The last Adrian Autry Show of the season | Syracusefan.com

The last Adrian Autry Show of the season

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8:30PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. They are again doing a third half hour segment on Twitch: I think I will save myself some time by posting the main show and linking the Twitch segment the next day when it shows up on You-Tube.

Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics
(Their last show of the year will be on March 7th)

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics The choice, finally is the “Adrian Autry Show” or the “Fran Brown Show”!
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, you’ve just played the 15th toughest schedule in the country, (measured by opponent’s winning percentage*), suffered injuries to several players and some significant defections and yet became the first SU team in a decade to win 20 regular season games. That’s a pretty good start to your career as a head coach.

(* They’ve updated this list and suddenly we’ve fallen from 5th to 16th but our opponent’s winning percentage continues to be one better than the team ranked ahead of us – which is Clemson!
Strength of Schedule (SOS) - Men's College Basketball | WarrenNolan.com )

If we wind up in the NIT, will some players opt out like some football players did for our bowl game? Also, how optimistic are you that this bunch of sophomores will stay at Syracuse and reach their potential in an Orange uniform?”

On Twitch I will ask: “Coach, what can be done to give Maliq Brown some help covering the other team’s big man inside?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Matt reported that Red “broke away for recruiting and to see his son play”. Coach Autry: “It’s been a long stretch of games. We battled. This is a chance to get our legs under us.”

At Clemson, “The biggest thing was misinformation and breakdowns, (on defense). They made us pay every time. PJ Hall. Hedging on three pointers. We just didn’t do a good enough job. They had 11 three pointers. Every time we got to within late in the shot clock, they’d get a three pointer from the corner.”

I called in to ask my two main questions, which Coach said were “two great questions.” He said in a way that sounded like he wasn’t so much praising me as confronting two great questions he’s going to have to deal with. “We haven’t gotten that far. We are still thinking about the NCAA tournament….People plan on chasing dreams…(What happened in the bowl game) hasn’t happened in basketball yet. It wouldn’t shock me. I’m hopeful. We have to make decisions…It’s about instant gratification, (these days). I don’t know.” I asked if the school would opt out of the NIT if too many players did so. “We haven’t gotten that far. We’d still want to win any tournament we are in. If we don’t have enough players…But I’m not sure.”

Matt when over the ‘time line’ for decisioning making. “Sunday March 17 is ‘Selection Sunday’. The NIT is on a parallel track. The NCAA puts that field together very late on Sunday. The transfer portal opens the next day. The coaches must have signed off on that.” AA: Someday we’ll have to get that adjusted. People didn’t think about the NIT. The NIT is not the show. But you are representing your school. It’s hard to get into the NIT. There are some 350 schools, (in Division 1, which actually has 362 schools),
And about 90 of them play post season basketball, (actually, it’s 116: 68 in the NCAA tournament, 32 in the NIT and 16 in the College Basketball Invitational: the College Insider Tournament no longer exists). Matt said in foot there’s some 120 teams, (130) and about 100 of them, (90: the 4 teams playoff and 43 bowl games). He added “Nobody wants to look at NIT bracketology”. AA: We are playing our best basketball of the season and want to continue. We completed at Clemson. We battled them on the road. Tournament play is at neutral site.” (Washington DC)

Coach Felisha Legette-Jack of the women’s team was named ACC Coach of the year. AA: “They’ve been big time from the very beginning. You’ve got to beat them. They aren’t going to help you.”

Matt did his trip around the ACC. North Carolina beat NC State 79-70. “They got out in transition and hit a couple of big threes.” UNC then crushed Notre Dame 84-51. AA: “There was a funny meme showing Armando Bacot with Dean Smith.” (I was unable to locate it.) Virginia Tech beat Louisville 80-64, despite a good game from Brandon Huntley-Hatfield. They are now within 1 game of .500. Georgia Tech beat Wake on “what was basically a buzzer beater”.
Georgia Tech 70-69 Wake Forest (Mar 5, 2024) Video Highlights - ESPN
Wake was 16-0 at home going into that game. Pitt beat Florida State 88-73 and are now 11-8 in the conference. “They are really picking it up at the end of the season.”

A Carrabba’s patron wanted to know “How do you lift your team up?” AA: “Classroom sessions where we show them what they did right and what they need to do better. Our leaders have bene Judah and JJ and they showed great presence in practice.”

John in Liverpool declared this to be a “successful first year. “You didn’t get the cards you might have gotten dealt. You’ve had good success for the hand you were dealt.” He wanted Red to “explain the portal”. Matt and Coach laughed and said that would take the whole show. “Students enter the portal. There’s a list of names that circulates. You comb through it: centers, forwards and guards. It’s run by the NCAA. [In the twitch segment I asked if there is any contact, legal or illegal, before the portal opens. Coach said there isn’t: “that would be tampering.”] Matt: “Is it like Amazon? 6-11 and left-handed? I’m kidding. You’ve got to have a portal guy who finds out who’s open for business.”

John wondered if Coach was “In search of a big guy”. AA: “The first thing is to keep your team together. Then you have to check the league and level and if the player can match up to this level and meet our standards and fit into our culture. They may have been playing 35 minutes a game but they can’t get that here. It’s an exhausting procedure. I saw a stat that teams that had 5 or more portal players haven’t had a lot of success.” They cited NC State, which is in that group and is 17-13 and 9-10 in the conference. Matt said that when you recruit high school players you “build longer relationships but it’s more formative.”

Harry in Newark, NY said that we’ve had a real good year and he wishes nothing but the best for the team. He recalled Adrian playing for us when we beat Georgetown.

Matt mention speculation that the ACC will get only three teams. AA: “I don’t understand it with the success the league has had.” He also noted that Georgia Tech had more Quad 1 wins that …and he didn’t finish that sentence, (that I heard).

Chris from Syracuse was “really happy you got the job” and said that he’s watched Adrian when he played in high school. He thinks Quadir Copeland is “one of our most interesting players since I came to SU in 1975, almost 50 years ago”. [I left SU in 1975.] “His passing is ridiculous”. That statement reduced Coach and matt almost to tears while they laughed. They thought it was a perfect description of Quadir’s passing. AA: “It is – sometimes. He’s creative and talented and sometimes other words I can’t say. It’s organic”. [Now there’s a good word….] “Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. He will grow. He just needs to take a little sugar out.” Matt said getting hit in the side of thread with a pass was an issue and compared Quadir’s passing to Pete Maravich and Joey Spoelstra.

Michael said that he’d had the honor of the last phone call on Jim Boeheim’s last show and now has the honor of the last phone call of Coach Autry’s first season. [It wasn’t.] He just said that he was very proud of the team this year and urged the coach to “show people who you are in the ACC tournament.”

Chris tried to call back but said nothing. [I think he had the show on the radio and there’s a confusing time delay.]

Nelson called as well, with congratulations for the season. He urged fans to give to the Orange United Fund to help Coach build up the program. Matt added: “Collectives associated with other programs will be doing just that.” [Now we don’t just pay for tickets, parking and con cession – and preferred seating and contributions to the University. We have to pay the players, too.]

In the Twitch segment Coach answered my question about getting Maliq some help. “It’s not one on one. It’s our team. Maliq has to move his feet and get around…We have to help build a wall.” [Yes, coach Trump.] “We have to use different concepts and pressure the ball out front.” [I think we lose when we allow it to be one on one.) Matt offered that PJ had also scored 25 points on UNC and Amando Bacot.

I also asked if we’d have room for a center if we have Donnie, Maliq and Chris on our front line. Coach really didn’t answer this. Instead: “We have Naheem for another year. Peter Carey will still be here and we have a 7-1 freshman. I’m excited about the position. Naheem had about 3 blocks and 6-7 rebounds in his 15 minutes of play. [He averaged 13.3 minutes and 4.3 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game.] Matt said he enjoys Naheem’s smile, even when he’s motoring about in the cart he was using after his injury. “He’s the most entertaining player on the team”. AA: “Quadir is #1 in entertainment.”

The Twitch Segment:

Adrian Autry Q&A 3-7-24

And, with that, Thursday becomes just another night of the week.

Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8:30PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. They are again doing a third half hour segment on Twitch: I think I will save myself some time by posting the main show and linking the Twitch segment the next day when it shows up on You-Tube.

Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics The choice, finally is the “Adrian Autry Show” or the “Fran Brown Show”!
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, you’ve just played the 15th toughest schedule in the country, (measured by opponent’s winning percentage*), suffered injuries to several players and some significant defections and yet became the first SU team in a decade to win 20 regular season games. That’s a pretty good start to your career as a head coach.

(* They’ve updated this list and suddenly we’ve fallen from 5th to 16th but our opponent’s winning percentage continues to be one better than the team ranked ahead of us – which is Clemson!

If we wind up in the NIT, will some players opt out like some football players did for our bowl game? Also, how optimistic are you that this bunch of sophomores will stay at Syracuse and reach their potential in an Orange uniform?”

On Twitch I will ask: “Coach, what can be done to give Maliq Brown some help covering the other team’s big man inside?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Matt reported that Red “broke away for recruiting and to see his son play”. Coach Autry: “It’s been a long stretch of games. We battled. This is a chance to get our legs under us.”

At Clemson, “The biggest thing was misinformation and breakdowns, (on defense). They made us pay every time. PJ Hall. Hedging on three pointers. We just didn’t do a good enough job. They had 11 three pointers. Every time we got to within late in the shot clock, they’d get a three pointer from the corner.”

I called in to ask my two main questions, which Coach said were “two great questions.” He said in a way that sounded like he wasn’t so much praising me as confronting two great questions he’s going to have to deal with. “We haven’t gotten that far. We are still thinking about the NCAA tournament….People plan on chasing dreams…(What happened in the bowl game) hasn’t happened in basketball yet. It wouldn’t shock me. I’m hopeful. We have to make decisions…It’s about instant gratification, (these days). I don’t know.” I asked if the school would opt out of the NIT if too many players did so. “We haven’t gotten that far. We’d still want to win any tournament we are in. If we don’t have enough players…But I’m not sure.”

Matt when over the ‘time line’ for decisioning making. “Sunday March 17 is ‘Selection Sunday’. The NIT is on a parallel track. The NCAA puts that field together very late on Sunday. The transfer portal opens the next day. The coaches must have signed off on that.” AA: Someday we’ll have to get that adjusted. People didn’t think about the NIT. The NIT is not the show. But you are representing your school. It’s hard to get into the NIT. There are some 350 schools, (in Division 1, which actually has 362 schools),
And about 90 of them play post season basketball, (actually, it’s 116: 68 in the NCAA tournament, 32 in the NIT and 16 in the College Basketball Invitational: the College Insider Tournament no longer exists). Matt said in foot there’s some 120 teams, (130) and about 100 of them, (90: the 4 teams playoff and 43 bowl games). He added “Nobody wants to look at NIT bracketology”. AA: We are playing our best basketball of the season and want to continue. We completed at Clemson. We battled them on the road. Tournament play is at neutral site.” (Washington DC)

Coach Felisha Legette-Jack of the women’s team was named ACC Coach of the year. AA: “They’ve been big time from the very beginning. You’ve got to beat them. They aren’t going to help you.”

Matt did his trip around the ACC. North Carolina beat NC State 79-70. “They got out in transition and hit a couple of big threes.” UNC then crushed Notre Dame 84-51. AA: “There was a funny meme showing Armando Bacot with Dean Smith.” (I was unable to locate it.) Virginia Tech beat Louisville 80-64, despite a good game from Brandon Huntley-Hatfield. They are now within 1 game of .500. Georgia Tech beat Wake on “what was basically a buzzer beater”.
Wake was 16-0 at home going into that game. Pitt beat Florida State 88-73 and are now 11-8 in the conference. “They are really picking it up at the end of the season.”

A Carrabba’s patron wanted to know “How do you lift your team up?” AA: “Classroom sessions where we show them what they did right and what they need to do better. Our leaders have bene Judah and JJ and they showed great presence in practice.”

John in Liverpool declared this to be a “successful first year. “You didn’t get the cards you might have gotten dealt. You’ve had good success for the hand you were dealt.” He wanted Red to “explain the portal”. Matt and Coach laughed and said that would take the whole show. “Students enter the portal. There’s a list of names that circulates. You comb through it: centers, forwards and guards. It’s run by the NCAA. [In the twitch segment I asked if there is any contact, legal or illegal, before the portal opens. Coach said there isn’t: “that would be tampering.”] Matt: “Is it like Amazon? 6-11 and left-handed? I’m kidding. You’ve got to have a portal guy who finds out who’s open for business.”

John wondered if Coach was “In search of a big guy”. AA: “The first thing is to keep your team together. Then you have to check the league and level and if the player can match up to this level and meet our standards and fit into our culture. They may have been playing 35 minutes a game but they can’t get that here. It’s an exhausting procedure. I saw a stat that teams that had 5 or more portal players haven’t had a lot of success.” They cited NC State, which is in that group and is 17-13 and 9-10 in the conference. Matt said that when you recruit high school players you “build longer relationships but it’s more formative.”

Harry in Newark, NY said that we’ve had a real good year and he wishes nothing but the best for the team. He recalled Adrian playing for us when we beat Georgetown.

Matt mention speculation that the ACC will get only three teams. AA: “I don’t understand it with the success the league has had.” He also noted that Georgia Tech had more Quad 1 wins that …and he didn’t finish that sentence, (that I heard).

Chris from Syracuse was “really happy you got the job” and said that he’s watched Adrian when he played in high school. He thinks Quadir Copeland is “one of our most interesting players since I came to SU in 1975, almost 50 years ago”. [I left SU in 1975.] “His passing is ridiculous”. That statement reduced Coach and matt almost to tears while they laughed. They thought it was a perfect description of Quadir’s passing. AA: “It is – sometimes. He’s creative and talented and sometimes other words I can’t say. It’s organic”. [Now there’s a good word….] “Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. He will grow. He just needs to take a little sugar out.” Matt said getting hit in the side of thread with a pass was an issue and compared Quadir’s passing to Pete Maravich and Joey Spoelstra.

Michael said that he’d had the honor of the last phone call on Jim Boeheim’s last show and now has the honor of the last phone call of Coach Autry’s first season. [It wasn’t.] He just said that he was very proud of the team this year and urged the coach to “show people who you are in the ACC tournament.”

Chris tried to call back but said nothing. [I think he had the show on the radio and there’s a confusing time delay.]

Nelson called as well, with congratulations for the season. He urged fans to give to the Orange United Fund to help Coach build up the program. Matt added: “Collectives associated with other programs will be doing just that.” [Now we don’t just pay for tickets, parking and con cession – and preferred seating and contributions to the University. We have to pay the players, too.]

In the Twitch segment Coach answered my question about getting Maliq some help. “It’s not one on one. It’s our team. Maliq has to move his feet and get around…We have to help build a wall.” [Yes, coach Trump.] “We have to use different concepts and pressure the ball out front.” [I think we lose when we allow it to be one on one.) Matt offered that PJ had also scored 25 points on UNC and Amando Bacot.

I also asked if we’d have room for a center if we have Donnie, Maliq and Chris on our front line. Coach really didn’t answer this. Instead: “We have Naheem for another year. Peter Carey will still be here and we have a 7-1 freshman. I’m excited about the position. Naheem had about 3 blocks and 6-7 rebounds in his 15 minutes of play. [He averaged 13.3 minutes and 4.3 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game.] Matt said he enjoys Naheem’s smile, even when he’s motoring about in the cart he was using after his injury. “He’s the most entertaining player on the team”. AA: “Quadir is #1 in entertainment.”

The Twitch Segment:

Adrian Autry Q&A 3-7-24

Thank you

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

COACH AUTRY

The Twitch Segment:

Adrian Autry Q&A 3-7-24

Thanks Steve, you and I need one more great run in football and basketball.
I think after a long wait, that we finally have 2 coaches to take us home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom