The last play | Syracusefan.com

The last play

cuseguy

Living Legend
I'll never understand why on a play like that you don't create an old school stack with 4 players at the top of the key. It makes it very hard to key on one player, and it probably would have allowed G to get free for a pass.

Instead, we spread 4 players our across the floor, allowing Piit, in this case, to match up and double team G.

Because running nothing is easier.

Seriously though...nothing.

last play in a perfect world

cooney inbounds to g who comes off a double screen to get free from Lydon and Robe

g flies down the court with Mal and TL on the wings, Robe heading down low and cooney as the trailer

0518f364ab551a6228740bc4c51fa2687756af.jpg

The play was poorly designed for so many reasons. Except JB says someone screwed something up - just wonder what/where that thing was supposed to happen.

The play was poorly designed for so many reasons. Except JB says someone screwed something up - just wonder what/where that thing was supposed to happen.
Someone here said they thought Mali was supposed to comeback for the ball but never did.

Someone here said they thought Mali was supposed to comeback for the ball but never did.

As the trailer? Huh, would like to see how that would have played out. Too many variables, obviously if the plan is to do it in the backcourt, just have Cooney inbound it to Mali and let him go to work. Otherwise, you're just wasting precious seconds. If it's in the frontcourt, well, why? It seems like you would be introducing too much unnecessary risk.

Cooney is near the sideline, so that pass would be easy to cut off and defenders tend to sell out at end of game situations. That's why the straight line drive is so fantastic - defenders almost always overcommit and it leaves the rebound open, simple-dump off pass at the rim, lob pass...obviously it doesn't always work out like that, but you see it a bit. I don't know. Wish, wish, wish I could see how it was diagrammed.

Interesting.

i don't care what the last "play" was. plays don't always go as planned, in fact they usually don't, and the point of being a good basketball player is adaptation. virtually any decent guard in america could have easily gotten to the rim in 6.6 seconds. our guy pulled up for a 28 footer with 3 seconds left and no rebounders. dion would have been at the bucket with 2 seconds left. it is what it is, we have limited talent and we are in the NIT.

I'll never understand why on a play like that you don't create an old school stack with 4 players at the top of the key. It makes it very hard to key on one player, and it probably would have allowed G to get free for a pass.

Instead, we spread 4 players our across the floor, allowing Piit, in this case, to match up and double team G.

I just watched the second half. Saw the first half on my phone at lunch. Geez, it was worse than all the descriptions. Poorly coached end. Should have left the press on, and cooney on the bench.

Cooney just wanted to do a 10-year anniversary tribute to his coach.

But of course, he's no GMac.

GIF-BASKETBALL-V2.gif

97315905-syracuse-oranges-gerry-mcnamara-goes-for-a-gettyimages.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors