The Bo Ryan Farewell Tour begins... | Syracusefan.com

The Bo Ryan Farewell Tour begins...

Wisci will be an interesting case when he moves on. They are in a major conference and have had long time success under Ryan. They are more of a fball school and have general ran a pretty specific style and went after a certain type of player for the most part. Ryan seems to want his assistant to get the job but Wisci IMO should be able to pull in a hot commodity coach looking for a major college job if they wanted to.

Here come the people who will criticize Ryan..

Meanwhile, the glasses will be fully on with regards to how many view jimmy B.

Gotta love fans! :)
If loving Jimmy B and hating Bo Ryan makes me a hypocrite, I embrace hypocrisy with open arms, gently caress its cheek, and under the pale moonlight eagerly and unabashedly french kiss the Hell out of it.

Here come the people who will criticize Ryan..

Meanwhile, the glasses will be fully on with regards to how many view jimmy B.

Gotta love fans! :)

I'm pretty sure this isn't directed at me specifically but I've had no problem criticizing JB when warranted. I think he could treat the local media much better , I wouldn't mind if he was a little more flexible with his coaching philosophy and while I think the 9 game suspension is insane, I wish he would be a little stricter with off court issues.

But that being said, this is about Bo and he was a poor sport after the Duke game and after our win in the NCAA tournament. Plus the whole Jarrod Uthoff thing was just crazy how he handled that imho.

Wisci will be an interesting case when he moves on. They are in a major conference and have had long time success under Ryan. They are more of a fball school and have general ran a pretty specific style and went after a certain type of player for the most part. Ryan seems to want his assistant to get the job but Wisci IMO should be able to pull in a hot commodity coach looking for a major college job if they wanted to.

All fair points. However, how is this any different from Syracuse? We have a pretty specific style (2-3 zone) and recruit a certain type of player. I live in Wisconsin and would say it's a little more of a football school, but not by much. Hopkins is a much better alternative than Gard who Bo wants to succeed him. Losing legendary coaches is rarely a seamless transition.

All fair points. However, how is this any different from Syracuse? We have a pretty specific style (2-3 zone) and recruit a certain type of player. I live in Wisconsin and would say it's a little more of a football school, but not by much. Hopkins is a much better alternative than Gard who Bo wants to succeed him. Losing legendary coaches is rarely a seamless transition.

Its not much different which is why I find it interesting especially if they go with the assistant. Will he keep the system and philosophy? Will he tweak it? Will he change it dramatically? If they do not go with the assistant how attractive is that job?

Agreed we are in a better situation as far as our assistant taking over. Its been the long time plan, its been announced for stability, he's been our lead recruiter for ever and he is about as well known and respected as you can be for an assistant coach.

Its not much different which is why I find it interesting especially if they go with the assistant. Will he keep the system and philosophy? Will he tweak it? Will he change it dramatically? If they do not go with the assistant how attractive is that job?

Agreed we are in a better situation as far as our assistant taking over. Its been the long time plan, its been announced for stability, he's been our lead recruiter for ever and he is about as well known and respected as you can be for an assistant coach.

He's also been quietly running the basketball operations side of the house [JB handed off many of those responsibilites years ago to Hop]. Hop's also branched out a bit in terms of being involved in USA basketball, so he isn't entirely just a home grown prospect. I can't imagine an AC being more ready to handle what it takes to run a program than Mike Hopkins.

If loving Jimmy B and hating Bo Ryan makes me a hypocrite, I embrace hypocrisy with open arms, gently caress its cheek, and under the pale moonlight eagerly and unabashedly french kiss the Hell out of it.
That was an image I could have done without. :eek:

I have been known to break things after bad syracuse losses, Bo Ryan can flat out coach.

I used to be like that. But then my dad didn't want to watch games any more with me. I figured if I was so bad that I couldn't spend what should be quality time with my dad doing something we both enjoy, it was time to settle down. I still get into it very intensely, but it's safe to be in the room with me now.

I used to be like that. But then my dad didn't want to watch games any more with me. I figured if I was so bad that I couldn't spend what should be quality time with my dad doing something we both enjoy, it was time to settle down. I still get into it very intensely, but it's safe to be in the room with me now.

I haven't been as bad as I used to, really the only game in the past few years that really got me mad, was the Ohio St game.

I haven't been as bad as I used to, really the only game in the past few years that really got me mad, was the Ohio St game.

Oh I hear you on that one. I'm pretty sure you get a pass on the meltdown rule when the refs totally job us :)

I broke my remote control over my knee after that game somewhere in the middle of Charles Barkley's post game breakdown. Not proud and yes my son was there to see it. He thought it was great.

the last part of the ESPN article on Ryan made me think of JB and how most of us will miss him.

"After next season, Ryan will retire.

His veteran peers in the coaching profession eventually will move on, too.

They'll regret those decisions.

Not the coaches, but the folks around them, who will ask themselves how it all ended so soon."

Could they get Bennett?
That was the guy I thought of. Bennett went to UW-Green Bay thought no Wisconsin. Virginia and Wisconsin are similar jobs I don't think he will go to Wisconsin. He can win a NC at UVA just as likely.

I think they give the job to Ryan's top assistant and give him a chance.

Does anyone else think that Bo Ryan resembles Cornelius (played by Roddy McDowall) from Planet of the Apes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom