The "Carolina Way" | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The "Carolina Way"

3100 student. and 1500 athletes.

vs Fab Melo and James Southerland.

This steering was most prevalent among the counselors for the revenue sports of football and men's basketball. While some of these counselors knew only that these were easy classes, others were fully aware that there was no faculty involvement and that Crowder was managing the whole course and grading the papers. Those counselors saw these paper classes as "GPA boosters" and steered players into them largely in order to help them maintain their GPAs and their eligibility under the NCAA and Chapel Hill eligibility rules. At least two of those counselors went so far as to suggest what grades Crowder should award to their players who were taking her paper classes.

In the case of 329 students, the grade they received in a paper class provided the "GPA boost" that either kept or pushed their GPA above the 2.0 level for a semester. For 81 of those students, that GPA boost was the margin that gave them the 2.0 GPA that allowed them to graduate.

THREE HUNDRED TWENTY NINE!!! HOLY ING GOLD MINE

CusefanATL said:
In the case of 329 students, the grade they received in a paper class provided the "GPA boost" that either kept or pushed their GPA above the 2.0 level for a semester. For 81 of those students, that GPA boost was the margin that gave them the 2.0 GPA that allowed them to graduate. THREE HUNDRED TWENTY NINE!!! HOLY ING GOLD MINE

And 2 football coaches admitted they knew what these courses were for and one even said the AD told him it was their way of keeping athletes eligible.

:eat popcorn:

I've seen delusion and people talking through their teams' colored glasses...but this?

This is that next level shhh

spdl1uY-1-628x347.jpg

easy must make it legal and fair.

but yet Jim Boeheim didnt call Mr and Mrs Devendorf to tell them their son failed a drug test for marijuana!

Not a real paper and has already been debunked. This is the misinformation that we have been fighting. Here's a link:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-b.s.-viral-news-stories-that-fooled-your-friends-part-20/

In the case of 329 students, the grade they received in a paper class provided the "GPA boost" that either kept or pushed their GPA above the 2.0 level for a semester. For 81 of those students, that GPA boost was the margin that gave them the 2.0 GPA that allowed them to graduate.

THREE HUNDRED TWENTY NINE!!! HOLY . . . . . . . GOLD MINE

Pushing students towards easy courses is not against NCAA rules. It happens literally every single day at every single college.

They were easy? From the report:

“These were classes that involved no interaction with a faculty member, required no class attendance or course work other than a single paper, and resulted in consistently high grades that Crowder awarded without reading the papers or otherwise evaluating their true quality.”

That's easy? Easy implies someone at some point was doing an actual evaluation of the papers and a grade was awarded based upon this easy course. If you're not reading the papers at all though - well, that's just fraud (cheating).

The only person that knew that Crowder wasn't reading the papers is Crowder. Academics really dropped the ball. The athletic advising staff, as well as the university advising staff, knew the courses were easy, so when students came and said, "I need to boost my GPA, what classes should I take?", they pushed them towards the AFAM course. The NCAA already stated over a year ago that since the courses did involve work, that since the athletes did their own work, and that since the courses were available to all students, it was not an NCAA issue. They have since reopened the investigation, but it will be difficult for them reconcile any new position with their earlier position.

And 2 football coaches admitted they knew what these courses were for and one even said the AD told him it was their way of keeping athletes eligible.

Yup...easy classes to boost GPAs. Not an NCAA violation.

This is not hard. UNC athletic staff guided student-athletes to courses they knew were not credible in order to keep them academically eligible to compete. This provided them a competitive advantage on a massive scale - certainly on a much greater scale than anything close to what happened with Cuse.

Yup...easy classes to boost GPAs. Not an NCAA violation.

Easy classes where there is 0 interaction with a professor and your institution acknowledges they are to keep athletes eligible are.

The only person that knew that Crowder wasn't reading the papers is Crowder. Academics really dropped the ball. The athletic advising staff, as well as the university advising staff, knew the courses were easy, so when students came and said, "I need to boost my GPA, what classes should I take?", they pushed them towards the AFAM course. The NCAA already stated over a year ago that since the courses did involve work, that since the athletes did their own work, and that since the courses were available to all students, it was not an NCAA issue. They have since reopened the investigation, but it will be difficult for them reconcile any new position with their earlier position.

and the only people who didnt know fab didnt write the paper was kissel and the secretary.

the only difference is that ours only happened once. Yours happened with 1500 athletes and another 1600 students.

3,100 total. 25 yr postseason ban would be making off pretty good IMO.

Not a real paper and has already been debunked. This is the misinformation that we have been fighting. Here's a link:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-b.s.-viral-news-stories-that-fooled-your-friends-part-20/

do you have any other documentation stating it was false? there were big news outlets that reported this and none seem to have back tracked. And a quick google search doesn't yield any other outlets claiming it to be false.

and not to say i am right here, but i need more than www.cracked.com to prove to me the paper wasn't real. call me crazy.

Right, they pushed the players to easy classes that still required work. Nothing about this is an NCAA violation, as the NCAA demonstrated in their rulings on Duke, Stanford, Michigan, and Auburn. Repeating this statement won't magically turn it into a violation.

UNC perpetuated and institutionalized academic fraud created for the explicit purposes of keeping athletes eligible.

While it is clear that what UNC did may be the most egregious violation of ethics maybe in the history of the NCAA... I have zero confidence the NCAA will penalize them to the extent they deserve or even to the extent that they penalized SU for much less serious findings.

Donna Ditota today: "The NCAA exacted its own retribution last week."

Here's a theory: the NCAA is gearing up for a big fight over academics vs. athletics, (the freshman eligibility thing is part of it). It's a dangerous thing for them to do because the top athletic schools might decide to break off and form their own organization. But maybe the UNC revelations forced their hand. They knew they'd loose all credibility as a governing body if they didn't do something about this and they knew that itf they did something about this they'd also have to go after academic fraud elsewhere. Maybe that's why they have 76 cases being investigated and aren't pulling any punches. If they can put the schools on the defensive about academics, they may be hesitant to break away or else their own credibility as centers of learning could be lost. This may all be a battle for credibility. And SU got caught up in it, thanks to Fab Melo and Mr. Kissell.

You've convinced me. It's a travesty that academics took advantage of athletes like this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom