The Downside vs. Connecticut | Syracusefan.com

The Downside vs. Connecticut

SWC75

Bored Historian
- People envisioned this as a game where our high-powered offense would leave their horse and buggy in the dust. We’d grab a big lead and wear them out. It started out that way but then became the kind of game Connecticut wanted. They totally dominated the second and third quarters. At the end of the game, the Huskies ran 91 plays to our 66 and held the ball for 38:29-21:31.

- We succeeded in overcoming all the plays and time to take a 31-17 lead and that should have bene the final score but nothing comes easy to the Orange. We kicked the ball out of bounds to give it to them on the 35. Then we stayed in a prevent defense, letting them move steadily down the field. We seemed to have them on 4th and 12 from the 24 and our zone retreats to the back of the end zone and allowed Tyler Davis to run open in the front of the end zone and catch a ball with no one near him. Then we have to endure two onside kicks, (one we got easily but Babers had called a time out to ‘freeze’ the on-side kicker and one that bounced off Erv Phillips into the hands of Brisley Estime). I’d spent a week watching crazy Mets games and now this. I wonder what it’s like to relax?
relax-header-9-2015-1100x550.png

- That kick-off formation scares me. I understand the concept- kick it to the corner and have half your guys cheat to that side. But you are risking a penalty kicking the ball out of bounds. A couple of times Connecticut returners moved to the open side of the field and one of them almost got there. if anybody ever looks at those old Kirby Dar Dar tapes……

- It wasn’t a great game for our kickers. Cole Murphy missed two field goals and twice kicked the ball out of bounds. He slipped missing a chip shot that would have made it it 27-17, (tthis was before the goal line stand), and Brian Higgins, the sideline reporter thought perhaps he had hurt himself. Sterling Hofrichter averaged only 39.4 on five punts. It was a windy day but you can’t play every game in the carrier Dome.

- We had no running game. 62 yards at 2.4 per carry. Our primary guy, Dontae Strickland, actually did better than that: 51 yards in 14 carries, (3.6). Somebody in the chatroom said that those draw plays I’m tired of actually have some openings but our running backs choose the wrong hole. That’s Strickland. Free Jordan Fredericks!

- Thank you, Mr. Referee. You spotted the ball a full yard beyond where it should have been spotted to give Connecticut a free first down. You failed to penalize the Huskies for allowing a player who had taken off his helmet to stay in the game. You discounted Cordell Hudson’s first interception because the ball touched the ground as he fell but didn’t make the same call when the same thing happened on UConn’s fake field goal later in the game. And you didn’t throw the flag when Kendall Moore was tripped on his way to the end zone. I guess you knew which side of the bread your butter was spread on.

- In the end it was a battle between two less than mediocre teams to see which one would fail to lose the game. In any game you want two things: to win and to come out of it feeling like you're going to do it again. I'm not sure this game would have beaten anyone else left on our schedule.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom