The Downside- Elon | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Elon

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We’ve got three wins over mediocre opposition but we haven’t come close to playing a full game well. We were lousy in the second half vs. Lehigh and the first half vs. the Bonnies. We never really got going in this one, except for a spirt midway through the second half that gave us a workable lead that we held onto in this one.

- We continue to get very little form Coleman and Obokoh. Tonight they played a total of 15 minutes, scored 3 points, grabbed 3 rebounds and blocked two shots against a smaller team.

- A three point team? We were 6 for 15. It’s a good percentage but not a big weapon with that output.

- We were 14 for 36 on two point shots, 38.9%. That’s absurdly low against this competition. Cooney was 2 for 7, Lydon 1 for 3, Gbinije 1 for 6. Inside the arc. Yeech.

- Kaleb Joseph continues to be in the coach’s doghouse. The last two games, he’s only played 12 mintues, He’s had a steal and an assist to go with two turnovers and a foul. Thanks for coming….

- We rebounded only 10 of 33 misses in this game, 30%. Terrible against this team. This is not about their long rebounds: I’m talking our misses and we were shooting inside.

- We now have 44 turnvoers in three games. Tyler Ennis, where are you?

- We’ll be a pretty good team someday.

I was so heartened in the two exhibitions where we scored in the 90's. Are we not shooting well in the regular season because we are playing so much better competition than LeMoyne and.. and... meh, too lazy to look it up? Are they guarding us and disrupting us that much better? I can't help but feel this is primarily psychological. Is it lack of confidence? Cowardly Lion noives?

I do like how they're making adjustments, going inside when the outside isn't working.

I was so heartened in the two exhibitions where we scored in the 90's. Are we not shooting well in the regular season because we are playing so much better competition than LeMoyne and.. and... meh, too lazy to look it up? Are they guarding us and disrupting us that much better? I can't help but feel this is primarily psychological. Is it lack of confidence? Cowardly Lion noives?

I do like how they're making adjustments, going inside when the outside isn't working.

We shot 40% from the arc but only 15 attempts. It was the two point shots that were the problem. Without an inside scorer, we have to drive from the back court to shoot and the defense has time to react.

We shot 40% from the arc but only 15 attempts. It was the two point shots that were the problem. Without an inside scorer, we have to drive from the back court to shoot and the defense has time to react.
Thanks! I know 40% doesn't look like we were struggling with the 3, but it felt like we were. Hence the decision to take it inside more, which I agree with. We have struggled shooting the 3 in our first two "real" games as well. Yet in the exhibition games, the hoop was a mile wide.

- We continue to get very little form Coleman and Obokoh. Tonight they played a total of 15 minutes, scored 3 points, grabbed 3 rebounds and blocked two shots against a smaller team.

This is incredibly worrisome. A lot of teams you expect the bigs to struggle a bit in certain respects against smaller (lesser) teams because of their quickness, but even in the areas where they should excel - they're not.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will be this year.

I'm not yet ready to give up on this team. We have two seniors up top with G and TC. And MR, TR, and LT as forwards. I like that lineup both on offense and defense. The team still needs a ton of work on both ends.. But as a team they may end up being more than the sum of the parts. I still want to be hopeful.

This is incredibly worrisome. A lot of teams you expect the bigs to struggle a bit in certain respects against smaller (lesser) teams because of their quickness, but even in the areas where they should excel - they're not.

But isn't this the time of year where we should be able to let them play through this? At least a little? I'm not saying we should jeopardize winning the game, but at least Coleman should have some trust from Boeheim to play a few extra minutes. And Obokoh has looked reasonable on defense (surprisingly, or at least better than Coleman). Can't he log a few minutes? Is it a crime if he fouls out? With him in there, Lydon plays the wing which has to help a little. Even if it is only to continue learning the zone and while we are playing sub-elite competition.

But isn't this the time of year where we should be able to let them play through this? At least a little? I'm not saying we should jeopardize winning the game, but at least Coleman should have some trust from Boeheim to play a few extra minutes. And Obokoh has looked reasonable on defense (surprisingly, or at least better than Coleman). Can't he log a few minutes? Is it a crime if he fouls out? With him in there, Lydon plays the wing which has to help a little. Even if it is only to continue learning the zone and while we are playing sub-elite competition.
If we lose those games, the players and certainly the fans go into a tailspin. I really get what you are saying, but Boeheim wants to win every game. He doesn't want to take a chance. He also sees that we are not - alas - very good. It's an unenviable position he is in. Very frustrating for all.

If we lose those games, the players and certainly the fans go into a tailspin. I really get what you are saying, but Boeheim wants to win every game. He doesn't want to take a chance. He also sees that we are not - alas - very good. It's an unenviable position he is in. Very frustrating for all.

Bench players will get playing time in proportion to how well they do. JB plays his main guys. When he substitutes someone from the bench, the moment they make a mistake or don't play defense well, JB will put his main player back in. He's done this for years. JB will only keep a bench playing in as long as they keep doing well.

I'm not yet ready to give up on this team. We have two seniors up top with G and TC. And MR, TR, and LT as forwards. I like that lineup both on offense and defense. The team still needs a ton of work on both ends.. But as a team they may end up being more than the sum of the parts. I still want to be hopeful.

I certainly hope nobody is "giving up on this team" after three games, all of which we won. :crazy:

I certainly hope nobody is "giving up on this team" after three games, all of which we won. :crazy:

One loss and half the board will freak out.

One loss and half the board will freak out.
Then by season's end, we will all be in the insane asylum!

Oh, wait, we don't have those anymore. We will all be living under the bridge at 690. Claim your spot early!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom