the best player to ever transfer out of SU... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

the best player to ever transfer out of SU...

tbonezone said:
let's try this. numbers and facts. roe shot 47% deep as a jr. cooney 31%. who do you play ?

As a shooter? Right now Roe by a small margin, but Cooney as an overall player.

The % is very deceiving. Roe had the advantage of some GREAT players around him. Nobody really paid a whole lot of attention to him like they do Cooney.

Before you call BS, when Roe transferred to Maryland without all those studs around him and he was the focus as the leading scorer, his 3pt% that season was 31%. Funny how that works.

wasn't going to call BS at all bees . i just love your whimsical thinking that even after 4 years in the program you still see cooney as a 40% 3 pt shooter.

(all evidence to the contrary)

wasn't going to call BS at all bees . i just love your whimsical thinking that even after 4 years in the program you still see cooney as a 40% 3 pt shooter.

With good players around him, but nothing near what Roe had around him, Cooney shot 37.5% for the season ('13-'14). It's somehow ridiculous to think he could improve that slightly if played with the guys Roe did?

matt roe (altho playing significantly fewer minutes in 3 yrs. 1897 vs. 2685 or roughly a 66% ) shot a higher fg%. higher 3 pt%. had more assists per game and more rebounds per game than trevor.yet they both averaged roughly the same ppg.(9.2 vs. 8.9) . you're talking about what mightta been. i'm talking what was.

Last edited:
matt roe (altho playing significantly fewer minutes in 3 yrs. 1897 vs. 2685 or roughly a 66% ) shot a higher fg%. higher 3 pt%. had more assists per game and more rebounds per game than trevor.yet they both averaged roughly the same ppg.(9.2 vs. 8.9) . you're talking about what mightta been. i'm talking what was.

The assist and rebound differences are negligible; however, Cooney averages significantly more steals per game and is clearly the better defender.

Again, Roe had the benefit of not being paid attention to by defenses. He was literally the 5th scoring option on the court. Cooney, on the other hand, played this last year with no proven offensive threats coming into the season. Luckily, Rakeem had a breakout year and Gbinije started playing some basketball near the end of the season. Otherwise, Cooney was it on the offensive end.

Roe's shooting percentages plummeted at Maryland when he had little help around him. This is not a coincidence.

tbonezone said:

Basketball is a team game. A shooter is going to be more effective with a Douglas and Coleman and Owens etc around him vs a Joseph and Roberson.

you got it all wrong, people are just seeing him as 40 percent shooter from his baseline 80 percent.

Basketball is a team game. A shooter is going to be more effective with a Douglas and Coleman and Owens etc around him vs a Joseph and Roberson.

the assumption being that with other quality players around him, Cooney will suddenly get all these open looks and knock them down, when in fact we have several years of evidence that opposition requires only one defender to lock him down. What are they going to do with better players around him? leave him uncovered completely? Theyll still have one guy on him. You are what you shoot.

cooney should probably transfer to either kentucky or a d2 school to realize his full matt roe potential.
you want to factor in a plus factor for his 3 % percentage because of the players around him. ok also let's give roe a bonus for so many less minutes played. and also bump up his rebound and assist numbers cuz sherm and dc are hogging those stats. take away the shots billy owens and stevie t. robbed him of and his scoring average is 20+ per game. your whole "what if" game is nonsense. i'm looking at the truth not speculation.

Last edited:
STEVEHOLT said:
the assumption being that with other quality players around him, Cooney will suddenly get all these open looks and knock them down, when in fact we have several years of evidence that opposition requires only one defender to lock him down. What are they going to do with better players around him? leave him uncovered completely? Theyll still have one guy on him. You are what you shoot.

So how did Roe go to 31%?

When the defense can't afford to put their best defender on him and certainly can't afford to have the defender (best or worst) not play any help defense, yes, Cooney would shoot a better percentage. He was a 37.5% 3pt shooter when he had some talent around him (Ennis, Grant, Fair). He was even a 36% 3pt shooter for the first 2/3 of this dumpster fire of a season. The kid can shoot. He's not one of the greatest shooters, though, who can hit conested jumper after contested jumper. When he's healthy, an open jumper has a really really good change of dropping. When he's forced to shoot 'bad' shots because that's what he'd instructed to do and because nobody else on the team can create offense, then he struggles, just like Matt Roe did when he wasn't playing with a team full of talented players.

What was Matt Roe's reason for transferring out of SU?

there was a rumor at the time which I wont repeat on this board. I actually asked Matt about it one drunken night (i knew him at FM and he often came into the bar I worked at in DC after his transfer) and he neither confirmed or denied, but the look on his face kind of confirmed. PM me if you really want to know what I think I know.

and yet he returns to broadcast syracuse games ? clearly we're not talking barn animals.

there was a rumor at the time which I wont repeat on this board. I actually asked Matt about it one drunken night (i knew him at FM and he often came into the bar I worked at in DC after his transfer) and he neither confirmed or denied, but the look on his face kind of confirmed. PM me if you really want to know what I think I know.

Oh no, Laurie Fine got to him too?

11029734-large.jpg

But Cooney was on a team last year that was 25-0 and #1 in the country and had at 3 future NBA players on it. Maybe not 1989 Cuse talenet but not exactly a Jimmer situation.

But Cooney was on a team last year that was 25-0 and #1 in the country and had at 3 future NBA players on it. Maybe not 1989 Cuse talenet but not exactly a Jimmer situation.

Ask yourself this.

If Cooney was playing on Villanova this year, do you think he shoots 31% from 3?

one last note here . when a player of trevor cooney's ability leads your team and league in minutes played. you are in a world of pain. no tourney. no surprise.

with or without sanctions.

meh.ro4874.jpg

Last edited:

A friend of mine (a teammate of Matt's at FM) was familiar with the rumor...he believed it to be true.

A friend of mine (a teammate of Matt's at FM) was familiar with the rumor...he believed it to be true.

a lot of people did/do, thats why I asked him about it. that and the fact I knew him well enough for him to not react poorly to my inquiry.

I probably know your friend too. feel free to tell him that a random internet person says Hi

a lot of people did/do, thats why I asked him about it. that and the fact I knew him well enough for him to not react poorly to my inquiry.

I probably know your friend too. feel free to tell him that a random internet person says Hi

Ok...over a cocktail or two at the 'ol Cavalry Club. ;);)

Last edited:

He got Preston Shumpert's girlfriend pregnant? So what. Who didn't?

Definitely not worth transferring over!

He got Preston Shumpert's girlfriend pregnant? So what. Who didn't?

Definitely not worth transferring over!

?

Roe played in the late eighties.

Shumpert played in the late 90s and early 2000s

How are you coming up with this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online