The Most Dominant Seasons in Major League History | Syracusefan.com

The Most Dominant Seasons in Major League History

http://mlb-teams.pointafter.com/sto...ource=outbrain&utm_campaign=ao.cm.ob.dt.11064

Note that his is not quite the same as the greatest teams of all time. It's an evaluation fo their domiance in a season. The #1 team is an interesting choice. I didn't know they had the highest run differential of all time. Imagine if they hadn't lost one of their star players! They dominated anyway.
98 Yankees (#3) are the best team I've ever seen. Not too far into the season no matter how far behind they might get in a game I was totally confident they would win.

98 Yankees (#3) are the best team I've ever seen. Not too far into the season no matter how far behind they might get in a game I was totally confident they would win.

I felt the same about the '86 Mets.

in 1998 im guessing I went to about 30 games, I think I saw 4 losses.

maybe 5.

and I think 2 were after they had clinched in like august.

just incredible.

maybe 5.

just incredible.

Absolutely and they basically steamrolled through the playoffs if I remember correctly, which to me is truly an elite team as the playoffs can really throw even great teams for a loop. That team was incredible

http://mlb-teams.pointafter.com/sto...ource=outbrain&utm_campaign=ao.cm.ob.dt.11064

Note that his is not quite the same as the greatest teams of all time. It's an evaluation fo their domiance in a season. The #1 team is an interesting choice. I didn't know they had the highest run differential of all time. Imagine if they hadn't lost one of their star players! They dominated anyway.
Those Yankees teams in the 1930s were run scoring machines in an era of tremendous offense. That '39 team had a young DiMaggio, Keller and Gordon, Dickey in his prime, and got an incredible year from George Selkirk. Not the Yankee team most would think of when naming their best teams, but they were statistically dominant.
1939 New York Yankees Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Last edited:

maybe 5.

just incredible.

My Dad's company had a box to Yankees stadium that year, I got to see about ten games from the 2nd row, even though I'm a Met fan, it was great.

My Dad's company had a box to Yankees stadium that year, I got to see about ten games from the 2nd row, even though I'm a Met fan, it was great.
The real Yankee Stadium.

The real Yankee Stadium.
The Real Yankee Stadium for sure, but go to more than 2 games a year and you would know how bad it absolutely sucked.

Absolutely and they basically steamrolled through the playoffs if I remember correctly, which to me is truly an elite team as the playoffs can really throw even great teams for a loop. That team was incredible

They had a minor issue with Cleveland in the ALCS. They were down 2-1 playing at Cleveland for Game 4. El Duque won his first playoff start that night and they beat the tribe in 6.

I felt the same about the '86 Mets.

I felt the same about the 1994 Expos, who were playing exactly .700 baseball in the 100 games prior to the strike. F Bud Selig and Don Fehr. F The Expos Yokel Consortium who tore the team apart the next year.

I felt the same about the 1994 Expos, who were playing exactly .700 baseball in the 100 games prior to the strike. F Bud Selig and Don Fehr. F The Expos Yokel Consortium who tore the team apart the next year.
sorry, but 1994...is the Yankees missing Ring.

sorry, but 1994...is the Yankees missing Ring.

Did you just sniff as much coke as the Yanks closer that year?

The Expos top 3 starters of Pedro/ Ken Hill / Jeff Fassero were much better than the Yanks who only had one really above average starter that year. And the Expos had John Wetteland as a closer. Certainly Yanks fans know how good a closer he was.

Plus the Expos had the best OF in baseball that year in Walker/Alou/Grissom (although the Yanks was great as well)... Expos also had there C and SS playing in the All Star game.

On paper this matchup was not really that close -- sure anything can happen in a 7 game series. But you would have to be extremely biased to believe the Yanks had the best team in baseball that year.

Last edited: