The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Respectfully, these are high school kids, beginners. Rutgers takes stupidity to a whole new level and brings institutional support for asininity, it's not fair to put so much pressure on these kids, especially when they lack the structure and support that is New Jersey's flagship Kawlej. Just an opinion, though...
The joke was that the school is named after the one Rutgers football legend in their storied history.

The joke was that the school is named after the one Rutgers football legend in their storied history.

The irony is amusing but I'm afraid Mr. Robeson was before my time, sorry I didn't catch on about this legend. Actually, I didn't know that Rutgers actually had a football legend (aside from the legendary losing).

The irony is amusing but I'm afraid Mr. Robeson was before my time, sorry I didn't catch on about this legend. Actually, I didn't know that Rutgers actually had a football legend (aside from the legendary losing).
It was a pretty bad joke/somewhat obscure reference.

He actually is more renowned for careers beyond football. One of those who could be called a Renaissance Man.

"I'm gonna light the biggest fire The North has ever seen!" - Mance Rayder

Who knew he was talking about Rutgers? Game of Thrones twist!

We also saw a representation of the welcome that the B1G will give them this fall...

ice-attack.gif

The real reason the Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers -- survival

It may be a decade or more before we know whether Delany's move was right. Success is dependent on Rutgers's overcoming its propensity to self-destruct and Maryland's returning to glory in the two revenue sports. Many expected Texas A&M and Missouri to struggle upon moving from the Big 12 to the SEC; each has already produced a top five football team. "If [Rutgers or Maryland] approximates what Missouri and A&M did, you'd see Big Ten fans really embracing them because just by proxy it makes their program look better," says Zimmermann. "But if those schools don't carry their weight or add value, who cares? The fans aren't getting that $45 million." Delany concedes that Ohio State-Maryland lacks the sizzle of Ohio State-Nebraska, but he's betting the former will help attract a new legion of fans. In the meantime the current fans are like longtime residents in a gentrified neighborhood. Like it or not, change happens.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140618/big-ten-expansion/#ixzz350MCe0Ed

Last edited:
So RU received a commit from a 6'6 270lb lineman yesterday out of Philly. The kid has played 2 years of JV, and has yet to crack the varsity on a team that went 3-7 last year. The Toad for nj.com reports...

Taylor was offered by the Syracuse football program during the 2013 basketball season when a coach from the staff stopped by for a game to watch another two-way player from an opposing team. That is Taylor's only other football offer. St. Peters, Virginia and Delaware St. have shown strong interest for basketball, but have yet to offer.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...nted_to_know_about_rutgers_latest_commit.html

Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

The real reason the Big Ten added Maryland and Rutgers -- survival

It may be a decade or more before we know whether Delany's move was right. Success is dependent on Rutgers's overcoming its propensity to self-destruct and Maryland's returning to glory in the two revenue sports. Many expected Texas A&M and Missouri to struggle upon moving from the Big 12 to the SEC; each has already produced a top five football team. "If [Rutgers or Maryland] approximates what Missouri and A&M did, you'd see Big Ten fans really embracing them because just by proxy it makes their program look better," says Zimmermann. "But if those schools don't carry their weight or add value, who cares? The fans aren't getting that $45 million." Delany concedes that Ohio State-Maryland lacks the sizzle of Ohio State-Nebraska, but he's betting the former will help attract a new legion of fans. In the meantime the current fans are like longtime residents in a gentrified neighborhood. Like it or not, change happens.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140618/big-ten-expansion/#ixzz350MCe0Ed

On what planet do Maryland & Rutgers even remotely have a chance of producing top 5 football teams? Delusional.

I took this from the article:

1) RUTGERS ATHLETIC DIRECTOR IS PR NIGHTMARE.

WOW! In Print! Finally! We already knew this, just nice to see the world is catching on.

2) The bigger problem for Hermann is the state of her department's finances. The university had a deficit of $190 million in athletics from 2004-05 through 2011-12, and a staggering $47 million in 2012-13, which is in part due to a variety of one-time expenses. Rutgers will accumulate another $183 million in deficit by 2022, but buoyed by an expected influx of Big Ten cash, the school believes it will be budget-neutral after that.

Translation: $190MM + $43MM + 183MM = $316MM in the hole by 2022. This assumes that Rutgers actually improves in football and possibly basketball, plus moucho bucks from the BTN of $44MM annual payouts ($33MM is considered realistic, per the article so this estimate could actually mean that Rutgers is down another $110MM!) This appears to be wishful thinking on Hermann's part. The article points out that Season tickets sales are up 25%, but conveniently forget that all those games v. Michigan, OSU and PSU have to be returned the next season! These guys may buy season tickets every year, but will not be watching Rutgers home games unless their team is visiting.

3) Finally, this is only to attain revenue neutrality, not pay back anything!

Rutgers' AD could be in debt of approximately $500MM in less than 10 years

On what planet do Maryland & Rutgers even remotely have a chance of producing top 5 football teams? Delusional.

There is speculation that there are an infinite number of parallel universes. This does make it hypothetically possible for Rutgers and Maryland to produce top 5 teams; though, most scientists agree that based on historical scientific data, this is still an unlikely occurrence. Calling out our NASA connection (SU2NASA): Please verify.

There is speculation that there are an infinite number of parallel universes. This does make it hypothetically possible for Rutgers and Maryland to produce top 5 teams; though, most scientists agree that based on historical scientific data, this is still an unlikely occurrence. Calling out our NASA connection (SU2NASA): Please verify.

The Bizarro World?

So RU received a commit from a 6'6 270lb lineman yesterday out of Philly. The kid has played 2 years of JV, and has yet to crack the varsity on a team that went 3-7 last year. The Toad for nj.com reports...

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...nted_to_know_about_rutgers_latest_commit.html

Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

That kid's name has never been mentioned on the football recruiting board.

SU has really improved the quality of its OL recruits in the last couple of years. I find it incredibly unlikely that they would offer someone like him so early in the recruiting process, especially given it allegedly happened last year, when SU was barely acknowledging that NJ existed for football recruting.

The OL recruits we have are all several levels better than him; he isn't remotely at the same level as the players Syracuse is recruiting.

No offense to Hunt, but he is not a journalist. He is a mouthpiece for Rutgers (and a darned good one as mouthpieces go). If he ever had any credibility, it was lost years ago. This is a sad attempt to make a desperate move by a hapless coaching staff look okay. I find it interesting he picked Syracuse as the fictitious school that also offered their C lister.

SU has really improved the quality of its OL recruits in the last couple of years. I find it incredibly unlikely that they would offer someone like him so early in the recruiting process, especially given it allegedly happened last year, when SU was barely acknowledging that NJ existed for football recruting.

The OL recruits we have are all several levels better than him; he isn't remotely at the same level as the players Syracuse is recruiting.

No offense to Hunt, but he is not a journalist. He is a mouthpiece for Rutgers (and a darned good one as mouthpieces go). If he ever had any credibility, it was lost years ago. This is a sad attempt to make a desperate move by a hapless coaching staff look okay. I find it interesting he picked Syracuse as the fictitious school that also offered their C lister.
weird.

also, this

TH: How did coach Flood respond when you decided to commit to the program?

MT: He told me that a commitment is a commitment and if I'm gonna be committed to them, then they are gonna be committed to me. He told me that once I am committed, I can't continue my recruiting process. And I told him this is where I wanted to be. And he said, 'All right, congratulations.'

Is it me or do their last few OL commits look really poor in terms of physical shape? Clausmann and company seem to have powerful frames and seem to have much better builds ... or is it just me?

...and someone said the kid had a Syracuse offer in the thread about him on their site.