The most interesting thing about the 2016/17 Orange | Syracusefan.com

The most interesting thing about the 2016/17 Orange

billsin01

All American
I'll start with the caveat that I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with AWIII nor exactly what to expect from all the newcomers (the three frosh, the transfers, etc.). But, from reading about them I think one of the more interesting things with this group is how many different looks this team can potentially throw out there.

The three things this team hasn't done much of in recent years are:

1) get out on the break and steal some easy buckets
2) recruit kids who excel at creating their own opportunities and running the floor aggressively
3) recruit centers who are big-time rim protectors (at least dating back to Fab).

This team, though, projects to have at least some of all those things. You have Battle and potentially Gillon (if you trust the scouting reports from this article) that appear to be guys who can beat you off the bounce. You've got Chukwu, who remains a bit of a mystery, but also stands 7'2" and by default would be a big body in the middle of the zone. And you've got depth for the first time in a while (Gillon, Battle Howard and potentially AWIII playing guard; Roberson, Lydon and the two frosh at forward and Chukwu/Coleman in the middle), which theoretically should lead to at least an opportunity to run without concern of too much of a dropoff if you need to sub more liberally.

Additionally you have some different looks at each spot on the floor:

Point guard: Howard is a really interesting player, IMO. Tall, rangy, good handle and I think potentially a better shooter than he showed (though maybe not really a shooter, per se). Then there's Gillon who could be a liability in the zone but potentially offers a bit more quickness in the position. Battle possibly?

Shooting guard: AWIII and Battle -- two pretty different players with Battle a threat off the bounce and White more of a shooter.

SF: White (see above), Lydon. Lydon screams breakout based on what he did last year but offers a ton of versatility, potentially. Can play big offensively and defensively, but stretch the defense with his shooting and run the floor. May even put the ball on the floor a bit more this year.

PF: Lydon (see above) and Roberson. Don't know that we can count on a breakout from Roberson but I wouldn't be shocked if we see a more assertive, confident Roberson offensively. Seniors tend to emerge in this program and at times Roberson looks like he could hit some mid-range jumpers and if he simply finishes a bit better in the paint you'd expect his already decent offensive numbers (9 ppg on 52% shooting) could look much better (at least the per minute numbers).

C: Chukwu, Coleman. Coleman is unlikely to give us too much more than what we've seen but a healthy Coleman could legitimately improve a bit and use his body more effectively on both ends of the floor. Chukwu sounds like a catch and finish guy mostly but gives you the shot-blocking potential.

Who knows how it all plays out -- but it should be a pretty fascinating group of players.

The "Pick your poison" Orange...
How do you want to lose? Up tempo, defensive struggle, 3point shootout, pound it out under the rim basketball? We can oblige you...

The "Pick your poison" Orange...
How do you want to lose? Up tempo, defensive struggle, 3point shootout, pound it out under the rim basketball? We can oblige you...

That would be awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom