The Downside- Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I wondered what was holding this talented Florida State team back from being a really good team. They are not much on defense, despite their height.

- We had a season high 20 turnovers. Gbinije, our leader, had 4 of them, as did Tyler Roberson, who doesn’t see the ball that much except when he goes to get it off the boards. Cooney, Lydon and Howard each had three. Only 10 of them were steals. So we had 10 unforced turnovers. The lay-off may not have affected our shooting but it might have affected our ball-handling.

- We didn’t close the halves brilliantly: 31-17 to 42-39, (that’s 11-22) and 85-61 to 85-72, (an 0-11 run in the last 2:38). I’ll agree it wasn’t cri5ical but I won’t say it didn’t matter.

- The refs got plenty of face time with 39 fouls called.

Their height is exaggerated. It is concentrated in two foul prone string-bean centers that do not mix it up and are never on the court at the same time. Their third center is injured and since the injury they cannot go big. Their forwards are notable for their athleticism, not their height.

Weak finish to the first half was troublesome. Weak finish to the second half was simply sloppiness resultant from stall ball and the BIG lead.

I don't know if I would call our turnovers "unforced". I think FSU did a good job of pressuring the primary ball handlers and trying to deny passes to ball handlers that did not have the ball, especially first few passes of a possession. If Syracuse managed to take care of the ball and stayed patient the defense seemed to break down and yield a good shot. There were a lot of times where I thought their defense was good and then all of a sudden we just had a wide open look or open path down the middle of the lane. Not sure whether it was the difference in effort among individual guys on D or whether they ultimately lost guys the longer the possessions continued??

Imagine the score without all the Cuse turnovers. It would have been at least 15 at the half (even with the usual 3 we give up). And another 10-12 points in the second half. Shooting 62% to 40% should yield a bigger score difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom