The dome... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

The dome...

Is there a scenario where you can put in real seats in prime locations, thus giving people an incentive to buy up to better seats? could keep bleaches on the sides / end zones that dont show up on TV and that way it at least looks fuller on TV
I thought about that yesterday, with regard to the student section. Might be better to cram as many folks into that section as are willing.

For a game a couple weeks ago, I had to sit the entire game with my upper body turned sideways. That was not fun.
my current seat for basketball is like that. I have an end seat but I'm on the corner so it's my own bench. The short bench to my right is supposed to fit 2 people as long as you look like Ally McBeal. Most times I sit sideways which puts me in the path of people going up the stairs. It sucks but the salary dictates that I don't have an option to upgrade.

i've been to a few stadiums/arenas where the cup holder is so tilted that it's almost useless until you've drank half the beer. they might cause more spills. that drives me nuts too.
Lose a few pounds and the holder won't tilt as much. ;)

Any chance a major renovation could address the concourses? Cattle drives pre- and post-game and at halftime are fun for gropers out there but tough for the rest of us. Although I'll never turn down a good grope...

It's always fun to see opposing fans get to the corners and try and figure out What to do. I set screens or lead like a full back for the folks with kids to try and help out.

Lose a few pounds and the holder won't tilt as much. ;)

i will NOT lose a few pounds. Im not a 46-r but i can hike up blue mountain with a 6pack and still be fat. That's the way i like it.

It's all about utilizing the illegal moving pick move.

I read that initial post and had flashbacks to a couple of Clemson fans with 2 kids. The crowd swell can be a bit overwhelming if you're not tall enough to see over.

I'm in the I don't care crowd, but certainly wouldn't complain about having my own seat.

I'm no engineer, but how is it even possible to put in seats?

On the 300 level I might buy it, because of the pitch, and the open area under your seat, for sodas, coats etc. 200 and 100 levels with the back have no open are underneath to put anything, and my knees are right up close to the back in front of me. When someone comes into the aisle upstairs, you can literally sit sideways and let them by, which is impossible to do downstairs.

I would love to see a mock-up drawing. Being someone who doesn't really know, I can't see how it's even possible.

.but being a big guy I prefer what we have. Paint the damn bleachers orange and offer free seat pads to anyone that wants them. .

That's the problem, especially for large crowd hoops games. Everybody has their damn down coats and fat butts that take up 2 spaces each.

I'm in the I don't care crowd, but certainly wouldn't complain about having my own seat.

I'm no engineer, but how is it even possible to put in seats?

On the 300 level I might buy it, because of the pitch, and the open area under your seat, for sodas, coats etc. 200 and 100 levels with the back have no open are underneath to put anything, and my knees are right up close to the back in front of me. When someone comes into the aisle upstairs, you can literally sit sideways and let them by, which is impossible to do downstairs.

I would love to see a mock-up drawing. Being someone who doesn't really know, I can't see how it's even possible.

Without having the dimensions, my theory would be that when someone wants to get by you in the current 100-level bench seats, the seats don't fold up. If there are chairbacks, you can stand and the seat will fold up behind you giving you more space to let someone by.

As for sitting down, you'd probably be just as cramped. The length of your legs isn't going to change so it doesn't matter if the seat bottom is deeper than the current benches, and the seat back in front of you will probably be about the same, so should be negligible difference.

The 1st rule in Govt spending... Why spend $150 million on sprucing up an old building - when you can have a brand new building for only double the price?

Wanna take a ride?

vlcsnap-2011-12-30-07h54m56s200.png

i've been to a few stadiums/arenas where the cup holder is so tilted that it's almost useless until you've drank half the beer. they might cause more spills. that drives me nuts too.
cup holders could be mounted on poles that elevate the beer to eye level when sitting then they wouldnt take up sitting space or attach directly to the seat in front.

alternative you drill holes in the floor about 6 inches deep that the cups would sit in and never get tipped.. you would get some sludge at times from foot traffic but after 2-3 beers who would notice.

cup holders could be mounted on poles that elevate the beer to eye level when sitting then they wouldnt take up sitting space or attach directly to the seat in front.

alternative you drill holes in the floor about 6 inches deep that the cups would sit in and never get tipped.. you would get some sludge at times from foot traffic but after 2-3 beers who would notice.
Hot-Selling-font-b-Beer-b-font-Can-Holder-font-b-Helmet-b-font-Drinking-font.jpg

Any chance a major renovation could address the concourses? Cattle drives pre- and post-game and at halftime are fun for gropers out there but tough for the rest of us. Although I'll never turn down a good grope...
If they put in a fixed roof, as expected, they will in effect build a dome on top of the existing dome. I think they could build extensions for the existing concourses at the same levels as the existing ones, and open up the former exterior walls to provide much wider concourses all along the perimeter of the dome.

The biggest issue will be doing this while still leaving that access road directly south of the stadium open to traffic. I think the new exterior walls will end up almost on the edge of the road. When construction is happening, it is going to be a real mess.

Last edited:
If they put in a fixed roof, as expected, they will in effect build a dome on top of the existing dome. I think they could build extensions for the existing concourses at the same levels as the existing ones, and open up the former exterior wall to provide much wider concourses all along the perimeter of the dome.

The biggest issue will be doing this while still leaving that access road directly south of the stadium open to traffic. I think the new exterior walls will end up almost on the edge of the road. When construction is happening, it is going to be a real mess.
I don't think they can remove ("open up") the current exterior walls. They could add another hallway outside of it though which would help reduce congestion. That would be the fast late.

Was the dome turf replaced at the same time the ipf turf was put down? I don't recall.

If they put in a fixed roof, as expected, they will in effect build a dome on top of the existing dome. I think they could build extensions for the existing concourses at the same levels as the existing ones, and open up the former exterior walls to provide much wider concourses all along the perimeter of the dome.

The biggest issue is the corners, that's where the real congestion problems are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they can remove ("open up") the current exterior walls. They could add another hallway outside of it though which would help reduce congestion. That would be the fast late.
I was not talking about removing the whole wall, just opening up holes in it to allow egress to the new portion of the concourse outside the original perimeter of the Dome.

Though it might make sense to remove those walls completely. I am not an architect but it doesn't look like they serve any purpose except to enclose the dome, i.e. keep the air inside from leaking out.

Why not just get rid of them entirely? Maybe they help hold up the concourses? If so, couldn't that role be performed by the new exterior walls? If you are going to spend $200 or $300 million, it has to bring something more to the table than just a fixed roof that mitigates the risk of a complete collapse of the roof.

I think bigger concourses, more room for restaurants, open areas for sitting, eating, relaxing, etc., more storage areas, more room for media, and everything else that more room makes possible should be part of the plan.

And to Go's point, yes, the corners are where the worst congestion happens, in large part because so many people enter/exit the dome there. Maybe the new exterior could be rectangular to provide more room still to address this weakness in the original design.

I would love to see the dome concourse opened up like the new Yankee Stadium. Right now people get hemmed in trying to move around, it's one of the reasons I'm sure that people leave early to avoid the crush

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom