The Cuban "King Kong" | Syracusefan.com

The Cuban "King Kong"

victor

All Conference
I watched Cuban heavyweight fighter Luis Ortiz who has been nicknamed by Cubans "King Kong" and happens to be a lefty knock out his American opponent last night with a right hook. He is the real deal. In the ring he is a man with bad intentions.

I watched the Wladamir Klischko Tyson Fury fight and it was two clowns running around the ring holding and pawing at one another. They better find them a pair of bicycles when they fight Luis. He will put them to sleep.

I watched Cuban heavyweight fighter Luis Ortiz who has been nicknamed by Cubans "King Kong" and happens to be a lefty knock out his American opponent last night with a right hook. He is the real deal. In the ring he is a man with bad intentions.

I watched the Wladamir Klischko Tyson Fury fight and it was two clowns running around the ring holding and pawing at one another. They better find them a pair of bicycles when they fight Luis. He will put them to sleep.

I long for the days when boxing mattered. Back in the 70s and 80s there were so many great fights. Not a big fan but I'd rather watch UFC than boxing. Never thought I'd say that.

I long for the days when boxing mattered. Back in the 70s and 80s there were so many great fights. Not a big fan but I'd rather watch UFC than boxing. Never thought I'd say that.

I like the UFC, but I still prefer boxing. One problem is that in recent years with the exception of Lennox Louis, the heavyweight division has been dominated by a bunch of European stiffs. All the great American heavyweights are currently playing tight end in football or maybe power forward in basketball.

I watched that fight also. I mean, Ortiz has a heavy punch no doubt, but lacks athleticism. Jennings had him a couple of times. When Jennings crowded his space, Ortiz got warned for pushing off because he couldn't get a punch off. He could give some fighters trouble but I don't see him with much time at the top. Would love to see him fight Wilder.

I watched that fight also. I mean, Ortiz has a heavy punch no doubt, but lacks athleticism. Jennings had him a couple of times. When Jennings crowded his space, Ortiz got warned for pushing off because he couldn't get a punch off. He could give some fighters trouble but I don't see him with much time at the top. Would love to see him fight Wilder.

Ali used to push off as well in order to get punching room. Ortiz nailed Jennings with that right uppercut when they were in tight. I though he moved around the ring pretty well and showed a good jab. In order to be a heavy weight champ you have to be able to take a good punch which fighters like Ali certainly did. I just love the way he got in there and love to mix it up and that heavy punch makes him very dangerous.

Ali used to push off as well in order to get punching room. Ortiz nailed Jennings with that right uppercut when they were in tight. I though he moved around the ring pretty well and showed a good jab. In order to be a heavy weight champ you have to be able to take a good punch which fighters like Ali certainly did. I just love the way he got in there and love to mix it up and that heavy punch makes him very dangerous.
I was more saying he pushed off because he's one dimensional, imo. Yeah he got a few shots off inside, but most of the time that's where Jennings had the advantage and tagged him. Jennings is a perfect example of being able to take a punch. Like I said, I hope Wilder gets a shot at Ortiz. Wilder has maybe the hardest jab at heavy weight I can remember.

I was more saying he pushed off because he's one dimensional, imo. Yeah he got a few shots off inside, but most of the time that's where Jennings had the advantage and tagged him. Jennings is a perfect example of being able to take a punch. Like I said, I hope Wilder gets a shot at Ortiz. Wilder has maybe the hardest jab at heavy weight I can remember.

Did you ever see George Foreman's jab?...Too young to have seen him box?

Absolutely I did. I'm not too young, I've seen a lot of boxing. I'm a 70's era kid. Have you seen Wilder''s jab? I stand by the jab comment.

Last edited:
Absolutely I did!. I'm not too young for anyone on here to have scene them box. Have you seen Wilder''s jab? 'm a 70's era kid. I stand by the jab comment.

No I haven't. Not doubting your take. Must be a heck of a jab.

No I haven't. Not doubting your take. Must be a heck of a jab.
The one thing I try not to do is get caught up with seeing boxers now and forgetting the past. So I'm going to try and go back and watch some old Foreman fights. I watched a couple Jack Dempsey fights the other day. I have a jail broken Amazon fire stick, and it has a vintage fight channel on there. It's a real game changer.

Absolutely I did. I'm not too young, I've seen a lot of boxing. I'm a 70's era kid. Have you seen Wilder''s jab? I stand by the jab comment.
Love that there's some place to talk boxing.

Wilder's jab is very good. But it's not Foreman's nor Larry Holmes'.
They didn't just snap it.
They had major bodyweight behind it.

Ortiz looks like the real deal.
He can box and he can punch.
It's a testimony to Bryant Jennings that he could take those last 3 uppercuts and still get to his feet.
Ortiz-Wilder is good fight...winner should get shot at Klitschko-Fury rematch winner.
Jennings-Wilder would be interesting, too...although no upside for Wilder to take it.

Good to see some competition back at heavyweight.
Ortiz-Bryant was best heavyweight fight I've seen since Vitali Klitschko-Lennox Lewis...and that was 12 years ago.

My best recollection of Foreman was the first fight with Joe Frazier when he hit him so hard that he literally lifted him of the ground. Foreman was destroying every body including Ken Norton who broke Ali's jaw. Ali simply psyched him out in the rumble in the jungle. Believe Foreman had one more fight after that and then became a preacher. Would have love to have seen a rematch between Foreman and Ali.

As great as Ali was after he came back from being stripped of his title, he was not the same fighter. The Ali who fought Sonny Liston was nearly unhitable.

My The Ali who fought Sonny Liston was nearly unhitable.
I wouldn't have said that to Henry Cooper.
Ali (then still Cassius Clay) was fortunate that he got clocked with "'Enry's 'Ammer" at the very end of the 4th round in their first fight in 1963:

Ali (then still Cassius Clay) was fortunate that he got clocked with "'Enry's 'Ammer" at the very end of the 4th round in their first fight in 1963:

You had to go find that you rascal. I don't think Ali took him seriously up until that punch.

Watched the entire fight courtesy of your video. It was action packed and Cooper got in some good shots. It's a shame he had so much scar tissue that the fight got stopped due to the cut eye. More action in one round in that fight than in a complete fight involving W. Klishko.

Watched the entire fight courtesy of your video. It was action packed and Cooper got in some good shots. It's a shame he had so much scar tissue that the fight got stopped due to the cut eye. More action in one round in that fight than in a complete fight involving W. Klishko.
You're not kidding.
Henry Cooper was a tough customer.
Fast hands...good jab and huge left hook.
But as you say...his face was a mess.
He could have won a bleeding contest with Chuck Wepner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom