The Backside: Villanova | Syracusefan.com

The Backside: Villanova

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
NM (I know some folks dont prefer my longer posts, and I always found the "NM" OPs to be somewhat amusing being I haven't seen it done elsewhere)

Actually,I have changed my mind and will have to save my first "NM" post for another time. I am still frustrated by the officiating. Fix or not, is it at all possible to have something that will hold refs more accountable? I understand human error, but in cases where it seems incredibly one sided, it would be nice if the officiating got a closer review. Maybe some warnings could be given, and possibly some sort of punitive action if a certain threshold of tolerance were crossed. Maybe the one-sided officiating was entirely chance, but even if that were more likely, I still find it unacceptable. I'm not suggesting the outcome to be altered, but I feel even a slight deterrent could have resulted in a victory for SU. If this question has been answered elsewhere, I reckon you can just revert to the originally intended NM if you prefer. I've never been on a board that used the word "side" nearly as much as this one, so I was paying tribute by mentioning one of my own(well not mine personally, it's a collective thing).

Last edited:
NM (I know some folks dont prefer my longer posts, and I always found the "NM" OPs to be somewhat amusing being I haven't seen it done elsewhere)

Actually,I have changed my mind and will have to save my first "NM" post for another time. I am still frustrated by the officiating. Fix or not, is it at all possible to have something that will hold refs more accountable? I understand human error, but in cases where it seems incredibly one sided, it would be nice if the officiating got a closer review. Maybe some warnings could be given, and possibly some sort of punitive action if a certain threshold of tolerance were crossed. Maybe the one-sided officiating was entirely chance, but even if that were more likely, I still find it unacceptable. I'm not suggesting the outcome to be altered, but I feel even a slight deterrent could have resulted in a victory for SU. If this question has been answered elsewhere, I reckon you can just revert to the originally intended NM if you prefer.

Two things. First every basketball game I've ever been at the losing team blames the refs and the winning team says nothing about the refs. Second, I agree with you that someone needs to making an extensive training tape of video segments showing how all the rules should be correctly called. This way there's more accountability, less ambiguity, and less artistic interpretation by the referees.

Dave85 said:
Two things. First every basketball game I've ever been at the losing team blames the refs and the winning team says nothing about the refs. Second, I agree with you that someone needs to making an extensive training tape of video segments showing how all the rules should be correctly called. This way there's more accountability, less ambiguity, and less artistic interpretation by the referees.

I didn't go to the Nova board but someone here posted a Nova fan expressing relief that the refs helped them

I'm still mad about that game.

Good, I'm glad i am not the only one. Unfortunately, we still go to Cameron later in the year. Plenty of time for us to get jobbed again.

My younger brother is a rabid Duke fan living in Wisconsin. He became a Duke fan in his childhood because at the time my husband was at Duke. So, his affliction can't be helped. But bro texted me yesterday condolences about the Nova game and I mentioned the reffing as part of the sadness. He then said that there is not a single game Duke plays where the opponent's fans don't complain about the reffing. Yet, wasn't that the single greatest thing the Duke fans complained about when we won at the Dome last year? The blindness of the refs who gave the game to us after the "non-block" call?

So, it's universal. I have sat next to fans whose single purpose in attending the games is to scream at the refs. It's the worst thing ever. Luckily, that hasn't happened much up in 309. Mostly beer being spilled.

With todays electronic wizardry, it should be possible to edit the film, removing uniform colors and names. After doing so, see if the same crew would make the same calls. I know it'll never happen, but wouldn't it be interesting.

With todays electronic wizardry, it should be possible to edit the film, removing uniform colors and names. After doing so, see if the same crew would make the same calls. I know it'll never happen, but wouldn't it be interesting.

That would be awesome. Or even better, switch Duke with their opponents!

The bigger problem is all the non-calls and then once the game is lost the refs call a bunch of touch fouls to make the box score look even:

They do have this. Referees get emails with game tape with notes after every game they do to review. The university I worked with was supplied with a replay system from the league office. We have a person who works the review system during each game. He marks every play so it's easier to find questionable situations and after the game the video is compressed and emailed to the league office within 10 minutes after the completion of the game. The refs get to see every game they do by that night or next day and review their performance. I also know from talking with the head of officials for the league ( he comes to many games and sits next to our replay guy) that he emails questionable plays from around the country to keep refs sharp on th rules and how certain plays need to be called.

What gets me is it happens to syracuse more then other teams.
I think back to old games at gtown, nova, marquette. Duke last year. We have been saying it happens to everyone but I dont buy that.

Then there is the spread, and tv value. The refs ref according to the spread, or keep teams in games while they are down by allowing them to lower the sholder, charge and commit offhand pushoffs. It should be reffed fairly reguarless of the score the entire game and its not.

Then there is the other things. The way other teams are allowed to play so physical against us handchecking and bodying. Whenever we make a pass they body and handcheck the guy cutting to the ball, so he has to worry about catching the ball instead of being able to create after doing it. And our centers get whistled for moving way to often, while opponents are bodying our bigs the entire time. Yet Rak and McCullough get whistled for fighting on the block on the offensive end instead.

Wish they would make a rule to emphais to much bodying handchecking off the ball outside of the paint, and another one that states no timeouts while being double teamed.

You can never remove from the job of being a ref, for any sport, or an umpire, the human element of unfairness. No matter how many games they review of themselves, no matter how many games they do, no matter how honest they are projected to be, there will always be that hypocrisy that is human nature. I'm not saying every ref or official is dishonest, but... And for those that are power hungry, being a ref is a great way to be in control of others, especially if that means the opportunity of bending the rules.

So complaining about bad officiating is like pissing into the wind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom