The Coyle decision | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

The Coyle decision

Crusty said:
It has been done before fairly often, but normally I would say what is the point of doing it with one game left. In this situation it may be cruel to let Shafer swing in the wind when it can be ended now. I would like to see it done just to give Shafer some relief.

It can be argued either way but it may be nice to announce it this week, give Scott a last week of practice with his team, let them try to win for him on Saturday, and let the diehards who attend given him an ovation as he walks off the field for the last time.

Shafer's a good guy who's given his blood, sweat and tears to SU. He just hasn't won games. It happens. Might be nice for the very small crowd in attendance next week to let him know his effort was appreciated, even if the results were subpar.

Allen/Hunt 2013 weren't that much different from Paulus/Nassib 2009.

People take Nassib's development for granted. That was coaching. The talent of Hunt should have been sufficient to be competitive. SS wasn't left with anything worse than DM inherited. If the talent is equal I would say that would suffice. SS inherited a decent roster 6-7 win roster.

Are you really trying to compare Hunt's aptitude to Nassib's?

I awaken to 3 sources that he is gone. Will be announced tomorrow officially.
This makes sense from the previously mentioned view that you don't want some idiot fans booing Shafer. Going public this week should prevent that.

I've noticed these coaching job websites usually get the info first hand as its usually coaches going to the head hunters and asking them to find them another job. When a number of coaches from one school are turning in their resume's it kinda paints a picture.

Gotta have some Eastern or Midwest names on this next search ( which I'm sure there probably are).
I have a feeling it is going to be Scott Frost or Mike Sanford. Have no basis to believe this other than these two names don't seem to go away and Coyle does not seem to have the HC hangups we do. He does seem to favor offensive minded coaches, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

I'm guessing they do it tomorrow because in case he beats BC they don't want him to claim momentum going into the off season
What's the over under going to be on this game? Like 8.5?

I have a feeling it is going to be Scott Frost or Mike Sanford. Have no basis to believe this other than these two names don't seem to go away and Coyle does not seem to have the HC hangups we do. He does seem to favor offensive minded coaches, so we got that going for us, which is nice.
Not excited about Sanford-At least Frost brings the Oregon Cache. Not sure what either of them brings that Babers doesn't and Babers has proven HC success

However, Harsin was hired (theoretically) over Frost supposedly because Harsin was a better fit for the school. I'm not saying that I think it matters but if "fit for the school" matters for Coyle, does Frost "fit" SU? That to me will be the biggest factor of whether he ends up being in the running. Assuming of course he's interested.

He would be crazy not to be though. Lots of new stuff built and being built, HC money, talent on the roster, a dome, beer until halftime, and he'll be given the opportunity to prove if he can be a HC.

The SU job is a quality job for anyone looking to be a HC....

I don't know any other information about the last game, etc. Just that he was let go. I think Dungey was the nail in the coffin. Going to guess they have had feelers out for a while. In Coyle I trust...

He would be crazy not to be though. Lots of new stuff built and being built, HC money, talent on the roster, a dome, beer until halftime, and he'll be given the opportunity to prove if he can be a HC.

The SU job is a quality job for anyone looking to be a HC...
This is the right attitude.

I don't know about Sanford, Crusty. He's almost as old as us!;):p

I'm too lazy (sorry) to read back through. Jeff Stoutland? I know he's been mentioned before. Should be on the list at least.

What's the over under going to be on this game? Like 8.5?

8.5 plays by our offense? I will take the under. I will also bet our defense makes whomever the hell is BCs QB look like Matt Ryan

First one to score wins.
What's the record for punts in a game by both teams? I feel like we might have a shot at sharing that with BC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom