is supposedly the real deal (he had many good P5 offers) but he's a toothpick and may need a year of S&C before he hits the field.

I'm glad you guys are happy with Babers...I think he was the right fit for you in your conference and with the Dome and Ash is the right fit for us. Rutgers D the past 3 years was worse statistically then even during the Shea Era. I don't know how that's even possible as I witnessed the massacres first hand between 1997 and 1999 but that's why we need Ash to come in and rebuild the culture and the defense, even if he's not the long term solution as head coach. This will be a much bigger tear down and rebuild than I initially thought but I still see 4 wins this year and as long as the team gets better as the year goes on that's fine. But one final note...I don't think he's the "meat head" you make him out to be. A meathead coach would have kept our Schiano/Flood early 1990's offensive football philosophy...pro style run, run, pass, punt and play defense. Going to a read option spread (albeit different than the one you guys run) shows Ash knows he needs to bring modern college offensive football to the Banks and as someone who has watched pathetic offense here for 20 years (save for 2006) I'm happy he made that call. Good luck vs. Ville.

Your offensive situation very much resembled ours when Shafer brought in George McDonald - A previous wide receiver coach and recruiting coordinator (does that sound familiar?). Shafer was a defensive coach without an offensive identity, brought in a first time offensive coordinator to implement a no-huddle, spread offensive system that he did not have experience running and a QB that couldn't run it. Again, does this sound familiar? Unless you have much more success than we did in implementing it, you're in for a lot of losses and excruciating pain watching the games.