The book club.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by 4evaOrange, Oct 10, 2016.

1. HoustonCuse

HoustonCuse Hall of Fame

Great stories. Thanks for sharing that.

Cheriehoop likes this.
  2. orangefog

orangefog All American

Along with a crusty golf towel?

donniesyracuse likes this.
  3. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes 2016 Iggy Winner

Favorite Books of All Time
    - Dorian Gray
    - The Importance of Being Earnest
    - Fear and Loathing
    - Lord of the Flies
    - Absolutely American

Books read in last 12 months
    - Watchmen - My first graphic novel and I really enjoyed it.
    - Vince Flynn - Mitch Rapp (all) - Highly recommend but I am dork for those books
    - I am Pilgrim - Hayes - I prefer Mitch Rapp and the ridiculousness but it was a fun read
    - Jo Nesbo - Harry Hole (all) - Some are better than others but it's a Norwegian Sherlock Holmes theme
    - For the the Bells Tolls - Hemingway - ehhh up and down, I wouldn't recommend
    - The Bad Guys Won - Pearlman - great baseball book
    - The Heart of Hell - Weiss - as Cheriehook said it's a great book
    - An Officer and a Spy - Harris - didn't enjoy it but it was historical so I forced myself to read the entire book about the Dreyfus affair
    - Mob Rules - Ferrante - interesting comparison between business and the mob
    - The Only Rule is It Has to Work - Lindbergh - I loved this book but I am a baseball dork.
    - Best Team Money Can Buy - A few unbelievable chapters but otherwise a decent baseball book
    - The Arm - Passan - see above. I am a baseball nerd and am into stats and healthcare so this piqued my interest

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    OttoMets, cuseattle, orange79 and 2 others like this.
  4. rocklloyd

rocklloyd All Conference

as noted above, vince flynn (RIP). his ghost writer, Kyle Mills. All of Brad Thor's books (scot Horvath). Nelson Demille (I love John Corey and John Sutter), WEB Griffin. These 4 authors should keep you busy for a long time.

Anything about Navy SEALS.

Mr Peabody, Guy Fawkes and orange79 like this.
  5. SkanSU

SkanSU Starter

Actually I have read all of the DeMille books and must say that I have enjoyed them...until the last 2 John Corey books. Very upsetting without Kate. Truly would give the last 2 only 3 stars

6. SkanSU

SkanSU Starter

Based on what you read I have just completed A.G. Riddle's Atlantis Trilogy (The Atlantis Gene, The Atlantis Plague, The Atlantis World) Pretty good light reading

4evaOrange likes this.
  7. Trueblue25

Trueblue25 Hall of Fame

Reading "Generation Kill" by Evan Wright.

Got a book on Counterinsurgency by David Kilcullen on deck.

8. 4evaOrange

4evaOrange DON'T BAN ME BRO!!!!!

What is the series about ?

9. rocklloyd

rocklloyd All Conference

Completely agree. You can tell he did the last two for the money. Just going through the motions.

Mr Peabody likes this.
  10. SkanSU

SkanSU Starter

70,000 years ago, the human race almost went extinct.
    We survived, but no one knows how.
    Until now.
    The countdown to the next stage of human evolution is about to begin, and humanity might not survive this time.

The Immari are good at keeping secrets. For 2,000 years, they have hidden the truth about human evolution. They have also searched for an ancient enemy--a threat that could wipe out the human race. Now the search is over.

Off the coast of Antarctica, a research vessel discovers a mysterious structure buried deep in an iceberg. It has been there for thousands of years, and something is guarding it. As the Immari rush to execute their plan, a brilliant geneticist makes a discovery that could change everything.

Dr. Kate Warner moved to Jakarta, Indonesia to escape her past. She has yet to recover from what happened to her, but she has made an incredible breakthrough: a cure for autism. Or so she thinks. What she has found is far more dangerous--for her and the entire human race. Her work could be the key to the next stage of human evolution. In the hands of the Immari, it would mean the end of humanity as we know it.

Agent David Vale has spent ten years trying to stop the Immari. Now he has run out of time. His informant is dead. His organization has been infiltrated. His enemy is hunting him. But when David receives a coded message related to the Immari attack, he risks everything to save the one person that can help him solve it: Dr. Kate Warner.

Together, Kate and David must race to unravel a global conspiracy and learn the truth about the Atlantis Gene... and human origins. Their journey takes them to the far corners of the globe and into the secrets of their pasts. The Immari are close on their heels and will stop at nothing to obtain the research Kate has done and force the next stage of human evolution--even if it means killing 99.9% of the world population. David and Kate can stop them... if they can trust each other. And stay alive.

Then the other 2 take us through the plague and its cure and finally the last book takes in the origins of Atlantis

11. Mr Peabody

Mr Peabody Scout Team

Some of my favorites:
    I Know This Much is True - Wally Lamb
    Middles e x - Jeff Eugenides
    The Alienist - Caleb Carr
    The Education of Little Tree - Asa Earl Carter (great gift book)
    Watership Down - Richard Adams

rocklloyd likes this.
  12. FAL

FAL All American

Any book by Michael Connelly. Author of "The Lincoln Lawyer" and the Bosch detective novels. First rate.

13. donniesyracuse

donniesyracuse All Conference

A bunch of music memoirs relating to some of my favorite artists have come out or are coming out this year.

Peter Hook: Substance: Inside New Order

Johnny Marr: Set the Boy Free: The Autobiography

Laurence Tolhurst (The Cure): Cured: The Tale of Two Imaginary Boys

Brian Wilson: I Am Brian Wilson: A Memoir

14. upperdeck

upperdeck Hall of Fame

they have done a nice job with getting this into a netflix series with "The man in Black" from lost.

15. 4evaOrange

Just finished World War Z. Now I got a bit of a dilemma on hand...what book to start next?
    Blackhouse - Stephen King and Peter straub
    Or
    Harry Potter and the cursed child.?

Asking for a friend...

16. sutomcat

sutomcat 2016 Iggy Winner Staff Member

I am a big fan of McCullough. Any of his books are good reads if you are into history. I especially liked the ones about the building of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Panama Canal, but I will read anything he comes up with.

If you like golf, I recommend you check out Mark Frost. His book "The Greatest Game Ever Played" was made into a movie. It is about the early days of golf in America, and focuses on the absolute dominance of the Brits in the game. Talks a lot about the great early golfers. It is a lot better than the movie. "The Grand Slam" is a great study of Bobby Jones and his life on and off the golf course.
    "The Match: The Day Golf Changed Forever" is set around 1956 and focuses more on the issues of amateurism in golf, with in depth looks at some of the great golfers of the era, how some great courses came to be, etc. If you like this sort of thing, check it out.

If you like science, I also recommend a few books by Sam Kean. Check out "The Disappearing Spoon", "The Violinist's Thumb", and "The Tale of the Dueling Neurosurgeons" if you want to leam more about the elements in the periodic table/how they were discovered and how they are used, the human genetic code and how it developed over time, and how the human brain works.

orange79 likes this.
  17. Marsh01

Marsh01 Living Legend

Huge David Baldacci fan. Literally when a book comes out I read it cover to cover in one sitting.

Cheriehoop likes this.
  18. Jeremy L.

Jeremy L. Starter

Currently reading Tim Tebow's book Shaken. If you appreciate a religious spin on books, I highly recommend Shaken.

19. Cheriehoop

Cheriehoop Moderator Staff Member

If you like medicine and the quandries that exist surrounding end of life decisions, health service decisions etc, read Atul Gawande MD. He has excellent and every readable books like Complications, Checklist Manifesto, Being Mortal: What Matters in the End etc.

20. 4evaOrange

Went with cursed child...