The Parent's Guide to Football Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

The Parent's Guide to Football Recruiting

jekelish

Living Legend
bcubs9497, Bambrewer, and Kelly029x (or more specifically, her husband who hasn't joined the board yet) were all gracious enough to indulge me in peppering them with questions about what it's like to be a parent during the college football recruiting process.

Here's what they told me:

http://.com/parental-guidance-behind-the-scenes-of-football-recruiting/

bcubs9497, Bambrewer, and Kelly029x (or more specifically, her husband who hasn't joined the board yet) were all gracious enough to indulge me in peppering them with questions about what it's like to be a parent during the college football recruiting process.

Great read, nice story!

We are getting Ron set up with his own account.

good read. Would like some further clarification on the "letters were worthless". Does someone care to further explain? If the letters are worthless, why do they send them to recruits? Or are they worthless meaning, they are mass mailed and dont mean an offer is imminent? Just curious.

good read. Would like some further clarification on the "letters were worthless". Does someone care to further explain? If the letters are worthless, why do they send them to recruits? Or are they worthless meaning, they are mass mailed and dont mean an offer is imminent? Just curious.
This wasn't said in that exchange, but I'm basing it off of everything else I've ever read or been told: basically, it's a mass mailing thing, unless it's hand written. At the D3 school where I work, even some of the football players here used to get D1 letters. Schools send them out to a thousand prospects or more.

This wasn't said in that exchange, but I'm basing it off of everything else I've ever read or been told: basically, it's a mass mailing thing, unless it's hand written. At the D3 school where I work, even some of the football players here used to get D1 letters. Schools send them out to a thousand prospects or more.

When you see pictures of living rooms full of letters from schools on Twitter (like Robert Washington not that long ago) it seems pointless. Sending a kid 100 mass mailed letters in one day sounds interesting, but is basically worthless after awhile as the families haven o get tired of keeping and storing that many letters, or throwing them all away.

Handwritten is different of course, but still no major adjustment in thinking

I think he is talking about the early mailings. Kinda like the letters shy got sophomore year from nebraska. They have you sign up and give your info so they can contact your school and coach to see if they have intrest. You get a lot of these from schools that never pan out. Shy even got one from Stanford late. They are really just feeler mailings. Those mass mailings shy got from syracuse shy actually liked. They came pretty much 3 or 4 times a week. Shy hung them all up on his wall. He enjoyed those.

The letters are basically meaningless. Anyone with any talent what so ever will get questionarre's. Others are just mass mailing. You get far fewer actual phone calls, then letters.

Sure. Every form letter is worthless. All getting one means is that the recruit is on a list, a big list, that WILL get whittled down. Hand-written letters, on the other hand, are more meaningful. It means that the recruit has made the short list.

The letters are basically meaningless. Anyone with any talent what so ever will get questionarre's. Others are just mass mailing. You get far fewer actual phone calls, then letters.

That's pretty much true. Although, I have seen worthless players get questionnaires just because they have the prototypical size for a position. Getting a questionnaire in no way means that a school is really serious. It does mean that the recruit is on a list.

Robert Washington Sr‏@CoachDubb80 28m28 minutes ago
What a great piece by @ for recruits, parents and family to read. http://.com/parental-guidance-behind-the-scenes-of-football-recruiting/…

Jekelish - outstanding piece - a must read! And a big thank you to the 3 parents who contributed! Now I am pumped and can't wait for football season to start! Go Cuse!

bcubs9497 said:
That's pretty much true. Although, I have seen worthless players get questionnaires just because they have the prototypical size for a position. Getting a questionnaire in no way means that a school is really serious. It does mean that the recruit is on a list.

Yep. Well aware. Went through the process myself. You know exactly who is and who isn't interested really quick.

Does this mean Otto's Grove is famous?

Would fans of other schools actually read the article and pass it along even if it isn't about their school?

I have no idea, but good work as always jekelish
Probably not - mainly because it's still a pretty fantastic advertisement for Syracuse football, based on all of the glowing things that Steve, Ron, and John had to say...but I hope recruits and their parents - whether they're considering SU or not - read the second page. So many scumbags out there trying to take money from kids and families who might not be able to afford it, and they don't deliver anything other than a t-shirt in return.

Probably not - mainly because it's still a pretty fantastic advertisement for Syracuse football, based on all of the glowing things that Steve, Ron, and John had to say...but I hope recruits and their parents - whether they're considering SU or not - read the second page. So many scumbags out there trying to take money from kids and families who might not be able to afford it, and they don't deliver anything other than a t-shirt in return.

Is there a way to promote that second page as a non-SU related thing? Because like you said it's great info for parents and kids out there. The more people who read it the better. But I don't know how to separate the SU bias from it.

Is there a way to promote that second page as a non-SU related thing? Because like you said it's great info for parents and kids out there. The more people who read it the better. But I don't know how to separate the SU bias from it.
I mean, I can link directly to that page, but obviously it'll still be within the entire article. Otherwise, it would need to be separated out into an entire different thing.

Yep. Well aware. Went through the process myself. You know exactly who is and who isn't interested really quick.

Yep, it doesn't take long to figure that out. Sometimes, though, the lack of interest isn't really a lack of interest, but rather getting lost in the clutter. Coaches literally get hundreds of emails a day from recruiting services, parents, players, etc. It can be difficult to ping out against that kind of clutter.

And quite often, those t-shirts suck!