The Bo Ryan Farewell Tour begins... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Bo Ryan Farewell Tour begins...

Does anyone else think that Bo Ryan resembles Cornelius (played by Roddy McDowall) from Planet of the Apes?
th

That was the guy I thought of. Bennett went to UW-Green Bay thought no Wisconsin. Virginia and Wisconsin are similar jobs I don't think he will go to Wisconsin. He can win a NC at UVA just as likely.

I think they give the job to Ryan's top assistant and give him a chance.

Right, but his dad coached there.

Could they get Bennett?

Bennett is in his paradise at UVA. Great school, good area, good money, good recruiting. Why would he take his boring basketball to a school that played a different version of boring basketball?

Would Wisconsin fans even want more boring basketball?

All fair points. However, how is this any different from Syracuse? We have a pretty specific style (2-3 zone) and recruit a certain type of player. I live in Wisconsin and would say it's a little more of a football school, but not by much. Hopkins is a much better alternative than Gard who Bo wants to succeed him. Losing legendary coaches is rarely a seamless transition.
We have a somewhat recent National Championship, play in a better basketball conference with higher profile games, better recruiting both by reputation and proximity to fertile recruiting grounds, lots of alumni up and down the eastern seaboard and holding positions at the networks who promote CBB, have light years better practice facilities, play at an iconic location and send players to the NBA regularly.

Also Hopkins is a monster recruiter with Team USA experience and connections. On paper Hop blows away Gard.

That was the guy I thought of. Bennett went to UW-Green Bay thought no Wisconsin. Virginia and Wisconsin are similar jobs I don't think he will go to Wisconsin. He can win a NC at UVA just as likely.

I think they give the job to Ryan's top assistant and give him a chance.
Seems a lateral move, or worse, for Bennett. Unless his pay would see a significant increase, there's little reason to go from UVA to Wisconsin...

Seems a lateral move, or worse, for Bennett. Unless his pay would see a significant increase, there's little reason to go from UVA to Wisconsin...
There can be reasons more important than money. He may love Madison. Who knows?

It will be interesting to see who coaches where in 10 years. There will be no Ryan, Boeheim, Coach K, Roy Williams, Paypal Cal, Bill Self, Pitino. I don't get the hate on Ryan for the title game. Maybe he could be more gracious but I like it when someone feels like they were screwed to just be honest about it and not say some PC crap like A-Rod or Russell Wilson.

It's worse, no where close to lateral in my opinion. Unless he loves Madison or something there is nothing about it that would be better. He is at a school that is richer, nicer, easier to recruit too. It's not even like UVA is obsessed with winning or something so there isn't even the stability angle argument.

It's worse, no where close to lateral in my opinion. Unless he loves Madison or something there is nothing about it that would be better. He is at a school that is richer, nicer, easier to recruit too. It's not even like UVA is obsessed with winning or something so there isn't even the stability angle argument.

Thats a tough call Charlottesville and Madison are two of the nicer towns that you can live in. Wisconsin has more resources.

We have a somewhat recent National Championship, play in a better basketball conference with higher profile games, better recruiting both by reputation and proximity to fertile recruiting grounds, lots of alumni up and down the eastern seaboard and holding positions at the networks who promote CBB, have light years better practice facilities, play at an iconic location and send players to the NBA regularly.

Also Hopkins is a monster recruiter with Team USA experience and connections. On paper Hop blows away Gard.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. I feel that Syracuse is an elite basketball program. However, few people in the Midwest would say the ACC is hands down better than the Big 10 (not saying I agree with this). Badger pros have probably done every bit as well as Syracuse players in the past 10-15 years and you could make the case they've done better. Apparently you don't watch Badger football games away from Camp Randall or saw the Badgers play in LA or the Final Four this past tournament, they travel well and outnumbered the Kentucky fans who are as loyal as any fans in sports. I did say that Syracuse is in a better position than the Badgers with Hopkins. I'm a die hard Cuse fan, but please take off the orange colored glasses when comparing Syracuse to enormous public land grant schools. How can anyone not be nervous when a legendary coach is going to retire soon?

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. I feel that Syracuse is an elite basketball program. However, few people in the Midwest would say the ACC is hands down better than the Big 10 (not saying I agree with this). Badger pros have probably done every bit as well as Syracuse players in the past 10-15 years and you could make the case they've done better. Apparently you don't watch Badger football games away from Camp Randall or saw the Badgers play in LA or the Final Four this past tournament, they travel well and outnumbered the Kentucky fans who are as loyal as any fans in sports. I did say that Syracuse is in a better position than the Badgers with Hopkins. I'm a die hard Cuse fan, but please take off the orange colored glasses when comparing Syracuse to enormous public land grant schools. How can anyone not be nervous when a legendary coach is going to retire soon?
It's not orange colored glasses. I just think its comical to put Syracuse and Wisconsin Basketball on the same level.

It's not orange colored glasses. I just think its comical to put Syracuse and Wisconsin Basketball on the same level.
Wisconsin BB is not on the same level as SU BB.
Even without the NC in 2003. We have been a player in basketball during JB's entire tenure as coach. Wisconsin under Bo Ryan these past 14 years has become a national power but 14 years doesn't make a program. Dick Bennett had his Final Four run in 2000 and outside that Wisconsin BB has been mediocre. Stu Jackson didn't do anything special. Syracuse is a top 15 program all-time Wisconsin is not even a top 25 program all time. No way they are even close to the same level.

Ok, by your rationale Indiana is a far superior program than Syracuse because of their history? I don't think recruits over the last decade automatically consider IU because of their rich history. Much like UK before Calipari. It doesn't take more or long for great programs to fall. I simply stated that losing legendary coaches can make for a tough transition. I don't get what there is to disagree about?

Even without the NC in 2003. We have been a player in basketball during JB's entire tenure as coach. Wisconsin under Bo Ryan these past 14 years has become a national power but 14 years doesn't make a program. Dick Bennett had his Final Four run in 2000 and outside that Wisconsin BB has been mediocre. Stu Jackson didn't do anything special. Syracuse is a top 15 program all-time Wisconsin is not even a top 25 program all time. No way they are even close to the same level.

How many years does it take Alsacs??? 15? You must be the same person as longislandcuse, ha. Simply stating it's a tough situation for both schools. I'm not arguing all-time, I totally agree. However, I don't think many recruits care about that these days. Agree???

Ok, by your rationale Indiana is a far superior program than Syracuse because of their history? I don't think recruits over the last decade automatically consider IU because of their rich history. Much like UK before Calipari. It doesn't take more or long for great programs to fall. I simply stated that losing legendary coaches can make for a tough transition. I don't get what there is to disagree about?
Indiana is a slightly better than Syracuse. Indiana is the best or 2nd best job in the Big Ten for basketball. With recruits in state, fan support, and basketball importance it is a top 10 job.

How many years does it take Alsacs??? 15? You must be the same person as longislandcuse, ha. Simply stating it's a tough situation for both schools. I'm not arguing all-time, I totally agree. However, I don't think many recruits care about that these days. Agree???
It is the history of your program. That matters. It helps programs like Georgetown or Villanova be able to recruit nationally. Your brand increases over time and kids grow up remember seeing teams do well. Wisconsin was a nothing BB program, but Bo Ryan has increased the brand so when he retires kids will remember the back to back Final Fours and they will have moved up the food chain. It doesn't erase history. Kids want to win and get exposure. Wisconsin is not on the same level as SU. Syracuse has the Dome and huge crowds and history.

Indiana is a slightly better than Syracuse. Indiana is the best or 2nd best job in the Big Ten for basketball. With recruits in state, fan support, and basketball importance it is a top 10 job.

I'm sorry, I cannot debate with someone who thinks IU is currently the best job in the Big Ten.

I'm sorry, I cannot debate with someone who thinks IU is currently the best job in the Big Ten.
No skin off my back. You obviously don't actually analyze things objectively. You probably think Wisconsin FB job is better than Michigan FB job due to recent seasons.
Indiana is a great job in college basketball. Just because they have a douchenozzle as HC right now doesn't mean the job isn't anymore special.

He was a great coach but not a gracious loser to say the least.

He would not have been a poor loser if Coach K had not whined at half (people seem to conveniently forget about this), which changed the way the refs called the game in the second half. Ryan merely expressed the same displeasure, just at a different time.

To be fair, Wisconsin did win the NC in 1941 so it is not true UW BB has been mediocre outside of the Dick Bennett's FF run. ;)

I would quibble with the thought that Stu Jackson didn't do anything special at Wisconsin. Prior to his arrival, Wisconsin had not made the NCAA tournament for 47 years. Jackson recruited Rashard Griffith, one of the top prep centers. Griffith gave the Badgers some credibility, more of which was gained when UW finally made the tourney under Jackson. Although the Dick Bennett system was different than what Jackson implemented, Jackson helped make Wisconsin BB more than an afterthought in Wisconsin, which helped Bennett recruit in state.

While Dick Bennett had some success at Wisconsin and the improbably FF run, Bo Ryan created the program the last 14 years. Despite Ryan's success, UW is on a different level than SU. I consider SU a top ten job (maybe top 5) and Wisconsin a top 15 job right now. Whether Wisconsin becomes like Georgetown (great success under a HOF coach, then after he retires, a decent team in which a tournament berth is considered a good season) or like SU in which a tournament run is expected each year.

I would say yes, because they have more national titles, I would say recruits, fan support, is about the same. I think we have better facilities.

He would not have been a poor loser if Coach K had not whined at half (people seem to conveniently forget about this), which changed the way the refs called the game in the second half. Ryan merely expressed the same displeasure, just at a different time.

It wasn't just that game. There were a few others.

How can anyone not be nervous when a legendary coach is going to retire soon?
I don't know that everyone equates longevity and consistency with legendary status. JB was good enough to not get canned for 40 years, which is quite remarkable, but he is a notch below the all-time great college coaches. The bar is not set so high that Hop can't replicate it or exceed it with the right dynamics and support. I think just as many are looking forward to new energy and fresh ideas. Transitions bring nerves, maybe, but I think we'll all be pretty darn excited to see what the new era will bring.

I don't know that everyone equates longevity and consistency with legendary status. JB was good enough to not get canned for 40 years, which is quite remarkable, but he is a notch below the all-time great college coaches. The bar is not set so high that Hop can't replicate it or exceed it with the right dynamics and support. I think just as many are looking forward to new energy and fresh ideas. Transitions bring nerves, maybe, but I think we'll all be pretty darn excited to see what the new era will bring.

I really hope you're wrong that "just as many are looking forward to new energy and fresh ideas." That's an insult to everything Boeheim has done for the program and university. I have total faith in Hop, but yes also some nerves. Also, if being 2nd in all-time in wins (once they're reinstated), winning a title and member of the basketball HOF doesn't get you legendary status I don't know what does. I respect you opinion, but you might as well say you simply don't care for Boeheim. I laughed when you said JB is only good enough not to get canned, that made my day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom