The defense in this league is dreadful | Syracusefan.com

The defense in this league is dreadful

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Great win. We played great and made shots that were wide open or uncontested. One of my last hopes for making hay in this league is that our early schedule was made up of what may be 3 of the best defensive teams in the league. The inability of teams to get stops in this league is amazing. Very few teams defend with any purpose.

I also think it's why we are in foul trouble nearly every game. The stripes are not used to watching teams defend.

Defense may be atrocious in the ACC. But the whole SEC is atrocious. Kentucky lost to a 7-8 Auburn. TAMU is the best team in that league.

You are correct, much of the better teams in the league don't play very good defensively

The ACC is definetely an offensively oriented league this year. The KP efficiency splits are noted below (some of which are hugely tilted towards offence). Note that anything outside of #100 is terrible even if its a ranking of 351 teams -- the efficiency is adjusted for the level of opposition.

11 of 15 ACC teams are better on offence than defence.
8 of 15 ACC have a significant split tilted towards offence
Only 3 teams have a fairly significant split towards defence (this includes Syracuse which borders on "significant")
6 ACC teams have a defensive efficiency below 100 (5, but I included Duke at 97 because without Jefferson they are definetely there)
As a side note BC's offensive efficiency of #326 might be the worst I have ever seen for a power conference team.

Not sure if you were implying Pitt was a good defensive team in your first post -- they are not. Even Clemson has a poor rating -- but I suspect a big part of that was caused by their lackadaisical play in OOC.

Team(Offence/Defence)

Much better offence than defence

Notre Dame 1/215
UNC 2/59
Duke 3/97
Virginia 5/36
Pitt 7/156
Clemson 48/88
NC St 77/122
Wake 79/203

Better O than D
Miami 19/30
Georgia Tech 58/79
Virginia Tech 118/132

Defence is much better
Louisville 40/1
Syracuse 88/40
Boston College 326/84

Better D than O
Florida St 68/47

Pardon the c's instead of s, eh.

You are correct, much of the better teams in the league don't play very good defensively

The ACC is definetely an offensively oriented league this year. The KP efficiency splits are noted below (some of which are hugely tilted towards offence). Note that anything outside of #100 is terrible even if its a ranking of 351 teams -- the efficiency is adjusted for the level of opposition.

11 of 15 ACC teams are better on offence than defence.
8 of 15 ACC have a significant split tilted towards offence
Only 3 teams have a fairly significant split towards defence (this includes Syracuse which borders on "significant")
6 ACC teams have a defensive efficiency below 100 (5, but I included Duke at 97 because without Jefferson they are definetely there)
As a side note BC's offensive efficiency of #326 might be the worst I have ever seen for a power conference team.

Not sure if you were implying Pitt was a good defensive team in your first post -- they are not. Even Clemson has a poor rating -- but I suspect a big part of that was caused by their lackadaisical play in OOC.

Team(Offence/Defence)

Much better offence than defence

Notre Dame 1/215
UNC 2/59
Duke 3/97
Virginia 5/36
Pitt 7/156
Clemson 48/88
NC St 77/122
Wake 79/203

Better O than D
Miami 19/30