The Fine Lot to Become Basketball Courts? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Fine Lot to Become Basketball Courts?

As far as dorms go, why not just building a few 15-20 story buildings and be done with it? I'm guessing that would be more expensive, but it would decrease the footprint in an already densely-populated area.

High-rises aren't popular among schools for housing (and there's less incentive to build tall when you pay no property taxes) but I agree that campus would be better off with a handful of tall buildings rather than having six-story buildings take up every empty lot.

It looks quite a lot bigger than the TV deck is, and appears to have eaten cto's parking lot. Extremely controversial!
Pure guess, but it could be a full blown uplink center. Maybe studio space? Maybe there are College Gameday aspirations.

there is a lot of cognitive dissonance going on in the heads of people who want no parking, lots of walking, and accessibility for the disabled.

the parking at skytop bus issue would be greatly changed by the dynamic of less people actually parking at the dome and clogging the street. what if they shut down car traffic for an hr after the game so the buses could actually get out in a timely fashion and they routed the cars out of manley/skytop in one direction? maybe they could buy the monorail from disney they must be ready for something knew after all these years..

mono.png

I'm still bummed there's no monorail in the plan.

there is a lot of cognitive dissonance going on in the heads of people who want no parking, lots of walking, and accessibility for the disabled.

Yes, interesting considering the demographics too.

Great to see you jump in here OM, I had a feeling this was more wishful thinking then anything else. To turn one of the last major parking/tailgating areas into a soccer field would be idiotic and probably the death knell for what little tailgating is left. I really hope the school doesn't move forward on something like this, I know a lot of people who would be mad enough to dump their tickets, parking passes, donations etc.
I'd be one of those who'd bail if they force us out to have to go to Skytop, deal with buses, etc. And then of course as soon as that happened they'd get back to being top 10 good :bang:

Skytop has really gone through a huge change. They have expanded parking, added flush toliets and improved traffic flow...some of which has been done since last season. Skytop is here to stay.

Looks like it's official with the Sheraton...

Gotta say I am pretty surprised to see this go public. The Sheraton has put millions into the hotel the last few years and are slated for a big redo (if it hasn't already started) of one of their largest conference/banquet halls. I wonder if this is one of those things that keeps getting delayed until they come up with a new plan. Sheraton corporate is printing money over their for most of the year I doubt their not going to make a play to figure out a way to keep it as a hotel.

Skytop has really gone through a huge change. They have expanded parking, added flush toliets and improved traffic flow...some of which has been done since last season. Skytop is here to stay.
Yah that makes no sense. I get the idea of connecting student housing more with the academic core. But this seems like millions of dollars of infrastructure needed to move 2,500 beds out of skytop to create a "network of trails"?

Last edited:
I'd be one of those who'd bail if they force us out to have to go to Skytop, deal with buses, etc. And then of course as soon as that happened they'd get back to being top 10 good :bang:
You can't give up, man .. not with your cooking skills and that $10,000 articulating grill!

This is from page 30 of the pdf SU just provided.

Some thoughts:

SU is going to have to move a lot of earth to level things enough to put basketball courts and a soccer field in that space. Especially for the soccer field, the slope over there is pretty steep.

I am going to assume the new buildings on the West lots are going to be dorms. The lack of space for parking really stands out. I think OttoMets has said the dorms will have big parking garages, to address parking for the students. But what about fans? I can only think the plan is to use all the space being freed up on South Campus for parking and rely on buses to get people to and from there and North Campus. I have to admit I am bummed about this. Could get back to my house in Liverpool after a 7 PM basketball game by 9:20 pm. That will move out by at least an hour if this happens. Not good on work nights.

No sign of a hotel on the Irving Ave side of the Dome.

Looks like SU thinks I81 is going to stay (and they are planning on putting buildings up on the west side of it).

What is the building just southwest of the Dome, next to Hendricks Field?

View attachment 66992
This view looks like Fine Lot is still open.

http://campusframework.syr.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/June-Campus-Framework-Spread.pdf

Gotta say I am pretty surprised to see this go public. The Sheraton has put millions into the hotel the last few years and are slated for a big redo (if it hasn't already started) of one of their largest conference/banquet halls. I wonder if this is one of those things that keeps getting delayed until they come up with a new plan. Sheraton corporate is printing money over their for most of the year I doubt their not going to make a play to figure out a way to keep it as a hotel.
Is it possible they intend to make it a mixed use facility (part hotel, part dorm with retail space on the lowest level)?

Is it possible they intend to make it a mixed use facility (part hotel, part dorm with retail space on the lowest level)?
That's what it is now (minus the retail space). There are 66 students living there, I believe.

I'd be more interested to know how/why SU's thinking about moving 2,700 student beds from one end of campus to the other. I mean, it's good to be "connected" to the academic core. But the costs will be staggering. They could build a monorail more cheaply, or put a graduate/professional program on the hill ... like architecture. Those kids don't care as much about hanging out with the undergrads or looking fresh on Marshal street.

Architecture is on the Hill. Slocum is entirely architecture. They are no longer in the warehouse at all I thought.As to the cost, I have heard conversation that the university will lease the land to private developers for some if not all the dorm facilities.

I heard that student housing is being built on the land on Brighton Ave and Thurber St where Brighton bakery used to be. I'm assuming a private developer in conjunction with SU. Pretty far from the campus center and strangely closer to the South Campus.

I heard that student housing is being built on the land on Brighton Ave and Thurber St where Brighton bakery used to be. I'm assuming a private developer in conjunction with SU. Pretty far from the campus center and strangely closer to the South Campus.

Are the walls bulletproof? My brother used to live off Remington and there was a shooting at least once a month a block over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom