The Fine Lot to Become Basketball Courts? | Syracusefan.com

The Fine Lot to Become Basketball Courts?

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
This is from page 30 of the pdf SU just provided.

Some thoughts:

SU is going to have to move a lot of earth to level things enough to put basketball courts and a soccer field in that space. Especially for the soccer field, the slope over there is pretty steep.

I am going to assume the new buildings on the West lots are going to be dorms. The lack of space for parking really stands out. I think OttoMets has said the dorms will have big parking garages, to address parking for the students. But what about fans? I can only think the plan is to use all the space being freed up on South Campus for parking and rely on buses to get people to and from there and North Campus. I have to admit I am bummed about this. Could get back to my house in Liverpool after a 7 PM basketball game by 9:20 pm. That will move out by at least an hour if this happens. Not good on work nights.

No sign of a hotel on the Irving Ave side of the Dome.

Looks like SU thinks I81 is going to stay (and they are planning on putting buildings up on the west side of it).

What is the building just southwest of the Dome, next to Hendricks Field?

New Fine Lot.png

The buildings across 81 are listed as part of an Energy Plant. I believe SU wants to build this West Campus only if 81 comes down, which is why it's not part of an early phase.

Buried somewhere in the document was mention of a boutique hotel (perhaps attached to the front of The Dome).

Syverud wants a walkable campus, so I expect a lot of parking lots to go. It's not just fans who will need to adjust, but faculty and staff at SU as well

Of course they are.

What have I been saying about investing $250M to $500M in a facility that has been getting more and more densely used and occupied 24/7 and over the last 30 years.

White Elephant

The buildings across 81 are listed as part of an Energy Plant. I believe SU wants to build this West Campus only if 81 comes down, which is why it's not part of an early phase.

Buried somewhere in the document was mention of a boutique hotel (perhaps attached to the front of The Dome).

Syverud wants a walkable campus, so I expect a lot of parking lots to go. It's not just fans who will need to adjust, but faculty and staff at SU as well
IMPLEMENTATION AND PROJECTS

The Campus Framework is a long-term plan meant to guide future campus development for the next 20 years. To stay relevant in the constantly changing world, the plan is designed to be flexible. In the near-term, the Campus Framework identities strategic investment opportunities in key catalytic projects. Many of these projects reinforce the draft Academic Strategic Plan that was developed concurrently with the Campus Framework, and all of the near-term projects reinforce the goals of the campus and design principles at the outset of this project. In the long-term, and as new needs are identi ed, the Campus Framework provides additional suggestions for possible future projects and development sites. These phasing plans are preliminary and evolving, and may change in order to accommodate future priorities. Prior to implementation, speci c design guidelines will be created to maintain view priorities, establish height restrictions, and de ne perimeters for speci c campus districts and neighborhoods.

1. SUPPORT ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE

• National Veterans Resource Complex (NVRC) and large auditorium

• Renovate necessary spaces to enable NVRC and create general swing space

• Science, engineering, and research building

• Psychology building

• Link Hall and HB Crouse renovations

• Repurpose Women’s Building

• Shaw Quadrangle building renovations

• Huntington Hall renovation

• Future University Avenue buildings

2. ENRICH STUDENT LIFE

• Dome improvements and roof replacement

• The Arch student life and recreation center

• Renovate Sheraton Hotel for student housing

• Student services hub

• Renovate Bird Library

• Haven Hall and Booth Hall additions

• Housing replacements

• Schine Student Center

• West Campus recreation elds and parking

• West Campus housing

• Build Ostrom Avenue Housing

• Build consolidated athletics and recreation complex

on South Campus

3. CREATE A VIBRANT CAMPUS SETTING

• University Place Promenade

• Waverly Avenue Streetscape Improvements (between Irving Avenue and Comstock Avenue)

• Academic Promenade

• New boutique hotel

• Energy Plant Complex

• Create trail network on South Campus

• Develop South Campus

Haven Hall renovation? Thing looks like a giant toliet

Let's pull the reins in a little bit - the Fine Lot is likely to become basketball courts the same way Walnut Park was to become an underground parking garage in the 2003 master plan.

Ten years out, 10% of these projects get completed (all with some modifications from the plan) and there's a new chancellor, new buzzwords, and a whole new batch of transformative priorities that go into drafting a new plan. Rinse, repeat.

This time we're likely to see the IVMF building, Dome/Archbold, expensive landscaping, physical plant upgrades, and the beginnings of the population shift from Skytop (but who knows how far they'll get with that, because it's a huge project). And probably a new physics building at SciTech.

Also, SU doesn't expect 81 to stay, but Sasaki didn't touch the massing of non-university property. And the building next to Hendricks Field is the Dome's television deck. That won't be needed after better facilities are incorporated in the renovated Dome, so it's a potential building site. (A little small, if you ask me, but they'd want it if they were to build out to the density suggested by the plan.)

IMPLEMENTATION AND PROJECTS

The Campus Framework is a long-term plan meant to guide future campus development for the next 20 years. To stay relevant in the constantly changing world, the plan is designed to be flexible. In the near-term, the Campus Framework identities strategic investment opportunities in key catalytic projects. Many of these projects reinforce the draft Academic Strategic Plan that was developed concurrently with the Campus Framework, and all of the near-term projects reinforce the goals of the campus and design principles at the outset of this project. In the long-term, and as new needs are identi ed, the Campus Framework provides additional suggestions for possible future projects and development sites. These phasing plans are preliminary and evolving, and may change in order to accommodate future priorities. Prior to implementation, speci c design guidelines will be created to maintain view priorities, establish height restrictions, and de ne perimeters for speci c campus districts and neighborhoods.

1. SUPPORT ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE

• National Veterans Resource Complex (NVRC) and large auditorium

• Renovate necessary spaces to enable NVRC and create general swing space

• Science, engineering, and research building

• Psychology building

• Link Hall and HB Crouse renovations

• Repurpose Women’s Building

• Shaw Quadrangle building renovations

• Huntington Hall renovation

• Future University Avenue buildings

2. ENRICH STUDENT LIFE

• Dome improvements and roof replacement

• The Arch student life and recreation center

• Renovate Sheraton Hotel for student housing

• Student services hub

• Renovate Bird Library

• Haven Hall and Booth Hall additions

• Housing replacements

• Schine Student Center

• West Campus recreation elds and parking

• West Campus housing

• Build Ostrom Avenue Housing

• Build consolidated athletics and recreation complex

on South Campus

3. CREATE A VIBRANT CAMPUS SETTING

• University Place Promenade

• Waverly Avenue Streetscape Improvements (between Irving Avenue and Comstock Avenue)

• Academic Promenade

• New boutique hotel

• Energy Plant Complex

• Create trail network on South Campus

• Develop South Campus
Well that confirms that the plan is to convert the Sheraton into a dorm. I am under the impression that a major hotel on campus is a must. Isn't it sold out for most of the academic year?

Would a boutique hotel be sufficient to replace the Sheraton? A boutique hotel usually has between 10 and 100 rooms. The Sheraton has 235...

Also, SU doesn't expect 81 to stay, but Sasaki didn't touch the massing of non-university property. And the building next to Hendricks Field is the Dome's television deck. That won't be needed after better facilities are incorporated in the renovated Dome, so it's a potential building site. (A little small, if you ask me, but they'd want it if they were to build out to the density suggested by the plan.)
It looks quite a lot bigger than the TV deck is, and appears to have eaten cto's parking lot. Extremely controversial!

Well that confirms that the plan is to convert the Sheraton into a dorm. I am under the impression that a major hotel on campus is a must. Isn't it sold out for most of the academic year?

Would a boutique hotel be sufficient to replace the Sheraton? A boutique hotel usually has between 10 and 100 rooms. The Sheraton has 235...

I agree about the hotel. Heck even Mercer has a hotel on campus and I'm pretty sure they are building another one.

I am very skeptical about the plans for the Sheraton as they are putting in millions of dollars to renovate their main banquet hall/space. I find it hard to believe they would put that kind of money in and then turn the place over to the school a handful of years later. I don't see the Sheraton going anywhere.

It looks quite a lot bigger than the TV deck is, and appears to have eaten cto's parking lot. Extremely controversial!

I've always thought that the new Dome should accommodate a small garage (~100 cars). There's room under that hillside, it would be hugely appreciated by big donors, and while it'd be expensive ($50,000 per space), so's everything associated with a stadium renovation.

It looks like Sasaki pretty much plunked down a building on any non-historic open space in order to plausibly pretend that they'll squeeze 3,500 more beds into the area. That's clearly a priority here (and that was one of the first things I heard about the chancellor's physical plans for the campus when he arrived). So we'll see what becomes of that.

Also interesting to note that those omissions - no parking garages, no hotel (unless that's what the Hendricks footprint is for, but that'd be the first I heard of that). Again, it's just a broader plan that reflects the priorities more than the implementation. I think any future construction on the 500 and 600 blocks of University (near the current garage) is likely to have a parking component, and I'm sure that 75% of the West Campus parking spaces will still exist in 2026. (Not to take this too far afield, but I know the designers are monitoring the self-driving car development and SU is aware of it too; by the time SU's ready to build on those west lots -- which could be never -- a lot of people might be getting to work and games differently than they do now.)

If 81 comes down, where does it go and why? And NYS would pay for that?

Let's pull the reins in a little bit - the Fine Lot is likely to become basketball courts the same way Walnut Park was to become an underground parking garage in the 2003 master plan.

Ten years out, 10% of these projects get completed (all with some modifications from the plan) and there's a new chancellor, new buzzwords, and a whole new batch of transformative priorities that go into drafting a new plan. Rinse, repeat.

This time we're likely to see the IVMF building, Dome/Archbold, expensive landscaping, physical plant upgrades, and the beginnings of the population shift from Skytop (but who knows how far they'll get with that, because it's a huge project). And probably a new physics building at SciTech.

Great to see you jump in here OM, I had a feeling this was more wishful thinking then anything else. To turn one of the last major parking/tailgating areas into a soccer field would be idiotic and probably the death knell for what little tailgating is left. I really hope the school doesn't move forward on something like this, I know a lot of people who would be mad enough to dump their tickets, parking passes, donations etc.

If 81 comes down, where does it go and why? And NYS would pay for that?

It goes east of the city (481) because it needs to be rebuilt, it's redundant, and the relevant stakeholders in the area don't want an interstate in that part of the city anymore; the state and feds will pay to remove that portion, rebuild the stub portion from 690 to the North Syracuse interchange, and upgrade the current north and south 481 interchanges to accommodate 65-mph traffic.

Great to see you jump in here OM, I had a feeling this was more wishful thinking then anything else. To turn one of the last major parking/tailgating areas into a soccer field would be idiotic and probably the death knell for what little tailgating is left. I really hope the school doesn't move forward on something like this, I know a lot of people who would be mad enough to dump their tickets, parking passes, donations etc.

Yeah, almost looks like a placeholder - "damn, we hit all the important stuff, but we didn't do West Campus - quick, what can we dump in there? Green space with some soccer lines, perfect."

This is from page 30 of the pdf SU just provided.

Some thoughts:

SU is going to have to move a lot of earth to level things enough to put basketball courts and a soccer field in that space. Especially for the soccer field, the slope over there is pretty steep.

I am going to assume the new buildings on the West lots are going to be dorms. The lack of space for parking really stands out. I think OttoMets has said the dorms will have big parking garages, to address parking for the students. But what about fans? I can only think the plan is to use all the space being freed up on South Campus for parking and rely on buses to get people to and from there and North Campus. I have to admit I am bummed about this. Could get back to my house in Liverpool after a 7 PM basketball game by 9:20 pm. That will move out by at least an hour if this happens. Not good on work nights.

No sign of a hotel on the Irving Ave side of the Dome.

Looks like SU thinks I81 is going to stay (and they are planning on putting buildings up on the west side of it).

What is the building just southwest of the Dome, next to Hendricks Field?

View attachment 66992
I think those are the west lots,not Fine

I was told that SU was to build a new steam plant right next door to the old plant to supply SU in the future. $450 MILLION PLUS

I am very skeptical about the plans for the Sheraton as they are putting in millions of dollars to renovate their main banquet hall/space. I find it hard to believe they would put that kind of money in and then turn the place over to the school a handful of years later. I don't see the Sheraton going anywhere.
It's a 20-year plan. I suspect that there will be another SPG hotel on campus before the current hotel becomes a dorm... 2026-31. Maybe I'll see it someday, maybe I won't.

As far as dorms go, why not just build a few 15-20 story buildings and be done with it? I'm guessing that would be more expensive, but it would decrease the footprint in an already densely-populated area.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom