The Downside (Iowa) | Syracusefan.com

The Downside (Iowa)

SWC75

Bored Historian
THE DOWNSIDE

- We pulled this one out but JB wasn’t very happy after the game. He didn’t like the way we almost blew what had been a 15 point lead. He complained that it wasn’t just our young players but our veteran players who made bad decisions and passes down the stretch. Jimmy Salatin said we needed to decide if we wanted to attack the press to score or to just get the ball across the midcourt line. I think we did too little of the former. There were a lot of sideways passes that had no chance to beat the defense down the court. And when we did get in the half court set, we telegraphed too many passes. We had 15 turnovers but, as JB said, it seemed like a lot more because they were bunched at the end.

- We hit 40% of our three pointers vs. Carleton, thanks to Ron Patterson, (remember him?) going 4 for 5. Since then we are 29.6%, 26.7%, 27.8%, 23.5% and now 20%, (3 for 15). That makes this game very hard.

- Speaking of My Three Sons, I this game they were a combined 2 for 6 from the field and scored 5 points, (BJ Johnson didn’t play at all). With Jerami Grant in the pros and Trevor Cooney an unreliable shooter at best, we need these guys, who are veteran player snow, to begin to assert themselves selves as significant part of this team.

- They listed the freshmen point guards who have started for JB: Pearl Washington, Adrian Autry, Jason Hart, Gerry McNamara, Johnny Flynn a Tyler Ennis and now Kaleb Joseph. I would put Joseph in a group with Autry and Hart, both of whom struggled quite a bit before becoming good college point guards by the time they were seniors, than Washington, McNamara, Flynn and Ennis, who were instant stars. Autry’s first three SU teams were 26-6 (thanks to Billy Owens and Dave Johnson), then 22-10 and 20-9. Hart’s first three teams were 19-13, 26-9, and 21-12. That’s not the level of success to which we’ve become accustomed. But we may have to get used to it. This team resembles those teams more than I’d like them to.

Yep, biggest downside to the win was the way we handled Iowa's press. Let me repeat that - Iowa's press. Not Louisville's, but Iowa's.

No way we should have had as many TOs and near TOs against their press. That has got to get fixed and soon. They played not to lose toward the end instead of to win. Hopefully they will learn from both games and move forward.

Cheers,
Neil

Yep, biggest downside to the win was the way we handled Iowa's press. Let me repeat that - Iowa's press. Not Louisville's, but Iowa's.

No way we should have had as many TOs and near TOs against their press. That has got to get fixed and soon. They played not to lose toward the end instead of to win. Hopefully they will learn from both games and move forward.

Cheers,
Neil

I know. I didn't expect it to bother us as much as it did. Everyone seemed to be pretty shaky at handling the pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom