The Jim Boeheim Show- before North Florida | Syracusefan.com

The Jim Boeheim Show- before North Florida

SWC75

Bored Historian
Jim Boeheim’s radio show is on Thursdays from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show originates from the Cavalier Room at the Marriott in Downtown Syracuse. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality.

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question!
Or on Twitter at mattpark1 or “askBoeheim”.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometime simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: WGVA

I will be posting my rough transcript the night of the broadcast focusing on my questions, the team and their last and next games and then a second post the next day on other things that were discussed.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, I was hoping that DaJuan Coleman could have a big senior season like another former McDonald’s All-American, Rakeem Christmas did a couple of years ago. It would be a happy ending after all of his physical problems. After the South Carolina game you said DaJuan was ”not ready to play at this level” . Should I give up on the idea of him having a big senior season? “

COACH BOEHEIM
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. In recent years they have started out doing one hour shows and then shifted to two hour shows in January. When they do two hour shows. I will do two posts: one on the night of the broadcast on the issues directly relating to the team on the other the next days on other things that were talked about.) –

(Note: It was just an hour show tonight.)

The subject, naturally, was the two difficult defeats we have absorbed since the last show. JB: “South Carolina had a good pressure defense. Wisconsin had a good half-court offense. Coaches have to make adjustments. Players have to make adjustments, too. There was nothing good about the two games. We were bad at both ends. It was bad playing and bad coaching. We made a great come back from way back against Wisconsin. We had bad defense but good offense. In the second half the defense was still bad and the offense was so bad it took us out of the game. We had some really good defense sequences but didn’t get the rebound….Wisconsin was very efficient. They are probably the best offensive team we will play or close to it with an inside scorer, an outside scorer and a guy who can make plays from the top of the key. Wisconsin was probably the worst match-up we could have had at this point. We might have beaten someone else, (in the Big Ten), Wisconsin got back all but 20 minutes of their playing time from last year and they picked up a good freshman.“ it was noted that Indiana had defeated North Carolina after the Tar Heels got back from winning in Maui. “I’ve never seen them play with so little energy. That’s what determined that game.” Jim noted that Wisconsin had had time to “get their legs back” by the time they played us.

Did the team learn some things that will help them in future games? “It doesn’t always help you in the next game. It might be a different style. We played zones in the first four games. Then we had to play a man for man….This group will go to work and we’ll play better.”

Our next opponent, North Florida, was playing Florida in their own gym. (Florida won 91-60).

Liam from Pompey got the first call in. He said the team was young and inexperienced and played two good teams. “What do you see in north Florida?” JB: “We didn’t play at the level we have to play at. South Carolina is one of the most under-rated teams in the country. They played tremendous defense, taking us out of what we like to do. Wisconsin played in the sweet 16 last year and they were playing art home. We were fooled by the early game because we got what we wanted easily. I see North Florida is playing zone and some man for man. We’ve got to get better.”

John called in to ask for an assessment of next year’s recruiting. JB, (without mentioning names): We’ve got two really good players, 6-9, 6-10, (apparently, you can mention heights), “We don’t’ really look at stars but I’d think they would be 4 stars. We’re still recruiting for the backcourt. We need a couple more guys.“ Later a question came up about whether the Wisconsin loss would hurt our recruiting. “We rarely recruit against the Big Ten. It’s mostly against eastern teams.” (And Kentucky.)

John then said he “heard 2-3 years ago that you were going to retire and Hopkins is going to take over- whatever happened with that?” Jim: “Next year will be my last year.” He didn’t equivocate.

I called in my question and didn’t even get to complete it. “Everybody takes me literally. It was about that game. In the first half against Wisconsin, he was very good on offense. He scored 12 points, which I’ll take any night. But we’ve given up 40 points to the other team’s centers in the last two games. We’ve got to do better. More than that, we’ve got to get rebounds. The rebounding is troubling. We needed defensive rebounds from our centers. We needed more from Tyler Roberson. We need more form the point guards. Nobody on the team is happy with the way we played. To beat good teams, we need multiple guys playing well.” Everybody can get better. Michael Jordan came back at age 36 because the thought he could be better. Losing points it out more but you can always get better. We’re very critical in the early games because we know we’ll be playing good teams. We shot under 40%. You’re not going to win games doing that.

Looking at the TV screen, Jim said “North Florida is going to be tough for Florida. Every time I look up, they are making a good play. They are all over the place in their zone. Very aggressive. They are a physical team…. They are active on defense and have pretty good players on offense. ”

Pat called in to say he was going to be in New York for the reunion with Connecticut. JB: “They struggled early with two guys injured and a very difficult schedule. They will be fine. They’ve got good players, a big guy and good guards.” About Syracuse, coming back from two losses: “When you lose two in a row it’s not fun. If they are close and you lose at the buzzer, you can see some good things you did. But when you played poorly, it can be difficult going out there again.”

Pat wondered which Boeheim had improved the most over the course of the season. He noted Jim’s comments last week that last year’s team didn’t so much play better in the NCAAs as they were playing worse teams. Pat feels it was the Aslan Griffin team. (I’m not sure why – that has to be his senior year in 2000-01 when we started out 15-1 and wound up 25-9, losing to Kansas by 29 point in the NCAAs.) Jim expanded on his comments about last year’s team: Dayton wouldn’t have competed in our league. We got a break when Middle Tennessee beat Michigan State. Against Gonzaga we got a few breaks and some steals and then we got some more against Virginia. Our 1-2-3 players – Gbinije, Cooney and Richardson- were better than our 1-2-3 players on this team and they had Lydon, too. Mike was an excellent defensive player, led the league in steals, set up the offense and scored 18 points a game. That’s a lot to replace. We need something from our backcourt and from our big guys: Can the younger big guys be a factor?”

“Maz” in Clay wanted to know are the team’s leaders since it doesn’t appear to be the seniors. JB didn’t really answer that, only saying “You don’t have to be vocal to be a leader. Mike and Trevor were pretty quiet. You have to make big plays in games and work hard every day in practice. Play hard and set the right example. It’s hard for 5th year seniors because they are new and it’s always hard for freshmen.”

Bill in Clay praised the coach for “always taking the team as far as you can. He congratulated the coach that the 1000 win mark was coming up, (Jim’s at 993 to everyone but the NCAA: he could get it in the Cornell game). Bill also noted the return of Georgetown to the Dome and the celebration of Pearl Washington’s life that will take place that night. JB: “That will be fun. It will be a great game with a big crowd. We’ll keep working. You =never know how long it will take a team to get better. You want to win enough games to get into the tourney. That’s what everybody in the country is trying to do

" It was bad playing and bad coaching."

yep. there's your answer. now let's move on and improve.

I guess what I put in bold was not regarded as a revelation, as no one has commented on it.
I noticed it. I was waiting for other responses, which I am surprised didn't happen.

Did you ever think that next year could be the summer of 2017?

I guess what I put in bold was not regarded as a revelation, as no one has commented on it.

I loved John's set up of the question. "I heard 2 or 3 years ago that you were going to retire. Whatever happened with that?"

The question we've wanted to ask, but been afraid to find out the answer.

I loved John's set up of the question. "I heard 2 or 3 years ago that you were going to retire. Whatever happened with that?"

The question we've wanted to ask, but been afraid to find out the answer.

Pretty sure it was JohnSyracuse.

Denial, I guess. I was hoping it was just an approximate time frame, not set in stone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom