The Dino Babers Show - before LSU | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before LSU

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
New Home for AmeriCU Dino Babers Show

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Coach, you indicated that the inability to handle the emotions of Coach Shafer returning to the Dome may have cost us in the Middle Tennessee game. Then we came back strong against Central Michigan but we committed 4 personal fouls and an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. At LSU we’ll be warming up next to a Tiger and then playing in front of 90,000 fans. What is the emotional tenor of the team and how emotional do you want your team to be on a game-to-game basis?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Coach said the team had a “fantastic practice” today. Matt asked what the looks for in a practice. “Effort and enthusiasm. Studies take up most of their time and gets their minds away from extracurricular activities and it’s hard to refocus.”

He said he couldn’t sleep last night and turned on the TV. The movie that was on turned out to be about two Bengal tigers. I think he must have seen this one: Two Brothers (2004 film) - Wikipedia
He said it had “a bad ending”.

I called in my question. Coach said that the emotional make-up of the team was good. “We need two things: effort and emotion. Fantastic effort corrects mistakes. Without emotion, you feel all the bumps and bruises. If penalties are of a physical nature – if they are in the echo of the whistle – if they are 51% instead of 49%, I can accept that – but only then.”

Matt suggested that there were other mistakes that were not penalties, such as not downing the ball on the 1 yard line. “That was a fantastic effort to get down there by Shy but then you’ve got to make the play.” He went back to the subject of hitting hard, referring to the Buddy Ryan 46 defense. Ryan said “If you keep hitting ‘em hard, they find out it’s not so much fun the next time.” He defined football as “moving a grown man in a direction he doesn’t want to go”.

LSU has had its own problems with penalties- targeting. Babers said “there are two kinds of targeting. One is where you are not very smart and selfish. The other is when you are playing lights out you catch the guy the wrong way. Theirs were the latter.”

The Tigers have a lot of injured and suspended players. “We don’t know how good their back-ups are: they haven’t played much.. They are loaded with 4 and 5 stars, players of the year in high school. They have a 6-6 defensive end/linebacker from Georgia, Arden Key who will be one of the top 5 draft picks. Derrius Guice was averaging 5.3 yards per carry but his backups, Darrell Williams and Nick Brossette are averaging 5.7. I’ve read that Louisiana has more NFL players than any other state.” (I think that’s per capita.) Matt park said “Skill positon players are everywhere but if you want those defensive linemen, you have to go down south.” (I thought it was the opposite – the speed was down south.)

He said the key to the Central Michigan performance was “the effort to be physical. We were locked in not like the previous week. Eventually things got to the breaking point and we got the big plays.”

But Eric Dungey is the key to the team. “So far, if he plays well, we win. If he doesn’t, we lose.”

The team won’t got to the stadium Friday. They never do. “It’s like Hoosiers where Gene Hackman told his team that the basket and the court were the same size, even though the arena was bigger. “the football field is 100 yards long and 53 ½ wide, regardless of where you are playing.” (I always wondered: why 53 ½? Why not 50?)

Matt referred to LSU as a “measuring stick” for how far this SU team has come. HCDB: “You want a measuring stick – but be careful what you wish for: you may not get the measurement you want.”

They played a tape of Ed Orgeron talking about SU. It was part of this:

Orgeron to me always sounds like someone trying to imitate Ed Orgeron. Coach Babers said he could never talk like that. He could never get his voice down that low. Dino was at UCLA when Ed was at USC as an assistant and they recruited against each other but not in the same areas. Ed brought a lot of southern players to Southern California, (which I guess made them even more southern).

Matt said that LSU has not had a history of good quarterback play. Coach Babers is surprised by this as he knew both Steve Kragthrope and Cam Cameron, their last two quarterback coaches and rhey are good coaches. Matt Canada is another top coach and Babers feels that “sooner or later they will have an NFL-level quarterback – JaMarcus Russell doesn’t count.”

They discussed Matt Canada’s “Xs and Os”. They include such things as tight end reverses, jet sweeps, motion shifts, changing gap responsibilities. “it’s us to the players to stay with him on the mental part. They throw mostly play action- deep. The Pitt concepts are not materializing so far.”

“We don’t have the horses to emulate what Mississippi State did. They put them in a phone booth. They ran the quarterback as a running back and hit deep ball. The LSU D-backs are fast but if you can get going in the opposite direction, you can get past them.”

Steve Ismael leads the country in receptions per game and is the third SU player to have 3 straight 100 yard games. “We’ve got to throw the ball around a bit. But with balance we have a better opportunity to stay on the field and score points. We have to stop the run and not get burned on deep routes. If we do those things it will come down to winning the kicking game. How we handle this game will tell us a lot about this team.”

LSU, like Central Michigan, has an Australian punter, so expect some more balls to go whizzing past our returners. There are 15 FBS teams with Aussie punters and we are playing two in a row. Will Dino do any recruiting there? “That’s a lot of hours in a plane…but a lot of movies, too.”

LSU’s defensive coordinator, Dave Aranda, (their coordinators are named Canada and Aranda) was with Wisconsin when Dino was at Bowling Green and they played the Badgers at that time. The Falcons managed 271 yards and 17 points but gave up 756 yards, (644 on the ground, 253 and 5TDs by Melvin Gordon), and lost 17-68. Hopefully SU will do better. Babers said that both Canada and Aranda are among the best coordinators in college ball at this time.

The last segment was with Kim McCloud, Dino’s wide receivers coach. He’s an “original staff member” at both Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green. He’s coached on both sides of the ball, just as Dino did on the way up. He explained it with a star wars reference: “It’s like you are Obe Wan Kenobe teaching Luke Skywalker. If you’ve coached on both side sof the ball, you’re Yoda.“ O. K……

Coach McCloud said that LSU was ”a great venue – one of the top places to play”. He said “we haven’t played great this year. We are still looking for perfection.”” (That may be a long search.)

Sean Riley is “extremely fast and explosive. . It’s easy to coach speed. It helps the adjustment to the college game. But you have to teach them the finer points of being an all-around receiver. And he’s been chased by a freshman, (Nykeim Johnson).

LSU is starting two freshmen in the secondary. Rather that that indicating a weakness, to McCloud, it just means that those are two exceptional freshman. “They had to be if they took a veteran player’s job."

Last edited:
Thanks for asking about emotion and how if plays on the teams mind physically and mentally. Interesting to hear Babers + - on it.

The young receivers have potential. It's interesting to me how they struggle with some of the same passes that they may not have had a problem with in HS. I'm sure playing time and confidence are two big factors and watching Butler and N.Johnson you can see a ton of potential and they do seem to find ways to get open which is very important but those drops have to become more and more less frequent along with getting the reads on a long pass and hauling them in. Also curious to what there teachings are regarding Dungey scrambling and WR movement...who goes to the side and who goes long like Riley did. There is a lot of potential there in so many ways once these players start to have the game slow down. Dungey is going to be moving and hopefully there aren't 2 or 3 Tigers after him and SU can extent plays via the air and not always by foot. I understand Dungey has to run every so often to keep them honest but if DB's lose their man all kinds of good things might happen if SU can take advantage of this.

Effort is one thing, execution is another. As HCDM used to say, let's not mistake effort for execution. Hopefully, the young men bring both on Saturday night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom