The paper article about Tyler and Malachi is more than interesting-- | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The paper article about Tyler and Malachi is more than interesting--

well sure, it's easy to say he will play more at the 2, considering he hasn't played there at all this year. But I think he has proven to JB this year that he can play on the back line in the zone, so if ball handling and distribution are priorities against a particular D, Frankie mans the point and you can move Tyus over to be the finisher/slasher with Mali next to him doing the same from the other side of the floor. That is a lethal half court offense no matter who is the 4/5, and you don't get that without Mal getting some PT as a forward.

I understand where you're coming from, but I have a hard time seeing both Roberson and Moyer on the bench at the same time. Lydon is a pretty good rebounder, and Mali does OK, but I think Mali is ready to make the move to guard. He is probably our best driver right now, and he obviously has 3 point range.

Yes of course but the real deal here is if a GM in the NBAdecides to take pass by offering a huge bank account to the kid who decides now is better than later. Tyler wouldn't be the first to think money first. they might tell him he can develop in a lower level and still have the $in his account.How many players have we lost recently who should have stayed here longer. Tyler isn't a DONE DEAL!!
Actually, not many. Donte was a 1st rounder. So was Flynn, MCW, Ennis, Fab, Dion, etc. The only head scratchers were Harris and Devo who left for other reasons. If you're a 1st rounder, you go, and it's not a bad decision no matter what your team's fans think.

Why would they leave college without their degrees??

Are gas stations suddenly paying a whole lot more for their attendants??

Is there a job glut that I'm missing??

Why would they leave college without their degrees??

Are gas stations suddenly paying a whole lot more for their attendants??

Is there a job glut that I'm missing??
Not sure if you're serious, but even if they fail at the NBA, which they most likely would RIGHT NOW, making six-figures playing professionally overseas (Italy, China, Israel, Ukraine) surely isn't equivalent to a gas station attendant.

Not sure if you're serious, but even if they fail at the NBA, which they most likely would RIGHT NOW, making six-figures playing professionally overseas (Italy, China, Israel, Ukraine) surely isn't equivalent to a gas station attendant.
They won't make it overseas leaving now either.

In a real league??
In a real league yes. Triche led his team to the Italian league championship last year, scoring in the 20s. Contract was for about $135k, and I'm sure plenty more in "benefits". A far cry from a "gas station attendant". I don't think Malachi or Lydon in another year are that off from Triche.

"I just have a hard time seeing Lydon at the 3."

Ditto.

I hear you, but this is from JBs show, via SWC post:

"Back to basketball: Bob In Florida wanted to know about the incoming recruiting class: how will we replace Michael Gbinije and Trevor Cooney”. “We’ve got a 6-6 guard, Tyus Battle. We plan to move Malachi to the 2 guard spot. We’ve got Frank Howard and Kaleb Joseph, so we’ve got guards. We are happy with them. We’ve got guys who can shoot, plus a 7-2 guy.

Jim was asked about Paschal Chukwu. “We are very happy with Paschal. We need him to eat more.” (I could coach him in that.) He’s a defense first player. He could be dominant. We’re not strong in the middle. He played 10 minutes a game for Providence. He got 3-4 points and rebounds a game and a blocked shot. If you extrapolate that, it’s pretty good. But they didn’t need him.” Who wouldn’t need a 7-2 shot blocker? He averaged 9.9 minutes, 2.6 points, 2.4 rebounds and 0.7 blocks. Per 40 minutes that’s 10.7 points, 9.9 rebounds and 2.7 blocks. I’ll take that. “We can move Tyler Lydon back to forward.” Gomez asked what the coach thought of Tyler’s moustache. JB: “I don’t get involved with moustaches. I just care how they play.”"

Looks to me Mal will be predominantly a 2, which leaves Lydon predominantly a 3 as no way TRob is a 3...

I was thinking starting lineup next year would be Battle, Howard, Mal, TRob, Paschal, w Lydon being first off bench. But based on JBs recent comments i am now assuming Battle, Mal, Lydon, TRob, Paschal, w Howard being first off bench. If so, who Howard comes in for off the bench will be interesting. He comes in for Battle? Or he comes in for say TRob so we can spread the court better. If so will Mal or Battle slide to 3? Lydon would obviously slide to 4.

"I just have a hard time seeing Lydon at the 3."

I hear you, but this is from JBs show, via SWC post:

"Back to basketball: Bob In Florida wanted to know about the incoming recruiting class: how will we replace Michael Gbinije and Trevor Cooney”. “We’ve got a 6-6 guard, Tyus Battle. We plan to move Malachi to the 2 guard spot. We’ve got Frank Howard and Kaleb Joseph, so we’ve got guards. We are happy with them. We’ve got guys who can shoot, plus a 7-2 guy.

Jim was asked about Paschal Chukwu. “We are very happy with Paschal. We need him to eat more.” (I could coach him in that.) He’s a defense first player. He could be dominant. We’re not strong in the middle. He played 10 minutes a game for Providence. He got 3-4 points and rebounds a game and a blocked shot. If you extrapolate that, it’s pretty good. But they didn’t need him.” Who wouldn’t need a 7-2 shot blocker? He averaged 9.9 minutes, 2.6 points, 2.4 rebounds and 0.7 blocks. Per 40 minutes that’s 10.7 points, 9.9 rebounds and 2.7 blocks. I’ll take that. “We can move Tyler Lydon back to forward.” Gomez asked what the coach thought of Tyler’s moustache. JB: “I don’t get involved with moustaches. I just care how they play.”"

Looks to me Mal will be predominantly a 2, which leaves Lydon predominantly a 3 as no way TRob is a 3...

I was thinking starting lineup next year would be Battle, Howard, Mal, TRob, Paschal, w Lydon being first off bench. But based on JBs recent comments i am now assuming Battle, Mal, Lydon, TRob, Paschal, w Howard being first off bench. If so, who Howard comes in for off the bench will be interesting. He comes in for Battle? Or he comes in for say TRob so we can spread the court better. If so will Mal or Battle slide to 3? Lydon would obviously slide to 4.

I get it -- if Richardson shifts to 2, then there is a starting spot available at 3 open that Lydon could fill. However, let's consider a recent example. The 2015 team [Rak's senior year] started McCullough at 4 and Roberson at 3. Roberson struggled immensely--partially because he was inexperienced, but also because he didn't have [1] a skill set to be a 3, and [2] a complimentary game to McCullough that made the combo work. They were two power forwards, and that lineup combination didn't work.

Now, I think that Lydon has more versatility than Roberson did / does. And he can shoot like a 3. I just don't know if he can do anything else like 3s usually do in our offense, or if he can play effectively in a lineup that features Roberson and Chukwu both clogging the lane inside.

COULD that lineup work? Maybe. Will it? I have my doubts.

In general, people get too hung up on positions. But having complimentary skill sets is really important. I don't know that either Fair / Southerland during our Final Four year of 2013 were pure 3s or 4s. They were both combos. But they could play together and space the floor. Not sure that Lydon / Roberson could do that nearly as effectively [again, with another guy out there playing post]. Roberson / McCullough couldn't do it at all.

I get it -- if Richardson shifts to 2, then there is a starting spot available at 3 open that Lydon could fill. However, let's consider a recent example. The 2015 team [Rak's senior year] started McCullough at 4 and Roberson at 3. Roberson struggled immensely--partially because he was inexperienced, but also because he didn't have [1] a skill set to be a 3, and [2] a complimentary game to McCullough that made the combo work. They were two power forwards, and that lineup combination didn't work.

Now, I think that Lydon has more versatility than Roberson did / does. And he can shoot like a 3. I just don't know if he can do anything else like 3s usually do in our offense, or if he can play effectively in a lineup that features Roberson and Chukwu both clogging the lane inside.

COULD that lineup work? Maybe. Will it? I have my doubts.

In general, people get too hung up on positions. But having complimentary skill sets is really important. I don't know that either Fair / Southerland during our Final Four year of 2013 were pure 3s or 4s. They were both combos. But they could play together and space the floor. Not sure that Lydon / Roberson could do that nearly as effectively [again, with another guy out there playing post]. Roberson / McCullough couldn't do it at all.
I agree w you. There are two things: whats ideal and then whats reality. I get a little nervous thinking about a lineup of Battle, Mal, Lydon, Trob, and a center. Ball handling will not be a big strength imo. Thats a very good rebounding lineup and has plenty of scoring punch, BUT can top opponents force that lineup into sloppy mistakes w ball pressure?

When you look at what golden state and San antonio are doing in nba, i like the thought of a lineup that can spread the court. Clearly this year JB has favored the lineup of Lydon, TRob, Mal, TC and G because we have 4 shooters. I like the potential next year of Battle, Howard, Mal, Lydon, Paschal for the same reason- we have good ball handling, might have 4 shooters and at least should be able to really spread the floor and let Mal do what he does best (shoot, also drive) and let Kid Mamba do what he does best, drive it. Also Howard (and Battle) should be able to distribute to several nice scoring options. Hopefully that lineup can rebound and defend well enough, i dont know? Would suck to have to take a talented senior like TRob off the court for an extended period of time. But anyway next year should have multiple nice options

Last edited:
It states that both could use another year here in the program. If both listen to Jimmy their return next year bodes extremely well for Jimmy. Now if he can bring in Taurean Thompson I think we see a FF team.We lose Trevor and thats a big loss regardless of your feelings about him. I regard him highly. He isn't just a 3 point shot player. His ball handling skills since he arrived has improved a very great deal as has his ability to drive to the basket and his stealing the ball from opponents. I think that Frank Howard will progress as a pg far more than what Kaleb has shown which is nothing. The pre-season hype for the Orange in 2016-17 should be big unless I'm missing something here which I'm sure will be responded by all the gurus here.

Thompson, if we were to get him, as a 4 star freshmen, would see little playing time next year. Hardly a factor.

JB will always start, or at least give the most minutes to...the bes5 on the team.

therefore i just assumed next year would be battle, mal, lydon, trob and P with DC & howard off the bench.

JB will always start, or at least give the most minutes to...the bes5 on the team.

therefore i just assumed next year would be battle, mal, lydon, trob and P with DC & howard off the bench.
Agree, not convinced there will be many minutes for Moyer...or Thompson if he comes. If DC comes back not sure why TT would want to come here (if he wants to play a lot his freshman yr)

Don't forget about Moyer...He hasn't been mentioned much and he's mistakenly being overlooked.

Don't forget about Moyer...He hasn't been mentioned much and he's mistakenly being overlooked.
I like him as a player...a lot. But he clearly needs to put on some weight. If we have Lydon, TRob, and Mal or Battle playing some frwd next year. How is Moyer going to get a lot of playing time over those guys? I doubt he shoots it better than Lydon or esp Mal. I doubt he gives us a better ball handler than Mal. I doubt he rebounds better than TRob, or even Lydon for that matter.

Or you just think his all around game will be That good? Should be interesting to see...

I like the potential next year of Battle, Howard, Mal, Lydon, Paschal for the same reason- we have good ball handling, might have 4 shooters and at least should be able to really spread the floor
Howard isn't a shooter. His defender will sag off. We need KJ to transfer and Diallo to reclassify and sign on the dotted line.

Howard isn't a shooter. His defender will sag off. We need KJ to transfer and Diallo to reclassify and sign on the dotted line.
I agree he certainly is not a shooter now, but that could change. Remember, G couldnt shoot much 2 seasons ago. But now look at the bomb he made against VT , that was serious range and his % is very good.

The ball is going to be in Howards hands a fair amount next year. If the d sags on him and a passing lane is not there, he needs to toe the line and fire that 3. I dont see why he cant develop that shot. Young kids improve, or at least if you want to win a title they better

In a real league yes. Triche led his team to the Italian league championship last year, scoring in the 20s. Contract was for about $135k, and I'm sure plenty more in "benefits". A far cry from a "gas station attendant". I don't think Malachi or Lydon in another year are that off from Triche.
Of course not Just how seriously they take the academic part of their college experience is the real focus point for bot. Actually this applies to all student athletes. The vast majority will NOT go to the professional ranks.

Agree, not convinced there will be many minutes for Moyer...or Thompson if he comes. If DC comes back not sure why TT would want to come here (if he wants to play a lot his freshman yr)

that's the million dollar question. I would LOVE to land Thompson. But if I were him, I'd look at the situation and think: not going to get too many minutes at the 4, with Roberson / Lydon / Moyer.

And not going to get a ton of PT at the 5, with Chukwu / Coleman.

At least not in year 1. Year 2, he could start--especially if Chukwu blows up and goes pro. Or if Moyer is more of a 3. Would love to land TT, I just fear that his zeal for immediate PT [which he apparently has stated as one of his evaluative criteria] might limit our chances, even though he could potentially be a three year starter.

I like him as a player...a lot. But he clearly needs to put on some weight. If we have Lydon, TRob, and Mal or Battle playing some frwd next year. How is Moyer going to get a lot of playing time over those guys? I doubt he shoots it better than Lydon or esp Mal. I doubt he gives us a better ball handler than Mal. I doubt he rebounds better than TRob, or even Lydon for that matter.

Or you just think his all around game will be That good? Should be interesting to see...

It should be interesting. I could see him getting 10-12 minutes a game at the 3/4, a la J Smooth back in '10-'11 (albeit completely different players).

that's the million dollar question. I would LOVE to land Thompson. But if I were him, I'd look at the situation and think: not going to get too many minutes at the 4, with Roberson / Lydon / Moyer.

And not going to get a ton of PT at the 5, with Chukwu / Coleman.

At least not in year 1. Year 2, he could start--especially if Chukwu blows up and goes pro. Or if Moyer is more of a 3. Would love to land TT, I just fear that his zeal for immediate PT [which he apparently has stated as one of his evaluative criteria] might limit our chances, even though he Taurean would get in there earlier a much higher ceiling going forward.DC hasn't gotten to his 5 star rating.Expecting that to happen next year is extremely optimistic. Physically Thompson is there without having weighed 300lbs to dame his body/legs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom