The Court of Appeals has ruled in favor of Bobby Davis and Mike Lang, reinstating their lawsuit | Syracusefan.com

The Court of Appeals has ruled in favor of Bobby Davis and Mike Lang, reinstating their lawsuit

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
The hits just keep on coming...

Actually, I'm not that concerned about this dopey case being reinstated. I'm just pissed off about yet another thing to heap on the negative publicity tire fire we're about to light.

To the counselors on the forum, you'd have to believe a near-unanimous decision is not a great sign, no?
Eventually you'd think this case gets thrown out or settled, amirite?
Question is how far does JB want to go w/ this thing- especially if he's operating strictly on principle.
Might be best to just give the 2 mamalukes some cheddar and move on.

State's highest court reinstates slander suit against Syracuse University, Boeheim (PS)

"The context further suggests to the reader that Boeheim spoke with authority, and that his statements were based on facts," Rivera wrote. "Boeheim was a well-respected, exalted member of the university and the Syracuse community-at-large, and as head coach of the team appeared well placed to have information about the charges."

You mean Boeheim's statements are based on the fact that Davis is lying?

The hits just keep on coming...

Actually, I'm not that concerned about this dopey case being reinstated. I'm just pissed off about yet another thing to heap on the negative publicity tire fire we're about to light.

I agree with RF. In the long run, I don't think this will turn into that big of a deal. But seriously - right after the NCAA crap rears its ugly head again? One mess at a time for crying out loud!

State's highest court reinstates slander suit against Syracuse University, Boeheim (PS)

"The context further suggests to the reader that Boeheim spoke with authority, and that his statements were based on facts," Rivera wrote. "Boeheim was a well-respected, exalted member of the university and the Syracuse community-at-large, and as head coach of the team appeared well placed to have information about the charges."

So .. now you can't express an opinion if you're an "exalted" member of the community? Like, "this case has no merit", or "the plaintiffs are just after money" (which is true, since they're suing for damages). What a bunch of garbage.

At least the "decision" didn't get handed down on the eve of the NCAA's. I'm sure the news people are giddy over something salacious to blog about.

Time for this thread to get redirected to the old Davis/Lang bin.

Ridiculo. How exactly have these 2 losers been damaged? Maybe about $1.50. JB has been entirely too nice in conducting this. I'm sure a good private investigator could uncover a lot of dirt (ie: illegal activity these two have been involved in over a period of time). Take the gloves off.

Yeah, I have to be reading that wrong, but that's what I'm coming up with too.

So, because Boeheim may or may not have been in a position to know the facts about them being immoral liars, he's not allowed to speak his mind? Because if somebody thinks he's speaking factually, rather than providing an opinion, that's slander?

What the heck was he supposed to do? Preface everything with "In my opinion..."

smh

Unanimous nature of the Court of Appeals decision means nothing with regard to the merits of the claim, just that the Court agreed unanimously that the complaint set forth a legally recognizable claim and the plaintiffs should have had an opportunity to prove the allegations in their complaint in a court of law, rather than having the claim tossed. It doesn't mean they'll be able to prove those allegations, expresses no opinion on the strength of the claim, doesn't indicate whether they will be found to have suffered damages or suggest that an award will be entered against JB or the University.

Jimmy B: "They're lying because they want money."
Idiots: "That's BS. We're suing you for money!"

...I don't get it...

So... Jimmy B effectively defamed them in such fashion that they will have diminished earning power. Okay... let's see... what would you figure their earnings potential is?... OK.. let's cut a check for $221.30 and throw in the gloves that Michael Carter Williams was allegedly stealing and call it even. Oh yea... we might be able to give them a UConn Husky laptop as a bonus.

I would think Fear of depositions will get this case settled before trial.

The ruling is a cash cow for Davis and Lang.
This. ^^^
JB should just declare "victory" as in: "I just wanna move on" and put this thing to re$t. Its well past its sell-by date, IMO.

I would think Fear of depositions will get this case settled before trial.

The ruling is a cash cow for Davis and Lang.

maybe eventually, after the ncaa sanctions are resolved, but settling while that is still hanging over the program would be disastrous from a PR standpoint. just gotta have the lawyers slow walk this thing until a more opportune moment arrives.

This. ^^^
JB should just declare "victory" as in: "I just wanna move on" and put this thing to re$t. Its well past its sell-by date, IMO.

If these two bozos are only concerned with "justice," and are not all about getting paid, why doesn't JB agree to settle but all settlement money will go directly to a shelter for abused kids? I'm sure these two charlatans will go along with that, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom