The Downside | Syracusefan.com

The Downside

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It’s too bad I didn’t keep my Upside/Downside for the Minnesota game. I could have recycled it. We out gained ‘em but lost because we made more mistakes. We had 4 turnovers to their none. We had 7 penalties to their four, (and Rutgers was the most penalized team in the country going in). We ran the ball on third and long and got nothing out of it. We made long drives but didn’t score because we can’t get “explosive plays” and made a mess of the red zone. We didn’t go to our best receiver until late in the fourth quarter when we were hopelessly behind. It’s a recurring nightmare.

- Maybe a musical interlude would help. Here is Danny Kaye’s tribute to our offense:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXi3bjKowJU

We inch our way down the field, gaining, (we hope), 5 yards at a time. We roll up the yards, (Nassib threw for 269 yards in the second half but all we got was one touchdown), but it takes 10, 12, 14 plays to score and this team can’t run that many plays in a row without making a mistake. Supposedly Doug Marrone and his staff spent the off-season trying to figure out how to get more “explosive” plays. Where are they? Or did they mean plays that blow up in our face?

- OrangePA is going to have another tough week. We ran on 3rd and 12 in the red zone, seeming to play for the field goal and had it blocked and returned for a touchdown in the key play of the game. We virtually ignored our best receiver, Marcus Sales, until the fourth quarter, then marched right down the field on consecutive passes of 33, 17 and 27 yards to Sales. We then ran 8 plays inside the 10 and only one of them was a pass to Sales. And only one of them was a run by Adonis Ameen Moore. After we got a second chance on an interference call that gave us a first down at the 2, we passed on the first two plays and then brought Moore and his blocker, Coker in for a third down play which was run right into the arms of the defenders who were waiting for it. We got nothing and wound up losing by a touchdown.

- Ross Krautman used to be a very reliable kicker but he had a miserable day, missing his first one badly, (it was 50 yards but so far off line he would not have made it from any distance), and then kicking the second, only a 32 yarder, right into the arms of an on-rushing lineman. If the ball had been just tipped it might just have been a block and a lost opportunity. But by kicking it low, Krautman allowed it to be batted backwards, which set up the run for the score.

- When Stephen Rene fumbled on that punt, (if that’s what he did), Matt Park and Chris Gedney speculated that “he may have been trying to do too much”. That would be ironic. He has 8 punt returns for 1 net year this year. The opposition has punted 34 times.

- At no point during that game did I think that Rutgers had more talent on the field than we did. But I never felt we would win, either.

I hate to agree, but after our 1st drive my feeling was we had no chance of winning. When you get to the 25 yard line, and start going backwards that's always a bad sign.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom