The Big Three | Syracusefan.com

The Big Three

SWC75

Bored Historian
The Golf Channel has been doing a great series on Arnold Palmer, his life and career. Very nostalgic and sentimental. Arnie helped to found the network so I can see why they'd honor him but the tone of it is kind of bittersweet and it made me think that perhaps there is something as yet unannounced about Arnie's health that might have been a an additional reason for putting this on now. He's one of the most beloved sports figures ever. He wasn't the greatest of golfers but was exciting and charismatic while at the same time being friendly and open with anyone. He did more to popularize the game than anyone and is responsible for the great financial success modern golfers have enjoyed.

Arnie's 85 now. I remember when he was part of the "Big Three" with Jack Nickluas, (now 75) and Gary Player, (now 79). The are the honorary starters at the Masters who drive off the first tee and then watch the others play. Back in the 60's, they actually had a Golf Show called "The Big Three back in the 60's where they competed against each other.
http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/02/throwback-thursday-big-three-g.html

These clips are from the shows:

I don't know how long they will be with us but it sure has been fun having them.

This is also from the show, (without the silly movie clip at the end):

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom